Closed Solved

Looking to upgrade GPU....suggestions?

I am looking to buy a new video card or card(s) within the next month or 2. My monitors max resolution is (1920*1080) so the goal is to run all the upcoming games(Deus Ex, Rage, Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, etc.) on the highest settings at (1920*1080). My current system looks like this:

i7-950 (at stock mhz)
GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
Sapphire HD5850
OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 500GB
Thermaltake TR2 600W
ViewSonic X Series VX2260wm Black 21.5" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD Monitor

Should I be looking at a Sli/Crossfire solution? which I would then need a new PSU no doubt(I probably need a new one anyway). And are a new wave of cards coming in Q4 2011 to where I should hold off until they arrive? I am looking to spend around $600 total so if i went the Sli/Crossfire route that would be (2xGPU + PSU)=$600. I am willing to stretch the budget some if necessary and if the value is there. Also, should I buy another 6GB kit of ram to pair with my current 6GB?

To sum it up I am looking to spend $600 in the best way possible to upgrade my computer for playing games at (1920*1080).

All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
22 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about looking upgrade suggestions
  1. hotlanta22 said:
    I am looking to buy a new video card or card(s) within the next month or 2. My monitors max resolution is (1920*1080) so the goal is to run all the upcoming games(Deus Ex, Rage, Skyrim, Mass Effect 3, etc.) on the highest settings at (1920*1080). My current system looks like this:

    i7-950 (at stock mhz)
    GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD3R
    CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
    Sapphire HD5850
    OCZ Agility 2 60gb SSD
    SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 500GB
    Thermaltake TR2 600W
    ViewSonic X Series VX2260wm Black 21.5" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen Full HD 1080p LCD Monitor

    Should I be looking at a Sli/Crossfire solution? which I would then need a new PSU no doubt(I probably need a new one anyway). And are a new wave of cards coming in Q4 2011 to where I should hold off until they arrive? I am looking to spend around $600 total so if i went the Sli/Crossfire route that would be (2xGPU + PSU)=$600. I am willing to stretch the budget some if necessary and if the value is there. Also, should I buy another 6GB kit of ram to pair with my current 6GB?

    To sum it up I am looking to spend $600 in the best way possible to upgrade my computer for playing games at (1920*1080).

    All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

    Thanks!


    All you need is 1x 6950 to play those on high settings. I just played Deus Ex: Human Revolution and Metro 2033 with it.

    My Rig:
    Q6700 Quad core 2.66ghz stock oc'd to 3.5 ghz
    4gb of ddr2 memory lol...
    1x 6950 Sapphire
    OCZ Vertex III ssd 60gb
    750wattpsu

    With your psu I'd advise against crossfire as the 6950 can peak at around 250 watts. That just spells disaster. Another option would be a 6970 or a 580. Every other card is inferior.. (inb4 570lulz at 1.2gb vram)

    With said peaks, you could upgrade to a 750//800watt PSU and run 6950 or 6970's in crossfire (I'd suggest 6950's for money savings and because the 70's aren't needed) 6GB is fine really. It won't bottle neck you Unless you're playing 2x GTA IV's at the same time with 1 pc while encoding a video

    Alas Your best Solution:

    Just buy 1x 6950. In future you can buy another one to crossfire if wanted to 16xmlaa Skyrim or something flashy
  2. Thanks. I am leaning towards just getting the 1 6950 for now. Should I go with the 1gb or 2gb version? Also, would crossfiring 2 6950's be overkill?

    Thanks!
  3. hotlanta22 said:
    Thanks. I am leaning towards just getting the 1 6950 for now. Should I go with the 1gb or 2gb version? Also, would crossfiring 2 6950's be overkill?

    Thanks!

    I would suggest the 2 gb card, and crossfire is slightly over kill. I haven't found a game I can't play on high, and my cpu sucks.

    @Greg: He commented on wanting to upgrade, not wait 3,4 months hoping for a proper release which always get pushed back, for a card that has no specs out or benchmarks. Why not wait till 2013 for an 8990, I hear it will crush the 7950 twice over....
  4. +1 for Greg. Just wait since you have a pretty good card allready.
  5. Quote:
    because his card is still a HD6870 at best, and HD6850 Toxic at worst.
    performance is still there.

