Couple Quick Questions About 3D

HaGGardSmurf

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
The root of this question stems from me buying a new video card. I am going to go 6950 or possibly 6870 if I cheap out, anyhow if I remember correctly they both say they support 3D.

I have a 58" samsung plasma TV (model# 58c550 it's a 600hz 0.001 ms response time) and it isn't labeled as a 3D TV. I will end up hooking up this TV to my video card as my third monitor. Then instead of streaming media via DLNA I'll just use windows media player or firefox or whatever the video is playing in, and maximize it into my TV and set the audio output as the HDMI on my card.

So now to my question...

1) Today's "3D TV's" are they not just a TV which is at least 120hz but with a video card or whatever built in that will upscale regular signals to 3D? Aren't any tv's/monitors that are over 120hz able to display 3D video? (Maybe not able to render it on its own, but display it at least)

2) If thats the case, would I be able to buy blu ray's that are in 3D and play them on my computer to my TV (set as a 3rd monitor)?

3) Also, if my PC monitor were 120hz would I be able to play black op's in 3D?

and finally

4) What exactly does it mean when a video card says its able to display 3D? I assume it just means it's powerful enough to actually render a 3D video on screen?

First of all, 3d support with graphics cards is very new for AMD cards. If you want to do 3D, nVidia is really the best way to go right now. It is really much better supported by software and hardware.

To view 3D content, you will need a 3D monitor. It is true that 3D monitors need to be 120Hz, but 120Hz does not make a device capable of 3D. My understanding is that two images are rendered, each at 60Hz. But you need a monitor capable of doing stereoscopic imaging, not every monitor or TV that is 120Hz is capable of this.

Also necessary at this time is the dreaded 3D glasses. Without them, there are two images nearly superimposed on the screen and it looks like crap. I have a feeling if you tried to view 3D content on a monitor not capable of rendering it, it would also look like crap.

So if 3D is important to you, you'll need to get some new equipment. But if you like expensive toys, it might just be the thing for you.

Here's some nVidia propaganda for you to view, including links to 3d ready hardware, monitors, etc.
http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-main.html

http://www.nvidia.com/object/3d-vision-displays.html

Definitely take notice that not all 3D monitors are the same. Very few actually support 3D TV and 3D bluray. Make sure you get the features you're after. 3D bluray is dependent on HDMI 1.4a.

I've noticed the AMD 3D monitors do not need 3D vision hadware and are typically always HDMI 1.4a compliant. But again, the games support is not there with AMD yet.

HaGGardSmurf

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
This is my TV http://www.samsung.com/ca/consumer/tv-video/tv/plasma/PN58C550G1FXZC/index.idx?pagetype=prd_detail&tab=specification

It says under video it has "3D Hyper Real Engine" would that mean it's able to do 3D?

I'm going ATI, 3D really isnt a big thing for me, its just the point of being able to do it. That was another thing I was going to ask, would the active shutter glasses even work with my tv assuming it IS able to display a 3D image. I would assume so since they just separate the images for each eye and dont really have anything to do with the TV itself.

I cant find anywhere if my TV is HDMI 1.4a but I assume it would be...

Don't assume that it's HDMI 1.4a. Very few support it. Make sure to look for a spec sheet for the monitor. Often times they don't tell you what type of HDMI connection they support.

If you really want to play games on it with AMD, I'd look for Displayport support. Without display port, your AMD is either going to play at 24hz per eye (very bad) or you are limited to 720p which is much lower quality than 1080p.