Sign in with
Your question

New Gaming System Build.Advice needed.

Last response: in Systems
November 4, 2011 9:50:53 AM

Hello guys, greetings from Greece!I am new to this forum! I need some advice about my future pc build. :wahoo: 
Currently i have been searching pc hardware parts for my new gaming build for a week and still cannot decide my final build.
1st option: I have ended up with i5 2500k(197 euros),as it seems the best cpu in its price range,although in the end i may buy the non-k version,cause overclocking is not in my near future plans.I still cannot decide either to buy amd's 6870(sapphire) or nvidia's 560gtx(Gigabyte SOC),i have seen a lot of benchmarks and reviews about these Gpus and so far i haven't found any major differences between them in games,these cards performance is similar.
I will be using 17 inches lcd display,so my playing resolution will be 1280x1024,maybe next year i will buy new LCD screen,if things will go well here in Greece. Maybe these cards are overkill for this resolution,but as i said i will probably buy new lcd screen in the future.
In addition i don't know if i should decide nvidia gtx 560(non-ti) over 6870 only because it supports Physx in games,i really dont know if its worth cause it has a performance hit on frames in exchange for more eye candy physics.
My mobo choice is P67 As Rock Pro3 (B3 revision) great mobo in my opinion,i dont want to go with z68 chipset,it may have more features but its not for my needs.
My ram choice is DDR3 1600mhz Corsair Vengeance 4gb(2x2 kit).
PSU Corsair GS 600 Gaming Series!48A on 12V Rail!
2nd Option: On the other hand my alternative CPU choice is Phenom x4 980 Black Edition,i know intel sandy bridge series beats this cpu in most performance benchmarks,but this phenom beast has a great price(155 Euro ) and decent performance,plus i save some money on mobo. As a result i can even afford to buy gtx560 Ti or 6950(220-230 euros). :sol: 
So guys my dilemma is:i5 2500k with 6870/GTX560 or PhenomX4,980 with 560TI/6950.And some advice about Physx,i really like it in Batman Arkham Asylum,but still not many games support it as they should,or even maybe in the near future Physx wont be Nvidia's exclusive feature.
Waiting for your opinions!
My budget limit is 700 euros(966 USD) but as you know here in Europe prices are more high than in US.
P.S. I am not interested in overclocking or SLI/Crossfire Builds.I just need a future proof system that will last some years.In my opinion 2500k or non-K will last and perform more/ better than Phenom x4! So i can stick with 6870/GTX560 and i could probably upgrade the gpu only in the future if things go bad with fps performance in new games.
a b 4 Gaming
November 4, 2011 10:14:47 AM

When gaming, GPU is more impt than CPU.
a b 4 Gaming
November 4, 2011 10:16:02 AM

A lot of your post is contradicting yourself. If your not interested in OC'ing, why even bring the rest of the info about "So guys my dilemma is:i5 2500k with 6870/GTX560 or PhenomX4,980 with 560TI/6950". Our "hobby" here is to help you out as best as possible. You keep going in circles with your post.

What I am going to do since you said its about $955 USD I'm gonna build you one that will hopefully satisfy you. It will most likely require SLI and will give you the ability to OC
Related resources
a b 4 Gaming
November 4, 2011 10:30:17 AM

With this build I could still kick you up to a 2500k if you were more sure of yourself. If we knew what games you are hoping to play we could probably tell you which GPU would best fit. This build is less than $966 on our newegg.com hopefully it will furfill you price

Case: Find a cheap one you like (Antec got some good ones for $50)
CPU: Phenom x4 955 (its OC able just incase...)
Mobo: M4A87TD EVO AM3 AMD 870
RAM: Any 2x2GB thats 1333 (if you can afford it the $45 8GB 1600)
HDD: 500GB Samsung F3 or Seagate Barracuda (hopefully you have amazon)
GPU: Go with SLI 460's (cost a little less then $300, packs more punch than a 560 Ti)
DVD: Any $20 CD/DVD player will be fine
PSU: 600W will work
November 4, 2011 1:17:29 PM

EMelth you are right about my post and i understand your confusion!Obviously i am confused thats why i asked for help at this forum,look man i am not looking to OC so even i5 2500(non k) is an option.
So about games,i am looking to play Battlefield 3,Skyrim,Arkham City,Mass Effect 3,Assassins Creed Revelations etc etc As i saw from GPU Benchmark reviews 6870 has a decent performance in BF3 with High/Ultra Settings in resoultion higher than i seek to play so thats ok for me i think.

