Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Upgrading a decent second hand comp, helps massivley appreciated!

Last response: in Components
Share
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
February 4, 2012 7:49:16 PM

Hi I was hoping to get a little advice. Just bought my new 2nd hand comp

i7 920
6gb Corsair Dominator
SSD 60gb
300gb Barracuda
DFI LanParty JR X58-T3H6 MicroATX LGA1366
Atrix Power 12v P4 Extreme Power 650W
Coolmaster v10
GTX 460 SE

I will mainly be using it for, in order : Skyrim, Oblivion with LOADS of mods, All the Stalker games and some web designing through Fireworks (but not much)

I was looking at upgrading the PSU, graphics card and getting another 2gb of RAM so as I havent done any computer tinkering in quite some time I was hoping to get some advice from some knowledgeable pros!

So first and most important for me right now which is the best priced 750w PSU available as ive heard/read this one is quite unstable as its not branded so any ideas here are greatly appreciated

Second I was going to go for a GTX560 ti 1280 and I have my heart pretty set on it atm unless anybody has any other better ideas to sway me? Are Zotac a decent brand as there pretty cheap when it comes to these cards?

Being able to wack in another 560ti would be my way of futureproofing hence the 750w PSU which ive read is the minimum without being silly to hold it stable.

And, well I guess the RAM buys itself! but could someone tell me is there much difference between the corsair (i think its the 1600mhz version, havent been able to check yet thanks to whopping cooler) and the G.Skill RAM which is clocking in at some crazy speeds and will it really make a difference? I know I cant get it with the current mobo but no harm in knowing a little extra

Thanks for your help in advance!
a b ) Power supply
February 4, 2012 7:55:31 PM

Zotac is a low end brand; but I haven't used their warranty. Asus is better. I wouldn't spend top dollar for so called "future proofing". You'll be disappointed in the long run. The 6850 is a good all around card at a reasonable price. Then you can afford to upgrade every two years. For the power supply, antec is a good value, and I've dealt with their warranty service by phone. Gskill and patriot are good brands of ram, but corsair is also excellent. I just won't pay a premium for it.
a b ) Power supply
February 4, 2012 8:07:56 PM

I'd take a 6950 over a 560ti but that's just me. Have you by chance tried skyrim with the 460? They reused the same graphics engine as oblivion, so personally I would give it a go as is and upgrade if needed. it sounds like a pretty decent system.

If it does what you need now parts will be cheaper/better later
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
February 4, 2012 8:08:53 PM

Thanks for that input o1die, im purchasing right now so ill go have a look at antec's range, I was trying to cut it as cheap as possible on the PSU to afford the 560ti, do you think the 6850 will do the same job? Ive checked out some stats but the chap in the computer shop keeps swearing by nvidia cards at the moment so im inclined to listen to him although I'm not playing much with PhysX.

I understand what you mean there a low end brand but whats the actual difference between the card brands? is it only support?
February 4, 2012 8:13:02 PM

dont put another 2gb of ram in your system has triple channel memory if you put another stick in it will mess it all up it has to groups of 3 eg next for u would be 12gb but dont waste your money unless u need it i have 8gb and i have never seen my compu use more than 6.as for vid cards i wouldnt get a 6850 not much better than what you have if you can get another 460 cheap sli them. otherwise sit back and wait for the new gen products from nvidia to come out and stablise ati's current 7 series prices then by new then as your 460 should play all the games you have atm. with video cards i would be checking what ever you buy for its hsf you dont want a noisy single fan card, asus,gigabyte or msi or something like that. psu get something like antec, seasonic, silverstone etc. there are plenty of comparisons of all this stuff on toms have a look. clock your 920 up to 4ghz and you have a quick system
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
February 4, 2012 8:13:41 PM

unksol said:
I'd take a 6950 over a 560ti but that's just me. Have you by chance tried skyrim with the 460? They reused the same graphics engine as oblivion, so personally I would give it a go as is and upgrade if needed. it sounds like a pretty decent system.

