Sunpak flash and D70

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
April 19, 2005 6:15:59 PM

I used the Sunpak 5000 with success with my N70, now I changed to the
D70. Has anyone had problems using this flash?

More about : sunpak flash d70

April 20, 2005 1:25:30 AM

"Ed" <edc4@aol.com> wrote in message
> I used the Sunpak 5000 with success with my N70, now I changed to the
> D70. Has anyone had problems using this flash?

Not me. Unless the Sunpak is iTTL compatible, you must use whatever
exposure control that the flash provides. In other words, it is no more
flexible than a Vivitar 283.
Jim
April 20, 2005 1:45:17 AM

"Jim" <j.n@nospam.com> wrote in message

> "Ed" <edc4@aol.com> wrote in message
>> I used the Sunpak 5000 with success with my N70, now I changed to the
>> D70. Has anyone had problems using this flash?
>>
> Not me. Unless the Sunpak is iTTL compatible, you must use whatever
> exposure control that the flash provides. In other words, it is no more
> flexible than a Vivitar 283.
> Jim

I was going to use my trusty Vivitar 283s with my D70, until I happened to
check the Trigger Voltages, and found them both to operate at 286 volts,
which would fry the Camera electronics.

So now I am looking for a new Flashgun, and apart from the 2 dedicated Nikon
Speedlights at their Stupid prices, I am not finding much available.

Roy G
April 20, 2005 3:18:44 AM

"Roy" <royphoty@iona-guesthouse.co.uk> wrote in message
> "Jim" <j.n@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Ed" <edc4@aol.com> wrote in message
>>> I used the Sunpak 5000 with success with my N70, now I changed to the
>>> D70. Has anyone had problems using this flash?
>>>
>> Not me. Unless the Sunpak is iTTL compatible, you must use whatever
>> exposure control that the flash provides. In other words, it is no more
>> flexible than a Vivitar 283.
>> Jim
>>
> I was going to use my trusty Vivitar 283s with my D70, until I happened to
> check the Trigger Voltages, and found them both to operate at 286 volts,
> which would fry the Camera electronics.
>
> So now I am looking for a new Flashgun, and apart from the 2 dedicated
> Nikon Speedlights at their Stupid prices, I am not finding much available.
>
> Roy G
Vivitar make an off camera cord for the 283/5 flashguns, use that. I do and
the trigger voltage off the bottom of the cord is a hell of a lot lower than
off the foot of the flash.
April 20, 2005 3:18:45 AM

"canongirly" <me@me.com> wrote in message
news:D 44043$8t9$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...

> "Roy" <royphoty@iona-guesthouse.co.uk> wrote in message
>> "Jim" <j.n@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> "Ed" <edc4@aol.com> wrote in message
>>>>
>>> Not me. Unless the Sunpak is iTTL compatible, you must use whatever
>>> exposure control that the flash provides. In other words, it is no more
>>> flexible than a Vivitar 283.
>>> Jim
>>>
>> I was going to use my trusty Vivitar 283s with my D70, until I happened
>> to check the Trigger Voltages, and found them both to operate at 286
>> volts, which would fry the Camera electronics.
>>
>> So now I am looking for a new Flashgun, and apart from the 2 dedicated
>> Nikon Speedlights at their Stupid prices, I am not finding much
>> available.
>>
>> Roy G
> Vivitar make an off camera cord for the 283/5 flashguns, use that. I do
> and the trigger voltage off the bottom of the cord is a hell of a lot
> lower than off the foot of the flash.
Canongirly, thanks for the suggestion.

Did you mean the cord which fits into the Camera Flash Shoe, and holds the
Flash Sensor, while the other end of the cord fits into the Sensor Socket on
the Gun.

If you did, I have just this minute tested the voltage, at the Shoe end and
it is still over 280 volts.

If you meant the Cable which should fit into the little socket just above
the Power Supply Input on the Gun, and goes to the Camera PC socket. I have
to say that someone forced PC plugs in there and wrecked the sockets. Not
me !

It seems that not all 283s have the same specs, and the older the gun, the
higher the trigger voltage. Perhaps I should just buy a new one, they are
still listed on the Vivitar site.

Roy G
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 4:32:01 AM

"Roy" <royphoty@iona-guesthouse.co.uk> wrote in

> "Jim" <j.n@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "Ed" <edc4@aol.com> wrote in message
>>> I used the Sunpak 5000 with success with my N70, now I changed to
>>> the D70. Has anyone had problems using this flash?
>>>
>> Not me. Unless the Sunpak is iTTL compatible, you must use whatever
>> exposure control that the flash provides. In other words, it is no
>> more flexible than a Vivitar 283.
>> Jim
>>
> I was going to use my trusty Vivitar 283s with my D70, until I
> happened to check the Trigger Voltages, and found them both to operate
> at 286 volts, which would fry the Camera electronics.
>
> So now I am looking for a new Flashgun, and apart from the 2 dedicated
> Nikon Speedlights at their Stupid prices, I am not finding much
> available.

Other than, say, the Sunpak 383, which is very much like a modernised Viv
283?
Anonymous
April 20, 2005 5:00:40 AM

In article <1113945359.933930.278350@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
"Ed" <edc4@aol.com> wrote:

> I used the Sunpak 5000 with success with my N70, now I changed to the
> D70. Has anyone had problems using this flash?

I can only state that I am using both the 522 handle mount and a Q Flash
both with out issue when attached to the D70 via a PC socket that mounts
to the camera's hot shoe.

to the American public."--Theodore Roosevelt, May 7, 1918
!