Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Where are best instructions/tutorial for assembling a new build?

Last response: in Systems
November 4, 2011 1:58:58 PM

Hi
I have recently purchased all the parts for a new computer. Where is a set of great step-by-step instructions for assembling it? This could either be in video or article form. I have tried Googling some but did not find very comprehensive ones.
This is my first build so I am fairly clueless.
Thanks
November 4, 2011 2:36:24 PM

Cool yeah definitely you want to check youtube to get an idea

Go onto youtubue and see if anyone has done a built up with your motherboard. Best bet is the instruction manual because all motherboards have a different design to where they will have different areas to plug it

In general just watch a random video and follow the book instructions

first build maybe a bit annoying but after all it will be easy.
Related resources
November 4, 2011 3:43:04 PM

Thanks a lot
November 4, 2011 3:48:25 PM

The Newegg builder video series is a must-watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPIXAtNGGCw

There are 3 parts (links are in the description). I guess you could start at part 2 since you've already got your components. I'd watch it a couple times before starting.

Best solution

November 4, 2011 7:03:54 PM

Text wise...

The first thing I would do would be to open the case and install the separators that sit between the motherboard and the case.

While you are doing all of this, especially if you are sitting on the floor (not recommended, but fine) instead of doing all this on a wooden table (preferred) make sure to touch the metal part of the case early and often. If you are holding a static charge, this will cause you to shock the case and not the vulnerable computer parts.

Then put the motherboard in and see if/where you need to punch metal out of the side of the case for the motherboard to fit in correctly. The metal over these areas is made to come out easily. Take the motherboard out and remove the obstructing metal.

Then mount the CPU in the socket, put thermal paste on it, and then put the metal heat sink on it, and then mount the fan on it.

Insert the RAM into the motherboard. If you think you have to push hard it is likely you are putting it in backwards and need to turn it around first. This should require firmness, but not much strength.

Then mount the motherboard in the case and screw it in.

Then mount any hard drives, or CD drives or anything like that and screw them in.

Then insert the video card.

Then insert the power supply and screw it in securely in the back of the case. If the holes to screw in the power supply don't match up well with the holes in the case (some cases like Antec 400r and 500r may have this issue) then try to get in 3 screws in any arrangement if you can, if you can't then try to get in two screws diagonally opposite of each other if you can, if you can't do that then you should be able to get at least two in somehow on adjacent sides.

Then you can connect all the wires where they have to go.

A ribbon cable will need to go from the motherboard to a CD drive most likely. SATA cables will go from places likely marked SATA on the motherboard (probably at least 4 of these close together) to any hard drives you have.

After doing those things, you can start putting power cables into everything. Hard Drives and CD drives will probably be using flat 4 pin female connectors.

The motherboard will need two different ones, one either a square 4 pin or 8 pin connector near to the CPU and another that is most likely 24 pin but potentially 20 pin probably very close to the side closest to the front of the case. The 8 pin could potentially be 2 square 4s on the same wire and the 24 may be one with two rows of 10 and another square 4 on the same wire.

The video card will probably need at least 1 extra power connector, possibly two. They are likely to be 6 pin connectors, but potentially also 8 pin connectors. Either two rows of three or two rows of 4. The 8 pin connector may potentially be a 6 with another 2 connected to the same wire for a total of 8.

From there you should be OK to close the case, plug in the mouse, keyboard, monitor, etc, and put the cable between the computer and the wall and turn it on.

I am sure I probably forgot something, but that should get people 95% of the way there in the future if they come in here looking for how to do it and the links no longer work.
November 4, 2011 9:16:00 PM

Best answer selected by roblaw42.
November 4, 2011 9:18:34 PM

If you are out and about tonight you may want to stop by a magazine stand. Maximum PC and PC Gamer normally have quarterly PC building guides which are pretty good.

There is another magazine C.P.U. (Computer Power User) which may possibly have some stuff.

However there are plenty of articles online that are just as good and are FREE.
As mentioned above - Tecmo34 did a very good write up.
And the reference to youtube was good as there is plenty of stuff on there.

Recommendations:
  • Take a 15 minute break every 45 minutes whether you feel you need it or not.
  • Getting a cheap LED Headband light can be invaluable as it helps you look around inside the case and frees one hand up from having to hold a flash light.

• Using a cardboard egg carton and prove useful for separating screws, standoffs, and other parts.
  • When laying a case on its side I always spread out a nice thick bathtowel for it to lay on. This this prevents the case's paint finish from being scratched by the table's surface (if slid or jolted) or from rouge screw unknowingly rolling out behind it.
  • Business cards or plastic sandwich bags can be very useful for spreading thermal paste.
  • Never force anything. Everything should connect together with ease.

These are tips I have picked up from personal experience.

Here is a list of 75 other tips that can be useful in one way or another:

http://computershopper.com/feature/75-pc-building-tips

November 4, 2011 9:25:59 PM

Thank you so much, all guides, tips, and tutorials posted will be invaluable help.
    November 4, 2011 9:52:26 PM

I just noticed your signature. Those are NICE specs. That is going to be an awesome gaming rig.

!