If it does what you need now parts will be cheaper/better later



Yea fair point there unksol I havent in all honesty mate! Main reason is windows 7 is playing up so i thought id reinstall before I start piling up the crap on a dodgy foundation (just moved house so its a bit hectic). I have a copy of windows xp lying round here I might just give it a burn

Do you guys all feel like the PSU is ok because after reading about it I'm a bit worried its gonna fry my comp!

Thank you for your input I'm thining about withdrawing from the order form for the GTX 560 ti now until I test it out.
February 4, 2012 8:16:18 PM

Upgrading The Graphics Card Is A Waste Of $$ That Could Be Used Elsewhere, The GTX460SE Is Still A Potent Card That Is Only About 5% Slower Than A Standard GTX460 And When Overclocked Will Often Outrun A Stock Standard GTX460 And Rival Some Simular Graphics Cards (Think Non-Ti GTX560) I Can Run Crysis 2 @ Extreme Detail With 2xAA And 16xAF On On My GTX460SE Smoothly In Even The Most "Busy" Scenes.

Eratta; That 5 Should Have Been 15
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
February 4, 2012 8:20:38 PM

jasont78 said:
dont put another 2gb of ram in your system has triple channel memory if you put another stick in it will mess it all up it has to groups of 3 eg next for u would be 12gb but dont waste your money unless u need it i have 8gb and i have never seen my compu use more than 6.as for vid cards i wouldnt get a 6850 not much better than what you have if you can get another 460 cheap sli them. otherwise sit back and wait for the new gen products from nvidia to come out and stablise ati's current 7 series prices then by new then as your 460 should play all the games you have atm. with video cards i would be checking what ever you buy for its hsf you dont want a noisy single fan card, asus,gigabyte or msi or something like that. psu get something like antec, seasonic, silverstone etc. there are plenty of comparisons of all this stuff on toms have a look. clock your 920 up to 4ghz and you have a quick system



Thanks for the tips Jasont78. Right I did hear/read about triple channel memory my bad. You guys are saving my money here Kudos to you all!

Any view on the PSU situation? is it essential for me to get one asap as im dubious about starting gaming with it, ive already tripped the fuses in my new pad!?
February 4, 2012 8:23:35 PM

That graphics card is perfectly fine for what you want, that psu is also fine and as for the ram, it would be pointless money spent, 4gb of ram is fine for just about anything you would use, The only thing you should maybe upgrade is the psu
a c 243 ) Power supply
February 4, 2012 8:27:03 PM

Quote:


Do you guys all feel like the PSU is ok because after reading about it I'm a bit worried its gonna fry my comp!


It is the first thing you need to upgrade.
a b ) Power supply
February 4, 2012 8:28:00 PM

I will link what I am looking at in case I am reading it wrong. seems to be a very similar system they overclocked. 300 Watts under load.
www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-se-review/6

So. I would not pick that PSU. But in my experience I only burn them out when I push low end ones... you really shouldn't be pushing it with that setup. so. I would consider keeping it, or looking for a deal maybe... thoughts everyone?

I don't expect something that's working to blow without increased load, but can see wanting to change it too. maybe trying it with the 460SE and if you're happy with it pick up a quality 450 Watt for 40 bucks? been seeing newegg deals on them.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
February 4, 2012 8:30:00 PM

This is all really valuable info to me. So basically stick with what ive got, upgrade the PSU sometime in the next couple of weeks and overclock my 460 se. Top stuff loving this. So as ive not overclocked before any tips on that front? Any recommended software? I'm of course reading as you guys reply but your all so damn good and fast I guess I may aswell ask! Dont want to seem to lazy though eh! =)
a c 243 ) Power supply
February 4, 2012 8:32:32 PM

unksol said:

So. I would not pick that PSU. But in my experience I only burn them out when I push low end ones... you really shouldn't be pushing it with that setup. so. I would consider keeping it, or looking for a deal maybe... thoughts everyone?