I want to rephrase my line of thought and explain better my dilemma.
Should i buy "CPU-GPU'' build with Intel i5 2500+Radeon 6870?(Put more money on CPU and less on GPU)
Or should i buy ''CPU-GPU'' build with Amd Phenom x4+Better GPU than 6870?(Save money on CPU and buy better GPU than 6870)
Thats what i am thinking.
a b 4 Gaming
November 4, 2011 1:22:08 PM

You should go Phenom II x4 955 + 6870. It will max everything at your res. 1280 x 1024 right?

When you up your res, the 6870 will still perform splendidly.

The money saved should go to your monitor fund.
a b 4 Gaming
November 4, 2011 1:34:55 PM

Cute, you are rocking my world with all the 955 advice we are giving out today lol rofl

^+1
November 4, 2011 1:36:58 PM

If you do not want to overclock, do NOT buy a "k" branded intel CPU. That would just be a waste of money, minor but still a waste. If you want to "future proof" your cpu, then the latest intel sandy bridges preform much better than Phenom X4's. However, that's just for CPUs and if you wanted to do things other than gaming.

If you want decent level of gaming, go with Emelth's build. What's wrong with SLI? Are electricity costs too high where you live? If you want to play BF3, dual 460's might barely get you to 1920X1080 at ultra with some stuttering. I would suggest an nvidia gpu because they tend to have better drivers but if there's a sale on an amd card thats amazing, then go with that. Next time before you post, please try to have a better idea of what you actually want or perhaps, phrase it better.
a b 4 Gaming
November 4, 2011 1:39:43 PM

With your resolution it doesn't take much to run any game. 6850 is going to be overkill :lol: 
a b 4 Gaming
November 4, 2011 1:45:38 PM

Hopefully we have given you enough advice or detail, please dont hesitate to ask more questions (we do it because we love it). Seriously just the other day I talked ot one guy for 3 maybe even 4 hours about his build.

Damn I got no life.... Na just not busy at work ROFL!
November 4, 2011 2:08:24 PM

jerrbear89 said:
If you do not want to overclock, do NOT buy a "k" branded intel CPU. That would just be a waste of money, minor but still a waste. If you want to "future proof" your cpu, then the latest intel sandy bridges preform much better than Phenom X4's. However, that's just for CPUs and if you wanted to do things other than gaming.

If you want decent level of gaming, go with Emelth's build. What's wrong with SLI? Are electricity costs too high where you live? If you want to play BF3, dual 460's might barely get you to 1920X1080 at ultra with some stuttering. I would suggest an nvidia gpu because they tend to have better drivers but if there's a sale on an amd card thats amazing, then go with that. Next time before you post, please try to have a better idea of what you actually want or perhaps, phrase it better.

There is nothing wrong with SLI mate i have found Evga Gtx 460 1gb FTW it costs 150 EURO so 300 euro for SLI=415 USD.For the info
Here in Greece VAT is 23% so the prices are very high if compared to US price market or even to other European countries like UK.
As for PSU i think Corsair GS 600 Gaming Series will do its job for this type of build. For Cpu maybe i should buy Phenom x4 980, Its only 155 euros here its pretty cheap,while x4 955 costs 110 euros.I can afford the 980?Should i go with it? :) 
Thanks for the feedback guys. :) 
a b 4 Gaming
November 4, 2011 2:14:52 PM

Yeah go for it if you got the funds
November 4, 2011 2:16:09 PM

Damn, I'm sorry to hear that... that's so expensive compared to the US... Have you considering going with an X3 and trying to unlock the dormant 4th core? I think 455 are like $80 here, there's a chance it won't unlock but there's also a chance you'd save around 50 euros.
November 4, 2011 2:32:26 PM

Yeap its expensive mate, things got fucked up here in Greece since 2009,before 2009 VAT was like 18 or 19%.I can afford Phenom X4 980 but maybe instead of buying two Gtx460 ,should i buy 560ti Twin Frozr 2 it costs 220 euros i save like 80euros.How about this idea guys?
November 4, 2011 2:36:39 PM

Yeah a friend of mine has an EVGA 560Ti, at your current resolution, it'll run just fine. He can run BF3 on ultra at 1080 smoothly with an occasional stutter.
a b 4 Gaming
November 4, 2011 2:37:02 PM

