poopoo-peepee

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Hi, One of my 470 gtx went bust the other day thanks to a power surge (despite having a quality surge protector) and I'm now looking for another to replace it for my sli set up.
In my travels I have come across a couple of people willing to sell not 470's, but 480's for a cheap price.

I have a silverstone 850w psu and an antec 900 with extra fans. The two 470's ran at about 75 degrees each at load with the fan speeds turned up to about 70%
So my questions are.
a. Will my psu be able to handle two 480's?
b. Will to 480's run a shite load hotter than two 470's and as such end up dying anyway?

Edit: Maybe someone can think of an entirely different solution in this scenario? I'm open to anything.
With battlefield 3 and Skyrim just over the horizon I'm wanting to play them at max settings for minimum cost.

beenthere

Distinguished
The GTX 480 appears to draw about 250W or 21 amps per card maybe a little less in SLI.

If your Silverstone 850W is the one review in the link below or of similar power on the 12v rails, i.e. 65 amps total, (780W), then you should be fine. Figuring 42 amps. in SLI full load, 10 amps for the CPU, 5 amps. for the HDs, fans, etc. you still have a 8 amp. reserve on the 12v rails.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-560-ti-sli-review/14

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=164

gunslinger36

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011

You owned a very good psu, you don´t need to use a surge protector. In fact, the psu is ready to support any power surge. When you let the surge protector do the work that has to do the psu, sometimes the psu protections fails. It´s very recommended not to use any surge protector if you have a high quality psu.

poopoo-peepee

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011

One guy is selling his for $180 and the other for $200 (the ones that I can find still in stock for brand new are still around $400 each. That's Australian currency; we get taxed to the hilt for electronic goods over here)

However: During the course of the day I have found someone willing to offload his gtx 470 for $150 and so I think I'll be taking that, as two 470's seem to work extremely well with everything I've thrown at them so far, and I expect skyrim and battlefield 3 to be no different.

Thanks for the answers guys. Very useful and much appreciated :)