Switching from Intel to Amd : Is it good or bad?

maxson

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
What I see is, the big different between this two processors are their Max TDP. I don't understand is it good or bad if the processor have higher TDP or lower TDP. All I see is AMD have higher TDP than Intel. Can the Max TDP makes your bills increased? I never use AMD motherboard/processor before, so any information about AMD is really appreciated. Also, some said, AMD processor is cheaper than Intel processor. Is that right?

And, I don't know whether this motherboard socket is old tech or medium or can be considered as "worth to have".

http://www.lelong.com.my/msi-870-g45-am3-6-core-ready-ddr3-pcie2-0-core-unlocker-K747010B-2007-01-Sale-I.htm

I'm sorry, I know there is a language barrier but I don't understand which two CPU's you are talking about. Max TDP is very model specific.
One could say currently Intel is more energy efficient. But again, that depends on the model we are discussing.

If you had a 95W processor and a 125W cpu, it depends on how much work one can get done in comparison to the other. But either way, the small difference in wattage over the course of a year is probably in the range of $5-$10 US. In other words, for me I would not be too concerned with the power usage. Some folks leave their PC on all the time, I shut mine down overnight, or I let the windows power management shut down things for me so I don't worry about how much power I am using.

If you are power conscious, I think that's great. You should look into a device called Kill-A-Watt, around $30 US that you can attach to any appliance to see where you can save on the power bill.

The motherboard in the link you provided is old tech , It does not have sata3 or usb 3.0 and the two x16 slots are x16 and x4. It would be worth to have if you had old components to put in the motherboard. TDP stands for Thermal Design Power and when it comes to cpu's the lower the TDP the better. If you have a choice between Intel and AMD then I would choose Intel. AMD may in some instances may be cheaper than Intel but as they say you get what you pay for.

maxson

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Err..I don't know about AMD processor, but now I have Intel Dual Core E5700 3.0Ghz 65W. I want to upgrade to newer technology like the i' series especially quad core. But, the price was tooo expensive for a processor. When I compared to other AMD quad core, AMD prices is a lot cheaper than Intel but AMD Max TDP is higher than Intel.

Now I have Intel processor, a dual core. I want to upgrade to quad core, newer technology. For Intel, my target is to get the i5 (quad core model) and any budget i7 processor. For AMD, I have no idea about their processor, very rarerly focusing on AMD news. So, do you recommend me to go for AMD?

How about this one?

http://www.lelong.com.my/asrock-970-extreme-3-supports-am3-ddr3-ati-crossfirex-2-x-usb-3-0-93801240-2011-11-Sale-P.htm

More detail about this motherboard;

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157280

The processor, what do you think?

http://www.lelong.com.my/amd-phenom-ii-x4-840-3-2ghz-socket-938-am3-processor-I1012584-2007-01-Sale-I.htm

As I can see, there are many models, AMD Athlon II/Phenom II/Processor/Turion. Which one is newer? Are the processor from the link above good? or it is now considered as old tech?

zooted

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2010
^That motherboard is very good, I feel its the best "budget" board for amd. The processor is ok, it is not a true phenom as it is stripped of its l3 cache. If you could find the 955 be for a little bit more I would go for that.

You should get a AM3+ motherboard if you want it to be upgradeable later on. AM3 board limits you to Phenom II's/Athlon II's.

An inexpensive AM3+ motherboard and a Phenom II X4 955BE is the best bang for the buck processor you can get and a AM3+ motherboard would allow you to upgrade to bulldozer or piledriver.

maxson

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

FYI, the motherboard from the link support AM3+.

Heres the link

http://www.lelong.com.my/asrock-970-extreme-3-supports-am3-ddr3-ati-crossfirex-2-x-usb-3-0-93801240-2011-11-Sale-P.htm

maxson

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
And, is this PSU compatible with that motherboard?

http://www.lelong.com.my/enermax-naxn-600watts-80plus-true-power-hot-sale-K896518-2007-01-Sale-I.htm

Please don't just guessing it is compatible.

As as I said earlier, I don't know anything about AMD, so from the link I mentioned (the AsRock motherboard), is the 8 pins for the processor fan? Does the PSU support 8 pins?

For the 24 pins cable (them main power cable), is it permanently 24? Or can it be 20 pin (the extra 4 pin removed) so it will compatible with 20 pin on motherboard?

g-unit1111

Titan

Any PSU will work with any board - but Enermax is NOT a good choice. Anything else is better - try Antec, Corsair, Seasonic, Silverstone, there's like a 1,000 options that are way better.

The main thing about AMD vs. Intel is you have to ask yourself what your primary use is. For games and video editing, Intel is the best choice out of anything. AMD works great with a lot of games too and internet usage/video/anything else, but SB is the highest of the high end for now.

maxson

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

How about Cooler Master? Cooler Master PSU looks far cheaper than those you mentioned. I found Corsair with 500W but will it handle the motherboard and quad core processor.

Here's my new build with AMD (on plan) and PSU (not yet decided so help me :D);

Cooler Master GX550W
Asrock 970 Extreme 3
AMD Phenom II X4 840 3.2Ghz

Vantec NexStar 600W
Asrock 970 Extreme 3

Corsair Builder Series CX500
Asrock 970 Extreme 3

And, for now I have mid-range GPU GT 430 1GB DDR3, not planning to upgrade this time. But will it handle all those hardware? I actually focusing on gaming, but Im not extreme gamer. I just play when I bored or nothing to do. But most of game I played is newer so it might need more power to handle it right? Will 500 - 600W enough?

I have heard GX series from Cooler Master is good.

My current system;

power supply ATX 500W
(don't know what brand it is but it does not have SATA cable)
Gigabyte ga-g41m-es2l motherboard
Dual Core e5700 3.0Ghz
750GB SATA HDD