8-pin EPS12V PSU with a 4-pin ATX12V Mobo - Need help

Hi there,

So I'm facing a dilemma at this moment in time - can 8-pin EPS12V CPU power connectors be plugged into 4-pin ATX12V with the remaining four pins left hanging over? The reason I ask is because I would really like to get a modular Corsair PSU, the problem being that all of their modular PSUs have this 8-pin connector but my motherboard only supports the ATX12V kind.

I'd greatly appreciate any help on this matter.

Further details: Corsair TX650M Modular PSU (the PSU in question), Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H motherboard.

Thank you in advance :)
6 answers Last reply
More about eps12v atx12v mobo help
  1. Usually 8 pin connectors are split into 2x4 pin connectors. Put one of the 4 pin connectors in your jack with the latch facing the right way. Just leave the other 4 pin connector hanging loose. No problem.
  2. Ah thank you. Though I can't help but notice that some PSU specifications say "4+4 EPS" or "8-pin EPS12V connector with detachable 4-pin ATX12V", the TX650M only says "8-pin EPS".
  3. Anyway, just to let you know, that motherboard uses a 8 pin EPS connector. So just plug both of the 4 pins together which equals an eight pin
  4. It doesn't, shadow_city. This is an exerpt from the specifications of the motherboard: Power Connectors 4-pin ATX12V connector, 24-pin main power connector
  5. You can split the 8 pin connector that is called 12 v CPU, look in details on newegg. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139031
  6. ChrisTheChip said:
    It doesn't, shadow_city. This is an exerpt from the specifications of the motherboard: Power Connectors 4-pin ATX12V connector, 24-pin main power connector

My bad, I looked at the revision 1.1 version, which has a 8 pin connector. The 1.0 revision has a 4 pin.
Ask a new question

Read More

Gigabyte Motherboards Corsair Product