Sign in with
Your question

What hardware could be broken/malfunctioning?

Last response: in Components
February 4, 2012 11:37:43 PM

So,
I just recently overclocked my cpu successfully and ran prime 95 and had temps of around 55 C at 4.5 ghz (i5 2500k with a corsair h80 cooler). I let it idle for a bit (about 2 hoursish) and did some light gaming. I then shut it down via start -> shut down. Now, when I booted it back up, it gets stuck at the windows loading screen. When I boot from safe mode it gets stuck at classpnp.sys. So, I tried to do system repair, no luck with that either (just stays at a black screen).

Next, I tried to pop in a hard drive with windows 7 on it from another computer and the exact same thing is occuring. What hardware would cause this sort of problem?
February 5, 2012 12:03:55 AM

ApeEscape said:
So,
I just recently overclocked my cpu successfully and ran prime 95 and had temps of around 55 C at 4.5 ghz (i5 2500k with a corsair h80 cooler). I let it idle for a bit (about 2 hoursish) and did some light gaming. I then shut it down via start -> shut down. Now, when I booted it back up, it gets stuck at the windows loading screen. When I boot from safe mode it gets stuck at classpnp.sys. So, I tried to do system repair, no luck with that either (just stays at a black screen).

Next, I tried to pop in a hard drive with windows 7 on it from another computer and the exact same thing is occuring. What hardware would cause this sort of problem?

It sounds like the overclock that you have done and windows is not happy. Take off the overclock and it should boot. I would not try the other hard drive as the drivers will not be right for the hardware that its trying to load hence why that did not work.

I would re-check your overclock settings as they might not be quite right.
m
l
February 5, 2012 12:08:49 AM

Yeah, I actually set it all back to default settings. So no overclock at all but still the exact same problem seen. I have a feeling its something other than the cpu now since all default settings have been restored.
m
l
Related resources
February 5, 2012 12:14:56 AM

So you can get to the bios, that is a good sign. Getting to the bios means that it is not your processor that is at fault. It would not post with a faulty CPU. I would try running a memtest over your memory just to make sure that its not that what is causing it.

http://www.memtest.org/
m
l
February 5, 2012 12:17:29 AM

Sorry to double post, but i hit submit rather than review.

If the memtest does not show any errors try reinstalling windows just in-case something has caused it to corrupt.
m
l
February 5, 2012 12:29:54 AM

Thanks for your help alexinnes. Yeah, the memtest passed. But I am having trouble doing a reinstall. I go to bios and say boot from CD then from HDD. When I start windows, it says "Press a Key to boot from CD', so I do. Then, it starts loading windows files and then trys to load windows normally and once again, stops at that Starting Windows screen. I have a feeling now it may be the graphics card.
m
l
February 5, 2012 12:38:41 AM

Edit: When I start from windows; I am not really starting from windows yet.
m
l
February 5, 2012 9:52:47 AM

Ok, I would pull out any components that are not needed in your computer. So if you have onboard graphics on your motherboard plug your screen into that and remove your graphics card. If this lets you reinstall/boot then you can say it was the graphics card that is at fault.
m
l
February 15, 2012 11:28:46 AM

Turns out my mobo had to be flashed and a system file was corrupt. So maybe the overclock didn't agree with what settings the mobo wanted and in addition, damn windows file went to crap.
m
l
February 15, 2012 11:39:43 AM

ApeEscape said:
Turns out my mobo had to be flashed and a system file was corrupt. So maybe the overclock didn't agree with what settings the mobo wanted and in addition, damn windows file went to crap.

Ah glad that you found the problem, shame about the hassle it caused.
m
l
!