How to know if cable box or router is failing?

shazzmoe

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Sorry if this has been posted but I couldn't find anyone wanting to test exactly what I'm looking to do here.

About 4 weeks ago my internet connection began randomly dropping. Or at least it seemed random at first, but usually happened 1-3 times per day within an hour of the same time each day. At first I thought comcast may have been adjusting settings each day which was causing a 1-20 minute drop. Thankfully this usually only happened in the evening so only my games were getting disconnected. During the day my job requires me to have a stable internet connection so I'm getting very worried it will disconnect on the job.

I contacted Comcast and they "assured" me that nothing was wrong on their end. They told me all I needed to do was do a full reset of everything. Needless to say that has not changed anything.

I have been using a Netgear WNDR3700 router in conjunction with a Linksys cable modem for about 6 months. Prior to this I was using a Linksys router which was garbage and eventually failed. The netgear has been nothing short of wonderful and still allows me to connect to it even when the internet drops. The linksys cable modem is several years old. Because of how the wiring is setup there is no simple way for me to plug one computer directly into the cable box and use it for a few days without the router.

A final note: when the connection drops often times it will return on its own without me having to touch anything on the modem. Only once has it been out so long that resetting it was the only way to bring it back.

What should I do? Could it be the router? Do you think I need a new cable modem? Or is Comcast full of it and has some sort of networking instability?

tkrl26

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2010
Comcast goes through cable correct? I would check out the outside cable line, where it attaches to your home. Check to see if the line is rubbing against your gutters or anything that could (over time) rub and rub, and eventually cut the line.

Sounds like an issue I had. The cable line was rubbing against my gutters when the wind blew, and over time it actually cut through the line. And I would get the symptoms you are describing... ISP came out, replaced the line, and everything was wonderful again.

Just something to try. Best of luck!

shazzmoe

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Well I just replaced the modem about 15 hours ago. All has been going fairly well. I was dropped for about 5 seconds this morning however I've never had a drop be that short. First comcast call - told me to restart everything (that did not do jack). Second one told me the modem was out dated and I needed to replace it. Well I don't know that I'm convinced its fixed yet so if anyone has a suggestion of a way to find out sooner please let me know.

Also: the bulk of the outside cable is under ground, the part that I can see doesn't look like its rubbing on anything.