Its all updated its all there!! but i cannot connect *confuzzled!

ptsigas666

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Hey guys how yall doing :)

anyhoot I been trying to troubleshoot a PC that cannot connect to the internet whatsoever.

a few days ago this problem did not exist...but now its been here for 2 nights!!

alright ill explain and start things off with which mobo it has.

ASUS M4A785-M
win7 ult
onboard sound+LAN (realtek)

alright everything is uptodate including the OS packs/updates hot fixes.

pretty much its showing a NO CONNECTION available on the taskbar.

1.i inspected the physical hardware and i see no issues (spills...burns nothing).

2.I made sure that the adapter was enabled (it was)
drivers...fully uptodate.

3.its registered in device manager (with no errors or warnings)

4.no IRQ issues.

5.i connected the PC directly to the ISP MODEM (reset modem, did nothing.)

6. system restore (incase someone messed with a setting of some sort) - that did not help.

7. installed a Dlink Ethernet card (win7 had updated drivers) while disabling the onbaord lan to avoid any sort of conflict. This did not help whatsoever.

8. tried different Cat5 cables, that are used with other pcs, to no avail.

**I'm thinking its an OS issue. so im going to do a repair install (trying to avoid reformat if possible)

im also wondering why the heck it shows as ENABLED in the network connections window...yet when i try and IPCONFIG /all it doesnt pop up (the Dlink NOR the realtek (pre-disabled) appeared).

its not the router cause this PC and the other pc have no issues connecting via router.

ps3 is always connected with NO interruptions (wireless)

I checked BIOS - its there...but again NO connecting whatsoever.

i questioned my sis and dad (their PC that has the issue) if they made ANY changes to the pc...but they are not adapt with the computer. just basic users.

I have done what I could and my conclusion is Software related (operating 7)
the UTTER last resort would be a new MOBO (we bought this brand new and it had NO issues prior to a few days ago.)

the pC is plugged into a power bar....we had no storms or any kind of power out, not even a hiccup!

everything else runs great - no virus' detected (using AVG, fully updated and registered)...

OH yes it does not even attempt to renew IP if i select it to (just says NO connection available!)

oh yes DHCP ENABLED - i dont have port forwarding, static or anything else like that. its all set for random.

any insight advice and suggestions is appreciated. all in all thanks for reading and GAME ON!

ptsigas666

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\gus>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : gus-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

C:\Users\gus>ipconfig /release

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while releasing interface Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1 : The sy
stem cannot find the file specified.

The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for
this operation.

C:\Users\gus>ipconfig /renew

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while releasing interface Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1 : The sy
stem cannot find the file specified.

The operation failed as no adapter is in the state permissible for
this operation.

C:\Users\gus>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : gus-PC
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Tunnel adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Teredo Tunneling Adapter
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-00-00-00-00-00-00-E0
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

C:\Users\g

hey thanks for the reply Dadiggle! - well the problem still exists... i followed the steps in order and restarted when asked.

only issue i had:

netsh interface ip reset C:\DAF-interface-resetlog.txt
netsh interface reset all

these two commands gave me some error but the others worked.

router still shows a connection with the PC yet...NO access still.

safe made made no difference.
new ethernet card same deal nothing.

thanks again for your help! im keeping an eye out for any suggestions (if there are any more for this WEIRD problem!

worse comes to worse (even if reinstalling windows does nothing!, but i dont think that is needed!) we will taker to a shop. the last utter resort will be to pick up a new mobo (ohhh man..only had this mobo for 1.5 yrs now...)

anyways take care!

tkrl26

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Try deleting the NIC in device manager, then scan for new hardware, and reinstall the device.

I might also try using a different port on the switch/router that you are connected to, the port could be burned out.

Another thing to try is a Linux Live CD. Its a bootable OS on a CD, you will have to download it and burn it on another pc, but its worth a shot. This way, if you boot to the bootable CD, and the internet works then its a software issue, if you still cannot get to the net then its hardware.
http://www.ubuntu.com/

I might also try at the command line sfc /SCANNOW, and maybe a checkdisk.

Good luck!

ptsigas666

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
i have all up to date drivers (which i downloaded from ASus.com) but they do nothing.

see what happens is the device installs and gets listed on device manager yet i can not connect whatsoever online (even if its directly connected to the ISP modem).

also, I have used other NIcs which do install and show no yellow or red alerts yet they have no access to the net. the other 2 pcs have no issues so its not ISP/Hub related.

this is a crazy problem that i have personally never run into...and its a big drag and a half!

believe me I enabled the ONboard LAN via bios - its there in Dmanager but...for some reason no connecting.... its so damn odd

im just wondering if this mobo (which i will find out now) has WIFI capabilities because it appears on my PS3.. hopefully this can solve the issues.

i suppose ill check that and if it doesnt pan out then i can try a re-install or a dreaded re format..and if the bitter end comes to pass then im looking at PC shop ugh.

oh and ive tried all suggestions- nattah - thanks though all appreciated! ill keep feedback on the situation. until then take care :):)

ptsigas666

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
yup - those drivers i downloaded straight from asus. see the thing is its actually installed (not kidding). its on the device manager. so was the other ethernet card i popped in.

they were enabled. I disabled the realtek only when i installed the pci-card.

win7 installed an uptodate version of the drivers for the DLINK card i installed. BUT as a measure i downloaded the drivers off the manufacturer site.

I attempted manually removing winsock and winsock 2 in registry. pretty much there is NO TCP/IP in the adapter's properties..

only some protocol v6 and v4...but those dont seem to be important.

So...after hours of tinkering and checking out many appreciated suggestions i might just have to do a full blown reformat!

this problem came about after the pc's AVG expired. the same day. so who knows probably a virus corrupted the protocol.

ill keep post folks!

ptsigas666

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
yeah i used other drivers before the newer one - no go! making a bootable flash key now - gonna go ahead with a full blown installation! its ok they had tonns of crap on the main drive anyways (clustered registry etc) ..hmph ill be keeping a closer eye on it! im quite sure this will take care of the situation. i'll keep post and make mention to lock the thread (if we are required to! not trying to be a commando!) anyhoot ill post up the results in an hour's time

ptsigas666

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
well thanks again for all the suggestions- a full format and re-installation of win7 did the trick! but i made them buy a virus protection program to keep their pc safe (as possible!), anyways take care everyone!