Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

Upgraded graphics card for HP Pavilion Special Addition a6755y

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
September 7, 2011 2:32:10 PM

:hello:  Hello all-

I am not very computer-inclined, and I am trying to hook up my HP Pavilion Phoenix Special Edition a6755y to my new 32" Vizio HDTV. It's not working. I believe the issue is that my on-board graphics processor (chipset: AMD 780g, graphics: ATI Radeon HD 3200) isn't capable of handling the necessary 1920x1080 screen resolution.

I think my only option at this point is a new video/graphics card, but I don't know how to determine what is compatible with my system, and will support the 1920x1080 screen resolution.

Specs:
Motherboard: MS-7548 (Aspen)
Processor: Phenom X4 9550
Memory: 6 GB
Video graphics: Integrated graphics using ATI Radeon™ HD 3200 (Supports DirectX® 10)
Sound/Audio: Integrated Realtek ALC888S Audio
Networking: LAN: 10-Base-T, 802.11 Wireless a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 card
Hard drive: 640 GB
CD/DVD disc drive: DVD+/-R/RW 16X 12X +/-DL LS 12X RAM SuperMulti SATA drive
Memory Card Reader: 15-in-1 multimedia card reader
Computer Case: Mid-size ATX
Power Supply: 300W
I/O Ports
Front I/O ports
Back I/O ports

Needs:
I do not play video games, or require anything fancy besides the following:
Compatible with system requirements
Display in 1920x1080 screen resolution
HDMI output

Budget:
As low as I can get away with :D 

Thank you SO MUCH in advance. This is driving me bananas!! :heink: 
a c 218 U Graphics card
September 7, 2011 3:52:08 PM

Your computer will definitely connect to your HDTV as long as you have the proper DVI to HDMI adapter or DVI to HDMI cable.

On the HDTV, you need to select the proper input device for it to display the image from the computer.

You do not need to buy a stand alone video card for your purposes.
Score
0
September 7, 2011 4:43:22 PM

COLGeek said:
Your computer will definitely connect to your HDTV as long as you have the proper DVI to HDMI adapter or DVI to HDMI cable.

On the HDTV, you need to select the proper input device for it to display the image from the computer.

You do not need to buy a stand alone video card for your purposes.


I got it to connect, and finally got it to display, but not in the native resolution of the TV (1920x1080). Its connected via VGA... would the 1920x1080 resolution option be available if connecting by DVI to HDMI?
Score
0
Related resources
a c 218 U Graphics card
September 7, 2011 5:47:41 PM

While not optimal, you can certainly run 1920x1080 via the VGA connection. As you know, the digital (DVI/HDMI) connection is preferrable.

That being said, you may need to simply update your video drivers. Cruise on over to ati.com and then get the 32-bit or 64-bit (depending on what you are running) version of the 11.8 Catalyst Software Suite. Install and then restart and you should be able to change your resolution to the max supported by the HDTV.

Good luck!

32-bit:
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win...

64-bit:
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win...

You do not need to run the HP drivers, You can use these "generic" drivers.
Score
0
September 7, 2011 6:29:50 PM

COLGeek said:
While not optimal, you can certainly run 1920x1080 via the VGA connection. As you know, the digital (DVI/HDMI) connection is preferrable.

That being said, you may need to simply update your video drivers. Cruise on over to ati.com and then get the 32-bit or 64-bit (depending on what you are running) version of the 11.8 Catalyst Software Suite. Install and then restart and you should be able to change your resolution to the max supported by the HDTV.

Good luck!

32-bit:
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win...

64-bit:
http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win...

You do not need to run the HP drivers, You can use these "generic" drivers.


First off, thank you SO MUCH for helping me. I'm feeling quite inept.

Tried the new driver thing, here's what happened (or happening, currently re-do-ing this process):
Catalyst 11.8 (64-bit, from the ATI website):
Installs, reboots, but nothing changes.
Computer>preferences>device manager>display adapters>ATI... still says version 8.881, and that the version was published 7/28/2011, when I click UPdate driver> search the internet it DOWNgrades me to 8.7 and I have to rollback to 8.881. When I try to search computer (specifying folder AMD>catalyst 11.8) it says it it up to date.
Display settings>advanced>AMD VISION Engine gives me option to open Vision Engine, but it doesn't open
No option for Catalyst anywhere, except to re-install from the download

Also tried starting with version 9.1 (next specified after 8.7-- since ATI doesn't show 8.881 anywhere):
Installs, but cant find any record of it that is recognized by the driver update system.

