Pc keeps shutting down

sharnthor

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Hi

My pc keeps switching off randomly. Sometimes I use it for days and nothing, other times I mereky switch it on and 5 minutes later it just switches off completely.

Once its off, I have to pull power completely before I can restart. I tried 3 different rams already and I still get the same.

Asus AM2-VM HDMI motherboard
2gb corsair ram
2gb kingston ram
2x1gb samsung ram
Amd 6000+ cpu
450watt psu
Ati Radeon 4350 graphics card

I checked the temps and everythings fine. Mb at 40 degrees, cpu at 47degrees and greaphic card at 50 degrees.

Please help

Solution
Replacing capacitors on a motherboard requires a soldering iron, solder, and a good deal of care and patience. You might have better luck finding a used mobo for your CPU (if you can reload Windows).
Any that are leaking or damaged will need to be replaced.
I have ordered replacement capacitors from www.mouser.com.
A good place to go for more information on "recapping" a motherboard is www.badcaps.org. They may even have complete kits of all the capacitors needed for your specific motherboard.

sharnthor

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Jup, didnt solve the problem.
I starteed from one side removing stuff, but obviously I cant see if it works since I need to be in windows to see if it shuts down.
I also reinstalled windows already

sharnthor

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Hi

Just an update here...

I took out nearly everything, as I thought that's it's a power issue, and this did not work. I'm currently running only the Graphics Card(Ati Radeon 4650), 1x Sandisk 120GB SSD, 1x WD 500GB HDD and a wifi card(PCI). That's it... The computer still switches off randomly.

I'm also keeping an eye on the temperatures and it seems my GPU clocked at 67 degrees the other day, but generally runs around 45-55 degrees.

I can't seem to find the problem?

sharnthor

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Sorry, I meant to say that I did. I ran my pc for just short of a month withdraws only 1x 2gb kingston in and it did the same. I tried for a week with just the corsair and that didnt work. I havent tried with the samsung ones, but they just crappy ram, so I didnt bother. Im currently running my pc without a dvd writer to test the power, I also took one of the 3 hdds out.

You've used some pretty low-quality PSUs there. Among the cost-cutting features of such units is often the removal of filtering components on the input. This means that power disturbances (e.g. spikes and surges) may be passing right through it, affecting your other components. At the very least, get a decent surge protector. Make sure your ground is good.
Finally, as old as some of your components are, go over the mobo closely, looking for swollen, leaking, and/or cracked capacitors. Google "bad capacitors" for images of them.

bryanl

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2009
This is almost always a power or overheat problem, not memory.

I doubt it's the PSU since you've replaced it with something that is not particularly bad (the best I can say about a Cooler Master). It's possible the motherboard's VRM is failing due to capacitors, specifically any labelled KZG or KZJ.

Overheating may be due to the heatsink-fan not making good contact with the CPU.

sharnthor

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
With regards to the heatsink, I replaced my old with with a descent one already.

Ill keep an eye out for the 2 capacitors that you mentioned.

Im in SA, so getting some replacements wil be difficult. Ill have a look though.

Ill keep you guys posted. Thanks for the help!!!!

sharnthor

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
Okay...Ive found 3 capacitors thats damaged, one of them leaking.

2 big ones and one smaller one, both looks the same, both brown. This is what I could get from them...

brown -kzg x 2
( m)105 degrees celcius
7( t)
nb

brown
atwy
820 uf
6.3v
tk
105 degrees celcius
738a

The second one is around half the size of the first one.

Any suggestions on which ones to buy? Im gonna have to replace them myself and hope for the best as this is all Ive got cash for.

Replacing capacitors on a motherboard requires a soldering iron, solder, and a good deal of care and patience. You might have better luck finding a used mobo for your CPU (if you can reload Windows).
Any that are leaking or damaged will need to be replaced.
I have ordered replacement capacitors from www.mouser.com.
A good place to go for more information on "recapping" a motherboard is www.badcaps.org. They may even have complete kits of all the capacitors needed for your specific motherboard.

Solution

sharnthor

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
I checked these guys, but they're all overseas suppliers. The cost massively increases when I import, with import taxes alone being 46%.

For now, Ill have alook in SA and try and replace them. Ive got everything to replace the capacitors, accept for the actual capacitors. Do you know which capacitors it is exacly? At least then I know what to look for. Also, at least its only 3 that I need to replace so it cant be the end of the world either.

Look at the electrical values of the capacitors that are blown or leaking. Capacitance is usually expressed in microfarads, and you'll need the same voltage. A site like badcaps.org can help you identify the manufacturer, and that company's site (or one like mouser.com) can help you decipher the codes on them.