The psu is a pos.
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/atrix_500t/5.ht...
29 amps combined on the 12v ( maybe, doesn't say ) on a 650w psu :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 
a b ) Power supply
February 4, 2012 8:40:32 PM

delluser1 said:
The psu is a pos.
http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/atrix_500t/5.ht...
29 amps combined on the 12v ( maybe, doesn't say ) on a 650w psu :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 


I know its junk by the label. but if its working with that setup, and is rated for more than what the setup pulls... it makes me nervous but I'd probably let it go and just not overclock at all. But if he's worried look for a replacement.
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
February 4, 2012 8:48:17 PM

Just read www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-460-se-review/6 Thank you for that unksol and thanks delluser1 for http://www.overclockersclub.com/re [...] 500t/5.htm just had a read and yea its absolute tosh, what a suprise. Knew it was a bit to good to be true as I got this rig pretty cheap

Yea I see what you mean it would probably be fine for the mean time and an upgrade is definitley on the horizon. I'm UK based so any UK stock would be better for me. Just a quick query, could I use a US power supply here ie are they 120v (110v? 120v? anyway) and 240v compatable or are they fixed voltage? just incase I spot a super bargain

And any suggestions you make will be looked at thoroughly, cheers for your time guys

a b ) Power supply
February 4, 2012 9:06:14 PM

OCZ is decent. reviews dont seem bad for that one
www.techpowerup.com/reviews/OCZ/ZS_750W/9.html

I think the price is OK with VAT? its 55USD on newegg here but that's after 25 MIR and 20 newegg giftcard. so hassle. I suppose i shouldn't try and shop outside my country, so I wont lol
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
February 4, 2012 9:12:03 PM

lol np thank you for the input unksol youve been great buddy! just a quick last note, in your opinion is this good enough PSU to run 2 x 560ti in sli for future reference after a year or so? mainly becasue I've heard the power ratings go down gradually with use. Just trying to check this myself now.

If you have any other suggestions you dont have to shop for me mate! very kind of you though! if you point me in the right direction I'll go!
a b ) Power supply
February 4, 2012 9:28:16 PM

The reference 560TIs are supposed to use 170 Watts Max. each I couldn't get a good link to work. but OCZ is supposed to be decent. that one is rated at 650watts on the 12V rail. so I would say if you want a new PSU it should be fine. throw in a 100 Watt CPU and you're at 450. Then drives. so I would think you'd have a little extra room, if you decided to stick with the 460SE for now, to consider other card options down the road as well.
February 4, 2012 9:48:16 PM

I have an i7 920 based system myself and can assure you that you are making a good choice sticking with this base for the moment......1366 still holds up extremely well these days!! - it's still not that old and was the top tier base then. For one, it is very expandable.

You'll also already notice the BIG difference your SSD has made.

I would strongly recommend overclocking your 920 - if you haven't done this already. You should be able to clock it to at least (a very stable) 3.8 using no extra cooling than what you already have, giving quite a boost to everything! A simple Google search will show you how for your board.

Yes, your first task may well be to upgrade your PSU - especially if you wan't to overclock anything and/or SLI. Save money and get a non-modular variety (all cables permanently connected) - there is almost always plenty space to route unused leads without affecting airflow. Two UK etailers I've used are Scan.co.uk or overclockers.co.uk. NVIDIA SLI is a great option for your future games needs, or you can wait till new GFX releases push down the price of any current card that performs significantly better than your 460. Do check out toms benchmark section to give you an idea of what to set your eyes on. I also do a simple google of any card I'm interested in and add the word " review", then check out the results. This gives you more confidence in your choice alongside our suggestions.

What is the highest resolution of your monitor?.....unless you plan on upgrading your monitor(/s?) beware of spending money to have a gfx system that greatly exceededs its max res. In reality, though, are you able to max out all gfx settings within e.g. Skyrim for your monitor? If not, and you want to, then of course there's no probs looking at SLI/upgrade.

