First Build $1000 Budget

Approximate Purchase Date: 2 dates, First 11/20 Second Christmas

Budget Range: 1000 after rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, Internet, Microsoft Office

Parts Not Required: Mouse

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Amazon, Tiger Direct

Country of Origin: United States

Parts Preferences: by brand or type: Intel CPU, NVIDIA gfx card
Overclocking: Yes / No / Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Needs Window, Please notify me of any compatibility issues (I just noticed that the processor won't work with the motherboard so is there any other good ones?) I would also like to lower the price to under $1000 after rebates

Parts so far:
Case
Xigmatek Utgard Window CPC-T90DB-U02 Black Steel / Aluminum and Mesh Bezel Computer Case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811815007

Monitor
Acer G245HQAbd 23.6" LCD Monitor Black 5ms Full HD Widescreen 300 cd/m2 ACM 80,000:1 (1,000:1)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009305

Graphics card
EVGA 01G-P3-1556-KR GeForce GTX 550 Ti (Fermi) FPB 1GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130625

PSU
OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular High Performance Power Supply compatible with Intel Sandybridge Core i3 i5 i7 and AMD Phenom
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341017

RAM
G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231416

Motheboard
GIGABYTE G1.Guerrilla LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128481
(I Chose this motherboard because of the built in sound card and networking card)

CPU
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

OS
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116986

HDD
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s with NCQ 32MB Cache 3.5 Inch Internal Bare Drive ST31000524AS
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004IZN3YI/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Keyboard
Rosewill RK-201 Black 107 Normal Keys PS/2 Wired Standard Keyboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201010


Total before rebates: $1185.9
29 answers Last reply
More about first build 1000 budget
  1. Yeah, get a ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Z68 mobo. I'd suggest a 6950 but you're an nVidia fanboy? :P
  2. I Wouk strongly suggest a different mother board. Most ATX mobos have on board sound and of course built in networking. Save 50-100 and invest it into a 560ti rather than 550. The 550 is not a good card, price to performance, if you're stuck on that mobo get 460 1gb or a 470.
  3. I was looking at that motherboard before, and if an amd card is better ill get it, really no preference but i would choose nvidia over amd if they were equal cards
  4. FinneousPJ said:
    Yeah, get a ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Z68 mobo. I'd suggest a 6950 but you're an nVidia fanboy? :P


    I just realized that I didn't reply directly to you before...

    I was looking at that motherboard before, and if an amd card is better ill get it, really no preference but i would choose nvidia over amd if they were equal cards

    (same post as before but in reply)
  5. Glarbapflabin said:
    I was looking at that motherboard before, and if an amd card is better ill get it, really no preference but i would choose nvidia over amd if they were equal cards

    Mobo doesn't work with cpu. Its old generation 1366.

    With that resolution 6950 would turn out as a better choice.
  6. Thanks everybody, final build:

    XFX HD-695X-ZNFC Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150523


    Xigmatek Utgard Window CPC-T90DB-U02 Black Steel / Aluminum and Mesh Bezel Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811815007

    Acer G245HQAbd 23.6" LCD Monitor Black 5ms Full HD Widescreen 300 cd/m2 ACM 80,000:1 (1,000:1)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009305

    Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

    Western Digital Caviar Green WDBAAY0010HNC-NRSN 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136776

    G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231416

    Rosewill RK-201 Black 107 Normal Keys PS/2 Wired Standard Keyboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201010


    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271

    Thermaltake TR2 W0379RU 500W ATX 12V v2.2 Power Supply
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153113
  7. Glarbapflabin said:
    Thanks everybody, final build:

    XFX HD-695X-ZNFC Radeon HD 6950 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150523


    Xigmatek Utgard Window CPC-T90DB-U02 Black Steel / Aluminum and Mesh Bezel Computer Case
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811815007

    Acer G245HQAbd 23.6" LCD Monitor Black 5ms Full HD Widescreen 300 cd/m2 ACM 80,000:1 (1,000:1)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009305

    Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115072

    Western Digital Caviar Green WDBAAY0010HNC-NRSN 1TB 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136776

    G.SKILL Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231416

    Rosewill RK-201 Black 107 Normal Keys PS/2 Wired Standard Keyboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201010


    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271


    good choice on parts. I personally dont like ASrock mb's but this extreme3 is really good. All in all good build. post some pics when complete
  8. I just found another mb:


    GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128512
  9. FinneousPJ said:
    Yeah, get a ASRock Extreme3 Gen3 Z68 mobo. I'd suggest a 6950 but you're an nVidia fanboy? :P


    Would a 6870 be any good?
  10. at that resolution not really .. also you want to get 2gb version of 6950 .. good choice is Saphire Dirt 3 edition also 500W PSU is not enough especially if u want to do CF in the future.
    I would pick different case .. also u have to make sure HD 6950 fits .. it's about 11 inches long
  11. HDD I would wait if u can cause the prices are really high right now .. and don't get Green caviar .. get Black caviar or Samsung F3
  12. 6870 should out perform the 550 ti I would go with a 6950 though they are close to the 560 ti but cheaper.
  13. 6950 will outperform 560Ti at stock and 1080p + resolution .. the only game that seems to suffer is Civ V ... it also depends on board itself
  14. Yeah, 6950 is closer to 570 most of the time.
  15. madchemist83 said:
    at that resolution not really .. also you want to get 2gb version of 6950 .. good choice is Saphire Dirt 3 edition also 500W PSU is not enough especially if u want to do CF in the future.
    I would pick different case .. also u have to make sure HD 6950 fits .. it's about 11 inches long


    the problem is I still have a ~$1000 budget, and I don't think that I can make a 6950 work, and get a better power supply
  16. with monitor yes it will be hard to make it ... see if u have microcenter close by .. some great deals there .. unless u combo some of the parts I think u'll have to opt for 560Ti which is still good
    also check amazon shipping is free on some parts
  17. madchemist83 said:
    with monitor yes it will be hard to make it ... see if u have microcenter close by .. some great deals there .. unless u combo some of the parts I think u'll have to opt for 560Ti which is still good
    also check amazon shipping is free on some parts


    sadly, no microcenters in connecticut :(
  18. In that case go for 560 Ti .. it all should fit in under $1k .. as long as u don't buy HDD :)
  19. madchemist83 said:
    In that case go for 560 Ti .. it all should fit in under $1k .. as long as u don't buy HDD :)


    I kinda need a hdd, ill look for something cheap like a 320gb and upgrade later
  20. ok .. or u can get SSD and then upgrade later
  21. I would just get a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148701 for now and upgrade later when the Thailand factories are back up to snuff.
  22. I can sell u my 320 Gb external for ... $200 :)
  23. Just buy a used hdd off of someone or at a nearby store thats <$80... at this price why would you want a new one :/
  24. madchemist83 said:
    ok .. or u can get SSD and then upgrade later


    So would this one be enough for windows 7 and a few games? (3 or 4)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227510
  25. madchemist83 said:
    I can sell u my 320 Gb external for ... $200 :)

    haha yeah, I think i'm gonna have to pass on that one ;)
  26. No need at least 60 gb
  27. madchemist83 said:
    No need at least 60 gb


    Ok, thanks I think I'll go with this one and get a 1tb hdd later
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148357
  28. Glarbapflabin said:
    Would a 6870 be any good?


    what are you looking to run? because i have the gigabyte 6870(three fan one) its an awesome video card and works for me. I play basically anything game that i throw at it at best settings possible with full AA and amazing fps. Im running a 24'' mon at 1920x1080. So it really all comes down to what you want and or need. Personally, i would have rather saved my extra money and gotten the gtx 460 and later down the road SLi the two for an extreme boost. but really its all preference. If your a gamer, then spend the extra on gpu, if your medium to not so much gaming then save the money on GPU and get a better cpu and or disperse it among other parts like more ram and mb.

    Hope that helped at least a little.
  29. good choice on SDD
    don't forget about micccrostuttering
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product