IMO get the 6950 if it's priced reasonably in your country (might be a bit higher than 560 Ti but it's worth it - 6950 perf is closer to 570 anyway).
November 4, 2011 9:38:10 PM

@Finneous yeah its has same price tag as 560 TI but i want Physx Enabled in Batman Arkham City and Mafia 2. I think 560 Ti will do well in BF3,as i have seen in benchmarks 45-60 FPS. But anyway thanks guys.
a b 4 Gaming
November 4, 2011 10:19:03 PM

PhysX is a gimmick, don't fall for it :p 
November 4, 2011 10:33:18 PM

Hello fellow Greek!
First of all let me start by saying that it is hard to pick just a single shop in Greece. Myself i always get my things from vision studio (Mobo/Ram/HDD/SSD), digital master (dvd/psu), eworld (case/cooling/OC materials and case modding), plaisio/multirama for monitors and processors. The reason is obvious, visionstudio has no stock and has the best variety so as the mentioned parts drop in price they will always have the lowest available, digital master has free shipping and tends to do awesome prices on the said parts, eworld only sells top parts for the best price and finally plaisio/multirama will offer free shipping and can be found all around greece so you won't have to be afraid of RMA while on these hardware parts they are not too far away from the rest of the eshops in greece.
Now... Your budget is narrow so you got to make a decision. Either you will go with an "all-rounder" small caliber system that will play your games now but who knows in 3 years, or you can invest in futureproofing that means spending about 150 euros in horsepower that you will need if you ever upgrade.
I love the 2500k but if you won't overclock then there is not a reason to get it. It is like buying a ferrari and using it as you would use a smart. That being said, you can have a look at the golf that combines both worlds. Here is what i propose to you:
CPU - i5 2400 166Euro http://www.digital-master.gr/el-gr/Products.aspx?Elemen...
Ram - Kingston 8giga 47Euro http://www.visionstudio.gr/prodinfo.asp?id=23578&cat=4
Mobo - Z68MA-D2H-B3 104Euro http://www.visionstudio.gr/prodinfo.asp?id=24697&cat=3
Case - Thermaltake MSI Commander 44Euro http://www.visionstudio.gr/prodinfo.asp?id=25389&cat=1
GPU - Asus 6950 1gb 218Euros http://www.syncom.gr/pegasus/products01/show00.php?code...
PSU - OCZ StealthXtream 500w 52Euro http://www.digital-master.gr/el-gr/Products.aspx?Elemen...
HDD - WD Caviar Black 65Euro http://www.my-shop.gr/eshop/catalog/product_info.php?pr...

Grand total = 696

Nice and tidy eh? A few words...

The Mobo is not the best in the world but it WILL do what you want it to. The PSU is solid but you can never put something more on it than what you already have on the list. The mobo won't let you Xfire anyway. The case is nice. See if you can find from some other shop that won't charge so much for the shipping... after all it is a case... almost any will do. For the GPU, i don't know syncom, i have never bought from them but you have to admit, this card at this price... heh. Hard drives are a sore matter. I don't know myshop and prices fly up and down. My advice is for you to use what you already have, get something else later when the prices drop... or look into a sales forum ;)  There is some shipping included... i hope not more than 20euros in total.
The system in total will work for about 3 years offering you the ability to play everything in high settings. You don't want OC so the psu is marginally enough (power draw of about 400w, headroom of another 100 for aging factor). In general, every piece here i have collected with extra care, tipping the scales a little will throw the balance off. If you don't like this setup and you have other ideas about futureproofing or your budget magically increases let me know. Just to have a good estimate of how things go, futureproofing costs another 100 euros more or less (no increase in performance, just ability to upgrade down the road), OC system about 200euros increase (mobo, psu, processor, cooler), all the above + more gpu power about +450 euros.
Also note that adding an ssd will cost you about 200 euros more. Hope i helped!
November 4, 2011 10:54:30 PM

I just noticed you are from thesaloniki. That is great because you will avoid the shipping from vision studio. Digital master won't charge for shipping which leaves only the gpu shipping from syncom. Well you can always get another 6950 from vision studio with the money you saved from shipping -> http://www.visionstudio.gr/prodinfo.asp?id=24757&cat=5 rawr
November 5, 2011 7:52:43 AM

Hello fellow Greek i will probably buy from visionstudio,it has great prices.I will PM you.
a b 4 Gaming
November 5, 2011 8:48:36 AM

This is all Greek to me :o 
a b 4 Gaming
November 5, 2011 8:50:19 AM

^facepalm
!