Closed Solved

Server Cpus?

Ok Guys & gals I have a question for you, which im sure somebody in here can give me the answer. First let me just state that I am a mainframe guy with tons of knowledge regarding IBM hardware,utilities,code etc. Having said that I'm lacking pc technical knowledge as it is not a factor in the mainframe data center protocol. So the intel CPU listed below is sold as a server CPU! Why couldnt it be used or could it as a pc processor? If so whats the difference between the difference between the two?

Thanks

Intel Xeon E3-1230
Sandy Bridge 3.2GHz 4 x 256KB
L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache
LGA 1155 80W
Quad-Core
Server Processor BX80623E31230
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about server cpus
  1. Server cpus require ecc ram, either registered or non-registered. Depends on the motherboard. I don't know if 1155 server cpus will run with desktops; a few old xeons ran on desktops, but the new cpus may not.
  2. Best answer
    not all 1155 mobos will support it, but given the right ram there's no reason why it won't work. But there's nothing in it from a performance point of view, perhaps a little lower voltage, perhaps the ability to a little faster. And greater cost.
  3. Ok thanks guys as I too was looking at the specs and couldn't find anything that would lead me top believe that the processor wouldnt work in a pc platform environment.
  4. Best answer selected by hoglan71.
  5. This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Servers