Sign in with
Your question

Radeon 6950 setup to 2 monitors and 1 TV

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 7, 2011 6:06:49 PM

Hello,

I just purchased an XFX Radeon 6950 which has 2 DVI-I dual links, 2 mini display ports and 1 HDMI. I have 2 computer monitors (both HDMI and VGA outputs only) and a 50" plasma with HDMI).

The TV is just for watching movies off my computer. Is there a way to have all three connected and when I want to use my TV to deactivate one of my monitors and use the TV? Obviously I want to use the HDMI port for my TV so it'll carry sound. This would just be an extended desktop as well, not using eyefinity. Or maybe a way to have all three active at once and when not using my TV just to deactivate that would work too.

Thanks for your help!!!
a b C Monitor
September 7, 2011 6:28:37 PM

Your question has literally confused the life out of me......
Why so many activated and deactivated monitors.
A simple thing would have been.... I want to activate all three monitors, how do I do it?
Since you are aware of eyefinity, then, you must have the basic idea right?
And if you don't want to use a particular monitor all you have to do is switch it off....
You want to watch TV on your TV...... change input source to the TV Channel Input Cable.....
You want to Expand your Desktop to your TV Change the TV Input source to your HDMI input from the PC.

Right? Thats not too complicated.

So basically I guess you want all the screens to work with the rig, correct me if I am wrong....
And then I'll give the details of how.
m
l
September 7, 2011 6:34:57 PM

Haha sorry about confusing the life outta you.

Basically yes I want to have all 3 screens working on an extended screen. Everything I seem to find says I need to use a mini-displayport but wasn't sure. So figured I'd ask.

Thanks again
m
l
Related resources
a b C Monitor
September 7, 2011 6:37:02 PM

Yes, that is inevitable, you have to use a mini display port and not just any mini display port but and ACTIVE Mini Display port.
By the way, what are the Inputs available on your tele?

By logic you can have 2 monitors on the same types of connectors on the GPU and one on a different kind of VGA output

DVI + DVI+ HDMI
DVI + DVI+ Mini Disp Port
Just examples....
Some may not allow these combinations too
m
l
September 7, 2011 6:46:14 PM

It has HDMI, component and composite.

So with having to use the mini display port, would I just pick up a minidisplay port (active) to HDMI cable ( for the monitor). And use an HDMI cable to the tv and use a hdmi to DVI cable for the second monitor?
m
l
a b C Monitor
September 7, 2011 6:48:20 PM

Yup that ought to work, you do have it figured out. The only problem is , I haven't been able to find an Active Display Port to HDMI adapter as yet.
m
l
September 7, 2011 6:54:24 PM

alyoshka said:
Yup that ought to work, you do have it figured out. The only problem is , I haven't been able to find an Active Display Port to HDMI adapter as yet.

Ohh okay. Thanks dude!

Crap... I can't seem to find anything either... only passive ones.

m
l
a b C Monitor
September 7, 2011 6:56:51 PM

:)  I have a HDMI to DVI converter, so I guess they will have one which is Vice Versa.
Try to check a few details on Active mini disp port to dvi converter and a DVI to HDMI jack.
Might help
m
l
September 7, 2011 7:22:10 PM

Except for the Sapphire FLEX edition cards, all of the Radeon cards I've seen can only drive two non-DisplayPort monitors at once, regardless of the variety of connectors on the card. This means you can't drive two DVI and one HDMI at the same time using those ports on the card - you have to pick two, then either connect your third device via native DisplayPort connection or use an ACTIVE dongle on one of the DisplayPort connectors to convert it to the connection you need.

Do your two PC monitors really have HDMI and VGA inputs, and no DVI?
I would expect DVI on the monitors and no HDMI.

Assuming you have DVI on both monitors, this is your best bet:

1. Connect the computer to the TV using an HDMI cable, so you can carry audio and video on the one cable

2. Get an ACTIVE Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter (25-30 $USD at NewEgg.com)

3. Connect your two PC monitors using DVI cables

If the monitors really have HDMI and no DVI, you can buy simple adapters, or you can buy DVI to HDMI cables (monoprice.com).

You won't have to deactivate any monitors to enable the TV. Depending on your video playback software, you may be able to watch movies full-screen on the TV while continuing to work on the other two monitors.

If you want to use Eyefinity, I suggest creating a single desktop across the two computer monitors, but leave the TV as its own monitor.

Good luck!
m
l
September 7, 2011 7:33:15 PM

stewartwb said:
Do your two PC monitors really have HDMI and VGA inputs, and no DVI?
I would expect DVI on the monitors and no HDMI.

Assuming you have DVI on both monitors, this is your best bet:

1. Connect the computer to the TV using an HDMI cable, so you can carry audio and video on the one cable

2. Get an ACTIVE Mini DisplayPort to DVI adapter (25-30 $USD at NewEgg.com)

3. Connect your two PC monitors using DVI cables

If the monitors really have HDMI and no DVI, you can buy simple adapters, or you can buy DVI to HDMI cables (monoprice.com).

You won't have to deactivate any monitors to enable the TV. Depending on your video playback software, you may be able to watch movies full-screen on the TV while continuing to work on the other two monitors.

If you want to use Eyefinity, I suggest creating a single desktop across the two computer monitors, but leave the TV as its own monitor.

Good luck!

Haha really really. I thought my smaller one had DVI on it but nope. Was disappointed lastnight when just trying to hook up both of them. As the card won't allow me to have one dvi and one hdmi connected (no clue why). So thankfully I had an extra dvi to hdmi adapter laying around lol...

So basically buy a mini displayport to dvi and than a dvi to hdmi adapter. Hahahaha holy adapters :pt1cable: 

m
l
a b C Monitor
September 7, 2011 7:39:09 PM

I couldn't help but Lol at the "Really Really"......errrrrrrrrrr Really??? Cos after all it was Last Night that you tried to check and see if it fits.......
m
l
September 7, 2011 7:45:09 PM

bigscarymonk said:
Haha really really. I thought my smaller one had DVI on it but nope. Was disappointed lastnight when just trying to hook up both of them. As the card won't allow me to have one dvi and one hdmi connected (no clue why). So thankfully I had an extra dvi to hdmi adapter laying around lol...

So basically buy a mini displayport to dvi and than a dvi to hdmi adapter. Hahahaha holy adapters :pt1cable: 

Yep - it can be a pain. At least HDMI and DVI are electrically identical for the video portion of the signal... just a simple cable or adapter works.

Assuming you already have HDMI cables for your monitors, buy a pair of DVI to HDMI adapters for the PC side of the connections. Those, along with an active dongle (mini-Displayport to DVI), should give you what you need.
m
l
a b C Monitor
September 7, 2011 7:55:40 PM

What's he going to do with a mini-HDMI to DVI dongle?
He doesn't have a mini-HDMI to put it anywhere, not on the card, not in the tele and not in the monitors......????????????????????
m
l
September 7, 2011 8:00:03 PM

alyoshka said:
What's he going to do with a mini-HDMI to DVI dongle?
He doesn't have a mini-HDMI to put it anywhere, not on the card, not in the tele and not in the monitors......????????????????????

(Corrected to mini-DisplayPort... too many acryonyms!)
m
l
!