    As for getting the 6950, he would see a 20% increase in performance, I agree, but note that the card still handles it fine

    http://tpucdn.com/reviews/HIS/Radeon_HD_6950/images/bfbc2_1920_1200.gif

    http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/Radeon_HD_6950/8.html

    Here's a much more open benchmark instead of just a single game

    http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/295?vs=293

    We are also discussing crossfire options for future, In which he can do 6950's in crossfire.

    However, yes your 5850 will "run these games" probably rather flawlessly on medium settings I would imagine. I would lean towards your post of "I'd like a new card" In which the 6950 is a great choice
  6. Just wait till the next gen cards from AMD release.
    Or X-fire that HD 5850.
  7. Thinking of going with..

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.731480

    I would get Deus Ex for free and after the rebate it will only cost $230 total.
  8. hotlanta22 said:
    Thinking of going with..

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.731480

    I would get Deus Ex for free and after the rebate it will only cost $230 total.


    I prefer Sapphire, but who can disagree with xfx lifetime warranty lol
  9. Quote:

    100 dollar shipping to north america..

    edit: Deus was fun! I got Dirt 3 and Deus Ex with my cards. I'd suggest Deus.. unless you prefer driving games..
  10. Either X-fire your current setup or wait.
  11. Quote:
    I just notice it's australian..........my bad
    I do think the OP should look for HD5850s though, seeing he has a X58 board and a 5850, why not ?


    You are not alone......... :lol:


    I disagree.. He shouldn't because for future he has the option to crossfire 6950's. If he gets the 5850's there is no more room for growth, also microstutter is more prevalent on a weaker card like a 5850
  12. I am very tempted to go the crossfire route right now with

    2x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Comb [...] mbo.731480

    1x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703027 Will this PSU handle my new system? If not, please give suggestions.

    This adds up to:

    $620
    -$80 worth of rebates
    -$40ish dollars I could sell the extra Deus Ex coupon for.
    -$150 - it appears I can sell my HD5850 for around this.
    -$20 - can probably sell my old PSU for this if not more.
    =$330 is my guess at what my total will be.

    I am very tempted.....
  13. Best answer
    hotlanta22 said:
    I am very tempted to go the crossfire route right now with

    2x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Comb [...] mbo.731480

    1x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817703027 Will this PSU handle my new system? If not, please give suggestions.

    This adds up to:

    $620
    -$80 worth of rebates
    -$40ish dollars I could sell the extra Deus Ex coupon for.
    -$150 - it appears I can sell my HD5850 for around this.
    -$20 - can probably sell my old PSU for this if not more.
    =$330 is my guess at what my total will be.

    I am very tempted.....

    You can ask for a different game voucher I THINK. That first link doesn't work so I'll assume the 6950 xfx with Deus Ex vouchers.

    I use a 750 watt psu you're fine. PEAK 251 watt per 6950 = 502 + assumed 125watt cpu 627. throw in 23 for fans mobo hdd etc and your 100 in the clear. This is about the minimum I would recommend. This will work, and be beautiful

    You should consider three monitors as well for eye finity in the next few months, perhaps a blackfriday // boxing day sale
  14. hotlanta22 said:
    I am very tempted to go the crossfire route right now with

    2x http://www.newegg.com/Product/Comb [...] mbo.731480

    Link doesn't work.
  15. hotlanta22 said:

    Thought so, excellent choice :) With Crossfire configurations be sure to keep abreast with your drivers.
  16. Are you planning on CrossFiring soon ?
  17. Just ordered it up for $619.

    Thanks everyone, especially jonnyrb!
  18. Gman450 said:
    Are you planning on CrossFiring soon ?



    Immediately as I just purchased 2 of them!
  19. Best answer selected by hotlanta22.
  20. hotlanta22 said:
    Immediately as I just purchased 2 of them!

    Congrats! They won't let you down. Skyrim on 16x mlaa awaits lol
  21. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Graphics Product