Restoring Windows Explorer tree structure!

I think this should be tough..!

I want to customize explorer, such that the explorer tree structure returns
to the tree structure corresponding to the last path I had navigated to with
it!

For eg., If I had last navigated to 'C:\Windows\System32' using explorer and
had closed it, the next time I start explorer it should display the same tree
structure corresponding to 'C:\Windows\System32'! Is that possible?

| I think this should be tough..!
|
| I want to customize explorer, such that the explorer tree
| structure returns to the tree structure corresponding to the
| last path I had navigated to with it!
|
| For eg., If I had last navigated to 'C:\Windows\System32' using
| explorer and had closed it, the next time I start explorer it
| should display the same tree structure corresponding to
| 'C:\Windows\System32'! Is that possible?

Hmmm... Sounds like the much-maligned regedit feature that makes
it open to last viewed key. A feature I find particularly
useful, almost as useful as regedit Favorites.

Not sure how to do that within a login session (perhaps a Shell
expert will reply.) However, you can use the "Restore previous
folder windows at logon" option found in Folder Options on the
View tab, to specify that the folder you leave open when you log
off from your computer will be restored the next time you log on
to your computer.

For more information see the following Microsoft Knowledge Base
article:

KB320168 - HOW TO: View Previously-Opened Folders When You
Log On to Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?Product=winxp&scid=kb;en-us;320168

And on a somewhat loosely related note.

Your %USERPROFILE%\Recent folder contains links to the folders
you have recently visited. To access this folder quickly click
Start, click Run, type the following command and click OK:

shell:recent

Hi

That's the default setting for the Registry - which is annoying - but I
can't find any way to setup WE like that. Have you tried a search via
Google?

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

"nirmal_rv" <nirmal_rv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I think this should be tough..!
|
| I want to customize explorer, such that the explorer tree structure
returns
| to the tree structure corresponding to the last path I had navigated to
with
| it!
|
| For eg., If I had last navigated to 'C:\Windows\System32' using explorer
and
| had closed it, the next time I start explorer it should display the same
tree
| structure corresponding to 'C:\Windows\System32'! Is that possible?

There isn't. Furthermore it is not a feature that MS intends to introduce. I argued for something similar during XP's beta but MS thought it was a stupid idea.

My Addin program for Windows ME added a Recently Used Folder (like Recent Documents) to Start, it could easily be modified to do what you suggest.

I have a 10% written program to add Recently Used Folders to XP but as one can't add menus to the new Start Menu I probably won't finish it (one would have to use classic start to be usuable).

I can give you hints on how to write your own.
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/06/29/1088392635123.html

"nirmal_rv" <nirmal_rv@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:28A2798C-116A-4E0D-BBD4-A7BB290E2439@microsoft.com...
> I think this should be tough..!
>
> I want to customize explorer, such that the explorer tree structure returns
> to the tree structure corresponding to the last path I had navigated to with
> it!
>
> For eg., If I had last navigated to 'C:\Windows\System32' using explorer and
> had closed it, the next time I start explorer it should display the same tree
> structure corresponding to 'C:\Windows\System32'! Is that possible?

||| "nirmal_rv" <nirmal_rv@discussions.microsoft.com>
||| <SNIP> explorer tree structure returns to the tree structure
||| corresponding to the last path I had navigated to <SNIP>

|| "Carrie Garth" <PostInGroup@invalid.cxg>
|| Wrote in message news:ecRPqEkfEHA.556@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl
|| Not sure how to do that within a login session (perhaps a
|| Shell expert will reply.) However <SNIP>

| "David Candy" <david@mvps.org>
| Wrote news:u7Uq4PlfEHA.3316@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl
| There isn't. <SNIP>

Thanks for replying David (of course, you are the first one I
think of when I think "Shell Expert")!