Release dates for next PS/Xbox

I would like to know if there are any rough dates for the release of
next
gen PS and Xbox machines.

I am not sure if this has been asked before, and I dont see them of
some
of the game sites I visit, so the question.

Thanks,
Tanvir

I can't see them totally getting out of the game with PS2 support. They
have a huge base to sell too, and with the backwards compatibility its
not going to hurt them much.
On the other hand, it takes a lot of money to produce a game so
developers may want to push the cash into the next gen systems to focus
on what's hot.
It will be interesting to see just how many PS2 titles will trickle out
after the PS3 hits store shelves. We still got some decent PS titles
after PS2's release, but it was hard as a customer to play the PS
titles because the graphical leap was so huge between those machines.
Maybe that is what will drive the market. I mean, its only natural that
the consumer drive what the gaming companies are going to do. Our money
pays thier salaries after all, lol.

"tkay" <tanvirkazmi@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I would like to know if there are any rough dates for the release of
> next
> gen PS and Xbox machines.
>
> I am not sure if this has been asked before, and I dont see them of
> some
> of the game sites I visit, so the question.

So would you and everyone else.
There is no date etched in stone for either next gen console.
Rumor is the XBox II will be released this upcoming fall in the U.S. and
next Fall (2006) for the PS3.

"Boody Bandit" <lightenup@francis.news> wrote in message

> "tkay" <tanvirkazmi@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>I would like to know if there are any rough dates for the release of
>> next
>> gen PS and Xbox machines.
>>
>> I am not sure if this has been asked before, and I dont see them of
>> some
>> of the game sites I visit, so the question.
>
> So would you and everyone else.
> There is no date etched in stone for either next gen console.
> Rumor is the XBox II will be released this upcoming fall in the U.S. and
> next Fall (2006) for the PS3.

Will the release of the PS3 cause the price of ps2 games and consoles to
drop at all? Also, I think it will but hope it will not, will its release
cause support for the ps2 to end? Or will new peripherals and software cont
to be made?

"Sean Scott" <Its@secret> wrote in message

> "Boody Bandit" <lightenup@francis.news> wrote in message
>>
>> "tkay" <tanvirkazmi@gmail.com> wrote in message
>>>I would like to know if there are any rough dates for the release of
>>> next
>>> gen PS and Xbox machines.
>>>
>>> I am not sure if this has been asked before, and I dont see them of
>>> some
>>> of the game sites I visit, so the question.
>>
>> So would you and everyone else.
>> There is no date etched in stone for either next gen console.
>> Rumor is the XBox II will be released this upcoming fall in the U.S. and
>> next Fall (2006) for the PS3.
>>

> Will the release of the PS3 cause the price of ps2 games and consoles to
> drop at all? Also, I think it will but hope it will not, will its release
> cause support for the ps2 to end? Or will new peripherals and software
> cont to be made?

You can pretty much rest assured that when the PS3, and for that matter the
XBOX2 come out, that the price of the current generation of consoles, games
and accessories will drop.

And... It's pretty certain that development/support for those consoles will
come to an end shortly thereafter as well.

Sony and MS are in the business of making money right? Therefore it only
makes sense to do whatever they can to encourage the buying public to
purchase their latest (and most expensive) products.

The question I have is will Sony or hopefully MS re-release this
generation's version of the PS2 and XBOX in a more compact or portable
model?
It's doubtful for Sony as they just re-released the PS/2 in a 1/3 smaller
package, but what I'd like to see is the XBOX released as a "perphial card"
that you could buy and plug into your home PC, like you do a video or sound
card!

It could use your existing video, sound, dvd and hard drives!
How cool would that be!!!!

Jay J <jay___j@hotmail.com.nospam> wrote:

> You can pretty much rest assured that when the PS3, and for that matter the
> XBOX2 come out, that the price of the current generation of consoles, games
> and accessories will drop.

Agreed.

> And... It's pretty certain that development/support for those consoles will
> come to an end shortly thereafter as well.

Not so sure...

PS3 will be backwards compatible with the PS2, just as the PS2 is
backwards compatible with the PS1. You could still buy PS1's for a long
time after the PS2 was released, and due to the backwards compatibility
thing, people were still buying PS1 titles long after the PS2 launched. I
can only assume that the same thing will happen when the PS3 launches.
The PS2 will drop under $100, maybe even to $50 like the PS1 did, and the
software will begin dropping in price as well. However, it takes time for
a console to build up a decent sized library.

Now XBox2 is a different story. Details are still sketchy and we'll have
to wait until E3 in May to get the official word from Microsoft. I don't
think XBox2 will be backwards compatible with Xbox1. Even so, it's not
like Xbox1 will suddenly disappear from the market the day XBox2 hits the
shelves. And while most development will have moved over to the new
platform, I'm sure that we'll see a few new releases for Xbox trickle out
post-Xbox2 launch.

> The question I have is will Sony or hopefully MS re-release this
> generation's version of the PS2 and XBOX in a more compact or portable
> model?
> It's doubtful for Sony as they just re-released the PS/2 in a 1/3 smaller
> package, but what I'd like to see is the XBOX released as a "perphial card"
> that you could buy and plug into your home PC, like you do a video or sound
> card!

> It could use your existing video, sound, dvd and hard drives!
> How cool would that be!!!!

I doubt Sony will re-do the PS2 for the reasons you point out.

Don't know what Microsoft will do with Xbox. I would have thought that if
they *could* have produced a slimline model, they *would* have already.
However, given that Microsoft doesn't own/control the hardware inside the
Xbox, it's unlikely they'll get Intel and nVidia to create smaller
versions of their chipsets.

As for 'Xbox-on-a-card', it would be neat, but isn't feasible. There was a
console called the 3DO which was eventually acquired by Creative (yes, the
sound card folks) and they were going to come out with a 3DO-on-a-card for
your PC. Problem was, it required you to use a Creative soundcard and
Creative CD drive, and cost about $400 I believe, which was more than the
3DO cost by itself(?) As you might expect, it didn't sell well at all...

I really don't think we'll see Xbox-on-a-card because it'll cost too much
(why spend more for this card when you could buy a normal XBox for less
money?) and while there are folks working on XBox emulators, I suspect by
the time there's sufficient hardware power available to run these
emulators, the Xbox will have already faded from the market.

billy

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2003

"tkay" <tanvirkazmi@gmail.com> wrote in message
>I would like to know if there are any rough dates for the release of
> next
> gen PS and Xbox machines.
>
> I am not sure if this has been asked before, and I dont see them of
> some
> of the game sites I visit, so the question.
>
> Thanks,
> Tanvir

I heard that it was suppose to be sometime after 3/11/05. 8^}

Bill