By the way, does Adobe Fireworks allow for CUDA processing? if yes then you can either enable it in the program (if allowed for your card) or do yet another google search on how to add the 460 to it's allowed list of CUDA cards - I've done this for Photoshop.

6GB is ok to stay with, though again, does Fireworks make use of additional free RAM? do another google on Fireworks + RAM benefits.

Hope our suggestions save you spending on something you don't need. You still have a good base there!!

Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
February 4, 2012 10:02:09 PM

Great, your the man unksol, I'm going to go for that. Thank you so much youve saved me time, hassle and money! Here have a link on me and hopefully I can help you out too!

http://www.colloidal-silver-information.com/ - Ever wonder why there putting silver in plasters these days? its Ionic silver your after, 80-85% and bout 15-20% colloidal, its cured me of many things, thanks for sharing the wealth hope you get some use out of it. Nite nite buddy

Oh and dont worry about Argyria, check out how much/ how you get it =)

Much warmness from Britain
Anonymous
a b ) Power supply
February 6, 2012 7:38:44 AM

mesab66 said:
I have an i7 920 based system myself and can assure you that you are making a good choice sticking with this base for the moment......1366 still holds up extremely well these days!! - it's still not that old and was the top tier base then. For one, it is very expandable.

You'll also already notice the BIG difference your SSD has made.

I would strongly recommend overclocking your 920 - if you haven't done this already. You should be able to clock it to at least (a very stable) 3.8 using no extra cooling than what you already have, giving quite a boost to everything! A simple Google search will show you how for your board.

Yes, your first task may well be to upgrade your PSU - especially if you wan't to overclock anything and/or SLI. Save money and get a non-modular variety (all cables permanently connected) - there is almost always plenty space to route unused leads without affecting airflow. Two UK etailers I've used are Scan.co.uk or overclockers.co.uk. NVIDIA SLI is a great option for your future games needs, or you can wait till new GFX releases push down the price of any current card that performs significantly better than your 460. Do check out toms benchmark section to give you an idea of what to set your eyes on. I also do a simple google of any card I'm interested in and add the word " review", then check out the results. This gives you more confidence in your choice alongside our suggestions.

What is the highest resolution of your monitor?.....unless you plan on upgrading your monitor(/s?) beware of spending money to have a gfx system that greatly exceededs its max res. In reality, though, are you able to max out all gfx settings within e.g. Skyrim for your monitor? If not, and you want to, then of course there's no probs looking at SLI/upgrade.

By the way, does Adobe Fireworks allow for CUDA processing? if yes then you can either enable it in the program (if allowed for your card) or do yet another google search on how to add the 460 to it's allowed list of CUDA cards - I've done this for Photoshop.

6GB is ok to stay with, though again, does Fireworks make use of additional free RAM? do another google on Fireworks + RAM benefits.

Hope our suggestions save you spending on something you don't need. You still have a good base there!!


Thats some great advice there mesab66 thank you for that! You have a really good point in that my monitor isnt really sufficient to warrant an upgrade yet your spot on!

Yes that SSD is like a rocket on crack its unbelievably fast about 10 seconds boot up time with windows 7

Im on overclockers.co.uk right now so ive thumbs up'd your comments =) Kudos to you!

I'm in the process of purchasing a 720p projector at the moment so thats going to really limit my gaming resolution so thank you for that this stuff is just gold dust to me as i havent had a computer since my pentium with a radeon x600/3850 in it playing Oblivion! hopefully the projector will compensate for the lower resolution as I cant afford a true 1920 1080 setup yet although this should still be epic as hell fingers crossed!

Fireworks seems to run fine but I am aware of having a RAM disk which I think is what your alluring to. In all fairness I dont use it enough to warrant spending 50quid on new corsair ram yet but im sure that time will come and I will keep your idea in mind. And yes your suggestions are absolute diamond thanks for taking the time to hold my hand whilst I get back into the swing of things! here have a thumbs up from me!
!