Closed

Final review of new i5 2500k system build, opinions please

24 answers Last reply
More about final review 2500k system build opinions please
  1. Hard drive prices are up since the flood in thailand so you will be paying 3 times the worth of 1 HDD now no matter where you buy it so I'd wait untill hard drive prices go down again.

    If you decide to build it now then go with a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

    It's a good looking build all around and should get you some decent performence in gaming.
  2. check amazon the Seagate Barracuda is going for cheap right now
  3. Mastervivi10 said:
    Hard drive prices are up since the flood in thailand so you will be paying 3 times the worth of 1 HDD now no matter where you buy it so I'd wait untill hard drive prices go down again.

    If you decide to build it now then go with a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185


    +1 for the spinpoint f3, though the prices are through the roof because of the flooding, but if you need a HDD now then your just going to have to buy one as prices arnt set to come back down untill some time next year.
  4. You should really buy an aftermarket cpu cooler too.

    If money is no problem then go for this, its a beast

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018&Tpk=nhd14

    or if you are on a budget then this is the best "bang for ya buck" cpu cooler

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099&Tpk=212%20evo

    I would also recomend spending a bit more money on a better PSU, something like this

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020
  5. Adding the budget cooler...
    The PSU you recommended was originally on my list, but I reluctantly thought I'd save a few bucks.
    Ording the Amazon HD now... Saw it recommended yesterday... cheapest drive of that size I have seen.

    Thanks for all the replies so far guys.
  6. No problem need anything else?
  7. Seagate 1tb HDD on amazon $72. Buy it now! The CX500 is fine.
  8. Perhaps some pointers to instructions on how to put all this together without screwing it up?

    Thanks,
    CD

    Emelth said:
    No problem need anything else?
  9. Done.

    cutebeans said:
    Seagate 1tb HDD on amazon $72. Buy it now! The CX500 is fine.
  10. Don't know why my link isnt showing up in my sig but here you go

    http://www.pcityourself.com/index.php

    Its animated and will walk you through step by step cant remember who I grabbed this from it was too good to pass.
  11. Have you ever considered a GTX 560 or it don't fit ur budget?
    Like this one:

    EVGA 01G-P3-1460-KR GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
    http://204.14.213.185/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130660

    It have a better performance/wattage ratio and it's faster than the GTX 460, and if u go for SLI path in the future it will be much easier to find a GTX 560.

    Consider too another PSU if u planing to SLI ur system, or u will need to buy another one.
  12. Or he can get 2x460s which will out do a 560 Ti
  13. Emelth said:
    Or he can get 2x460s which will out do a 560 Ti


    If he gonna get 2x460s he will need to change the PSU too.

    Ah! Btw, I do have 2x460s (Stock), and by some benchmarks in Tomshardware, Anandtech, Guru3d and others I saw that the performance is much higher than the 560 Ti, if scaling properly with the software it reach levels of GTX 480 to a bit higher GTX 580 depending of the game.
  14. Yes a 650W should do
  15. Thanks, that looks cool.
    CD


    Emelth said:
    Don't know why my link isnt showing up in my sig but here you go

    http://www.pcityourself.com/index.php

    Its animated and will walk you through step by step cant remember who I grabbed this from it was too good to pass.
  16. Emelth, couldn't pass this up from your link on PC assembly.

    The only essentials you will need the before starting are:
    A phillips screwdriver
    A grounded metallic object
    A large flat non-metallic surface (1.5m x 1m or larger)
    An afternoon of uninterupted time
    You you may also want:
    An anti-static wrist band or mat
    Cable ties
    A small torch----->flashlight
    Some plasters (for little cuts you may get)----->Band Aids.

    I can just see some noob unfamiliar with the King's english going to the hardware store
    looking for one of those butane torches used for brazing jewelry etc. and some special computer plaster.
  17. I hadn't thought about the 580... the 460 fits in my budget much better... and to be honest, I have somewhat tried to keep from thinking along the lines of "this one is better for a few dollars more" because at first I did that on alot of the components and ended up with system that cost almost 2x my budget...

    However, my main application is writing OpenGL simluation/CUDA code so maybe I should look at the 580. If I go with the 580, is a 650W PS good enough?

    CD


    vitornob said:
    Have you ever considered a GTX 560 or it don't fit ur budget?
    Like this one:

    EVGA 01G-P3-1460-KR GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
    http://204.14.213.185/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130660

    It have a better performance/wattage ratio and it's faster than the GTX 460, and if u go for SLI path in the future it will be much easier to find a GTX 560.

    Consider too another PSU if u planing to SLI ur system, or u will need to buy another one.
  18. Looks like the 580 is only $20 more than the 460 I chose... So it is a no-brainer... Plus it looks like there is a $15 rebate on the 580.
  19. For the cooler you don't really need an aftermarket one, but if you're deadset get a Hyper 212 evo
  20. farsuka said:
    For the cooler you don't really need an aftermarket one, but if you're deadset get a Hyper 212 evo


    No you don't "need" an aftermarket cooler, but you don't technically need a computer case either, but its a lot better if you have one.
  21. Hyper 212+ is a great cooler that many people even myself swear by its good for its price deffinetly get it if you plan to OC
  22. Make sure you get the 212 EVO and not the 212+, the 212 EVO is the latest version with better cooling performance.
  23. I just clicked on your links and soe of it is out of stock...
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product