Computer having display issues, why?

Thawed

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
So I bought this custom built computer about 5 years ago, it's worked rather well--with sporadic issues here and there, but mostly very reliable. I decided recently to upgrade my graphics card, so I go and I order an XFX 6950, and when I install it, it doesn't really work. I check for old drivers, on-board driverc, etc. Everythings good, so I conclude it must be the card. So then I order another 6950, but this time from Sapphire, this one doesn't even post. So I think, this MUST be my computer--so I go to a very reliable local computer store and have them evaluate my problem, they tell me it IS the graphics card after running a Diag. on it. Okay, so I send that card back in and notice that the prices on all the graphics cards 69XX have gone up by 70 dollars due to the flooding in Taiwan. Well okay, whatever--I'll just go with a much cheaper 6850. I get this card and it works like a DREAM, it's beautiful and everything is going great till the day before yesterday when things started to get really finicky. My computer wouldn't display an image AT ALL, so I start having a minor panic attack. I switch back to my old card and make sure all drivers are off, apparently one of my games had installed a PhysX driver from NVidia, so I delete that. Anyways, switch back--no image. So I try flashing my Bios (My motherboard is an Asus PSN-E SLI) because I heard there were issues with display for this card unless you did that, so I did that. Yaaaay, it works--but not really. If I leave my computer on too long the image will drop, and I have to restart the computer, and sometimes an image won't show until I do multiple restarts. Also my mouse will come on, and then back off, and on again, and then back off--and my keyboard may not even register at all. What is going on with my computer?

It could be your PSU. They get old after a while. Car batteries last about 5 years and computer PSUs about as long.

In any event, I don't think every one of those video cards is messed up, its most likely something that can appear in many places (like PSU).

What is your PSU maker and model and what is your best estimate for how old it really is? Did you get it 5 years ago new or did you bring it from a previous PC, or was the PC closer to 6 years old than 5? etc.

Thawed

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011

Yeah this one is actually from 2008, but this only happens when I change the graphics card. My GTS 250 doesn't get the same problems. Now I'm having a different issue though, still a display issue--but a few things have changed. If I push on and off long enough the image WILL post, I did update my BIOS so I think that is part of it, but if I leave the computer alone too long and the screen goes to sleep mode then it won't come back up. Also when my computer won't show an image like it's doing now the mouse and keyboard will flicker on and off, then come on again 30 seconds later or stay completely off. It varies. I'm not sure what the heck is going on.

What is the make / model / wattage of your PSU?

It sounds like its efficiency level is dropping. Thus everything works fine at first until the PSU heats up.

However I think a HD6850 would draw less power than a GTS250.

Are you sure that all Nvidia software / drivers are uninstalled? I heard rumors that it sometimes causes conflicts.

Did you ever contact XFX support? They are normally good at addressing issues like this.

BTW...The floods in Thailand should have no impact on graphic card prices. I have been monitoring prices for a while and have seen things holding steady for months. At least in the United States.

Thawed

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2011
My PSU is 650 watts and made by Antec, that's all I could really tell you. I don't believe it's my PSU though, because the 6850 and GTS 250 draw about the same amount of power. I heard it could be my motherboard, so I went and bought a new one that should come in today along with a PSU and RAM cause my old ones won't be compatible. I really am hoping it's not my PSU or I'll be pissed.

And yeah I'm sure the drivers are off cause I bought a new hard drive as well. :/ So it never had any Nvidia drivers on it in the first place.

XFX is not the people who made my card, Sapphire is--so XFX probably would not be able to help me.

Also I got confused between my hard drive and my graphics card, sorry about that. :/

I feel like I just kind of rushed and bought pretty much a new computer to accomidate this card because I just want to be able to play Skyrim on Friday. It's really sad and pitiful--and yet it is true.