Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade now or wait for ivy bridge

Last response: in CPUs
February 4, 2012 10:46:20 PM

i currently have an i3-550(clarkdale) processor in my build and was wondering if i should upgrade now to the 2500k or wait for ivy bridge? i will mainly be gaming and the motherboard i am looking to get is an ASUS z68 LX that supports future 22nm architecture as well as the current sandy bridge processors.... so should i wait? or just go with the 2500k (i heard that the equivalent of the 2500k will be the 3750k ivy bridge cpu but am not sure if it will be a significant boost over the 2500k, since the 2500k already does so well in gaming)

Thanks in advance! :) 

February 4, 2012 10:52:46 PM

I say go for it and get the 2500k, when overclocked it is an absoloute beast and even when ivy bridge comes out it will still fair very well
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 4, 2012 11:22:17 PM

Ivy Bridge should improve performance per watt by quite a bit, but absolute performance might not increase much. Games are also mostly held back by the graphics card anyway.

The good part about Ivy Bridge is Pci-e 3.0 support. Dual high-end cards should see a benefit of pci-e 3.0 over 2.0. Even more so as later generations of graphics are introduced.

If you overclock that clarkdale, do you think you could get by for two more months? The release date for Ivy is rumored to be early April. I recommend waiting just for the compatibility with the new spec, but the 22nm tri-gate transistors should stay cooler, and overclock better, than their 32nm counterparts.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 4, 2012 11:23:51 PM

i say wait for ivy and get a 7 series board that will support ivy by default without needing a bios update

the i3 550 is pretty much a i3 2100, and as a previous owner of an i3 540, i know for a fact that those cpus are not to be underestimated

what gpu do you have by the way?
m
l
February 5, 2012 1:31:20 AM

Haserath said:
Ivy Bridge should improve performance per watt by quite a bit, but absolute performance might not increase much. Games are also mostly held back by the graphics card anyway.

The good part about Ivy Bridge is Pci-e 3.0 support. Dual high-end cards should see a benefit of pci-e 3.0 over 2.0. Even more so as later generations of graphics are introduced.

If you overclock that clarkdale, do you think you could get by for two more months? The release date for Ivy is rumored to be early April. I recommend waiting just for the compatibility with the new spec, but the 22nm tri-gate transistors should stay cooler, and overclock better, than their 32nm counterparts.

my clarkdale isnt overclockable thanks to my motherboard not supporting any adjustments to be made through the bios menu
m
l
February 5, 2012 1:33:39 AM

xaira said:
i say wait for ivy and get a 7 series board that will support ivy by default without needing a bios update

the i3 550 is pretty much a i3 2100, and as a previous owner of an i3 540, i know for a fact that those cpus are not to be underestimated

what gpu do you have by the way?

my i3 550 seems to be bottlenecking in particular games though and ive seen in benchmarks that the 2100 performs way better than its clarkdale counterparts... also i have an Sapphire HD6870 as my GPU
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 5, 2012 11:36:34 AM

you are fine, there are very few scenarios where you will be bottlenecked, you can bare to wait for ivy
m
l
!