Solved

Noob question about a Motherboard

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • BIOS
  • CPUs
Last response: in Motherboards
December 8, 2012 4:16:40 PM

Hi I am trying to figure something out I know I can put a Z77 CPU and a Z68 Motherboard by just updating the Bios but you have to start off with a Z68 (Sandy Bridge) CPU first. What I am planning on doing is build 2 computer one for me and one for my little brother and i'll use his Z68 CPU for a bit to update the bios. The problem I am having is when I update the Bios on the Z68 Motherboard to use a Z77 CPU will I get PCI-E 3.0 because I plan on using a GTX 680. I know this is probably way to obvious for a noob but I just want to be sure.

The motherboard ill be using is a GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P
Ill use a Core i3 (Sandy Bridge) to update the bios and then Ill be using a Core i7 (Ivy Bridge)

Now your probably wondering why I am doing this, It's because the Z77 motherboards aren't great looking (I know stupid) Most Z77 Motherboards have VGA & DVI ports on the I/O on the motherboard. I don't like that it doesn't look good, and I can't seem to find one with only an HDMI without going over my budget.

More about : noob question motherboard

a c 435 V Motherboard
a c 159 à CPUs
December 8, 2012 4:42:21 PM

Your board already has pci-e 3.0 support for ivy bridge cpus only. I would check the post screen to see what bios version you have now before flashing. You may not need to.
m
l
December 8, 2012 4:44:56 PM

o1die said:
Your board already has pci-e 3.0 support for ivy bridge cpus only. I would check the post screen to see what bios version you have now before flashing. You may not need to.

It does? I'm looking at it on NewEgg and it says PCI-E 2.0
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 81 V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
December 8, 2012 5:06:16 PM

GA-Z68XP-UD3P (rev. 1.3) has the pcie 3.0 support, the GA-Z68XP-UD3P (rev. 1.0) doesn't have.
I don't know what revision your mobo is, but anyway it won't make a difference in terms of performance pcie 3.0 vs pcie 2.0 : http://www.hardocp.com/images/articles/1341219566Ew8yr7...
The important thing, is to update the mobo with the latest bios with a sandybridge cpu.

December 9, 2012 12:04:50 AM

Oh wow okay, thanks a bunch man I really appreciate it :D 
m
l
December 9, 2012 12:04:59 AM

Best answer selected by UnknownLobster.
m
l
!