Gt240 multiple display question

jefflupo

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
i have dell inspiron 530 with nvidia gt240 windows xp, I want to run two computer monitors and one hdtv, is this possible?
i can get two monitors to work, or monitor and tv but never all 3. Do i need a new video card?
any input is appreciated.

Even with three monitor connectors, very few can run more than two of the three connectors at once. And, they are the very top end cards.

Just add in a second expansion card. It need not be expensive if it is not for gaming. You can get them for pci-e slots of course, but also pci and even X1 or x4 slots.

Also, since you are using XP, you should get a second Nvidia card so you can use the same copy of the driver. XP, unlike windows 7, restricts you to one graphics driver.

4745454b

Titan
Even with three monitor connectors, very few can run more than two of the three connectors at once. And, they are the very top end cards.

I disagree. Thats why AMD came out with Eyefinity. Not all of the 5 or 6 series cards can do this, but most can. Avoid the models with VGA and you should be able to run 3 monitors off of one AMD card. Just pull your GT240 and get a 5670 or 5750.

Edit:
Also, since you are using XP, you should get a second Nvidia card so you can use the same copy of the driver. XP, unlike windows 7, restricts you to one graphics driver.

Incorrect as well. XP and 7 both allow for more then one video driver to load. Only Vista restricts you to one.

Good comments.

I stand corrected.

jefflupo

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
could i just use a old pci video card from fleabay to run the third monitor, which i will only use for internet surfing? hate to spend over $100 on a card for a old system, that might not even work.........

would a dvi to usb adapter work?

4745454b

Titan
To use Eyefinity you MUST use the output found in the Displayport. (DP) Because the one you linked has VGA instead of DP, it can't run Eyefinity. The one I linked does support it. You MUST use the DP for one of the monitors, and if it doesn't support DP you need an active adapter, or one of the new passive single link ones.

jefflupo

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
ok last question before i try this.

i order this video card

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102870&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-RSSDailyDeals-_-na-_-na&AID=10521304&PID=4176827&SID=17gsr7hw32lnl

and this adapter

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814999032

i hook adapter to video card then one monitor,hdmi to tv,and dvi to other monitor.
run radeon eyefinity and i will have 3 monitors that i can things drag back and forth?

i appreciate all your help...so does my wife....

4745454b

Titan
Correct. Your task bar will be on all three screens, you'll be able to move things from one to the other, background will stretch/tile to all three, etc.

Only issue I see is that you are using a TV? Did you want to show things on the TV while you are surfing? You don't want to use Eyefinity if this is the case.

4745454b

Titan
Starting to think Eyefinity isn't for you. Does anyone know if you can run three screens on an eyefinity card without linking them?

The issue jeff is that once you enable Eyefinity, that TV is only 1/3rd of your screen. It's really meant for three same size screens that sit side by side. If you have two monitors on your desk and TV on your entertainment center you don't want them linked together. Grabbing a PCIe 1x/PCI card and hooking it up that way is probably a better idea.

jefflupo

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
ok let me explain clearly what i am trying to do

i have a 24 inch monitor that is my main monitor, next to it is a 19 inch monitor that i will use for very light internet surfing etc., then i have my 42inch plasma tv i want to be able to watch hulu etc.

right now i have 24 inch monitor and 42 in tv working, so if i add pci video card i can hook that up to 19inch monitor?

jefflupo

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2011
so a card like this would work?

isiontek Radeon 7000 64MB PCI Video Card

Chipset: ATI Radeon

GPU Series: ATI Radeon 7000

Lifestyle: Mainstream

GPU/VPU: RADEON 7000

Maximum Resolution: 2048 x 1536 @ 85Hz (Analog)

Memory Type: DDR

Video Memory: 64MB

Core Clock: 150 MHz

Memory Clock: 286 MHz

Overclocked: No

1080p Support: No

Video Output: DVI

S-Video

VGA

Low Profile: No

Cooling Type: Heatsink

4745454b

Titan
Pure websurfing only its fine. But the 7000 is a DX7 card. The 9250 is DX8, while the Nvidia card is 10. To weak to use any 10 features but its there. If you wanted to play higher end videos on that screen you might want the decode ability found in newer cards then the 7000.

TRENDING THREADS