Do I just not know how to install drivers correctly? What am I doing wrong? I feel like I've tried everything (which means it's the one thing I haven't tried, right? haha)

Score
0
a c 218 U Graphics card
September 7, 2011 7:06:26 PM

OK, sounds like you have a couple of things here. Don't do the driver update thing via Device Manager. That will install a Windows "stock" driver and not the current ATI/AMD driver.

Go here for info regarding what you installed:
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst1...

Is your Win 7 installation fully up to date?

Score
0
September 7, 2011 7:19:24 PM

COLGeek said:
OK, sounds like you have a couple of things here. Don't do the driver update thing via Device Manager. That will install a Windows "stock" driver and not the current ATI/AMD driver.

Go here for info regarding what you installed:
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/AMDCatalyst1...

Is your Win 7 installation fully up to date?


Its Vista 64 bit, and yes, it is fully up to date. Just got off the phone with AMD and they can't tell me whats going on, except that the integrated graphics SHOULD be able to display 1920x1080 but they don't. He was also baffled that I didn't have an HDMI out, and had no idea if DVI to HDMI would fix the problem at all. He suggested I get a new graphics card, but he's not sure if the ones he suggested will work with my power supply. Totally useless...
Score
0
a c 218 U Graphics card
September 7, 2011 7:44:04 PM

Understood on tech support, really not a question they can answer......

Vista 64 uses the same driver at Win 7 64.

Go here and download and install Driver Sweeper. Run the tool to completely remove all ATI drivers. Restart your rig and re-install 11.8. See if that helps.

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/
Score
0
September 7, 2011 7:54:45 PM

COLGeek said:
Understood on tech support, really not a question they can answer......

Vista 64 uses the same driver at Win 7 64.

Go here and download and install Driver Sweeper. Run the tool to completely remove all ATI drivers. Restart your rig and re-install 11.8. See if that helps.

http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/


Will do. Again, I can't thank you enough. The tech support guy said it might just be an issue of vga vs dvi/hdmi. Supposedly version 8.881 is the newest driver for the graphics card, which I guess is different from catalyst? I've completely confused myself at this point. I will try your suggestions as soon as I get home. You rock for all your help, man. Seriously.
Score
0
a c 218 U Graphics card
September 7, 2011 8:00:34 PM

Catalyst is a tool that lets you manage the video card and includes the driver and a couple of other utilities. At the same site you got the file from, you can also download a driver only version (without Catalyst).

BTW, you are most welcome. We'll get you sorted out. Good luck!
Score
0
September 7, 2011 10:37:13 PM

COLGeek said:
Catalyst is a tool that lets you manage the video card and includes the driver and a couple of other utilities. At the same site you got the file from, you can also download a driver only version (without Catalyst).

BTW, you are most welcome. We'll get you sorted out. Good luck!


So... after all that, the problem was the VGA vs HDMI issue. I guess since VGA is analog, it couldn't support 1920x1080. After buying a DVI to HDMI and hooking it up, all it took was a restart and the correct resolution popped up.

This was absolutely exhausting for me. I don't have a "computer brain" at all.

I CANT THANK YOU ENOUGH FOR HELPING ME!! There is no way I would have gotten through this without your help. I would have given up!! You're definitely my hero... I wish I could give you a hug!! You're the best, COLGeek, whoever you are ;) 
Score
0

Best solution

a c 218 U Graphics card
September 7, 2011 11:57:30 PM

You are most welcome. Glad you got everything up and running as desired. You did good!
Share
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2011 1:25:16 AM

nice work COLGeek
+10

rokcandy3
Since you feel COLGeek did a great job
there should be an option to select one of COL answers as Best Answer
on the bottom of one of the answers

It is the Toms Hardware version of a hug LOL
Score
0
September 8, 2011 12:37:43 PM

Best answer selected by rokcandy3.
Score
0
a c 271 U Graphics card
September 8, 2011 6:36:33 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!