Sign in with
Your question

New Gaming Comp -3k+

Last response: in Systems
November 5, 2011 11:13:08 AM

Hello all,

Lurking for a bit but now that I am going to purchase I want to ensure I am not doing anything too stupid ;) .

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Approximate Purchase Date: This weekend

Budget Range: 3-4k

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, speakers

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.ca

Country of Origin: Canada

Parts Preferences: Nvidia for GPU.

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: Performance and Stability are what I want. I will be margining my overclocking to "ensure" stability.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Antec DF-85 Black ATX Full Tower Computer Case

I picked this so I could use the PS

Antec CP-1000 1000W Continuous ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

ASUS P8P67 WS REVOLUTION LGA 1155 Intel P67 / NVIDIA NF200 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I72600K

Crucial M4 CT128M4SSD2 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

NVIDIA GTX570 SLI/3D Vision Upgrade Kit
I want to try the 3D. I don't see the version 2 glasses out yet and this bundle gave me a good discount.

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ16GX3M4A1600C9B

Microsoft Windows 7 Professional SP1 64-bit - OEM
Though I have to look at what ultimate offers that Pro doesn't. I do VPN etc and use my computer for work.

I am not sure about cooling for the CPU, RAM or chipset. Any recommendations would be good (I have read a bunch but I think my brain is about to explode).

For the monitor - I was looking at upgrading my main monitor to a 3d one but I don't see any on Newegg right now. I will continue to look at these but if you have any advice it would be great.

HDD - I just want a 1 or 2 TB HDD for all my random crap. I would like it to perform well since I like to fraps (or should I consider getting another SSD?).

In the end I am expecting to have a gaming machine that I also use for work (dumb terminal, vnc type stuff) and video. The video only needs to be captured fast (from fraps). I will end up with one 3D monitor in the center and 2 monitors of the same type on the sides (for Nvidia Surround in games).

Any advice you guys have will be appreciated. I expect I will be ordering the components this weekend (Sunday). I can always order the monitors separately (different website) and at a different time.

More about : gaming comp

November 5, 2011 11:46:37 AM

if you're going to spend that much money, wait 2 weeks for SB-E/LGA 2011, go with a GTX 580, get a better case and stick in watercooling.
m
l
November 5, 2011 12:24:53 PM

^ That, and switch your mobo to a Z68 chipset. A recommended one is ASRock Extreme7 Gen3.

Granted, you can spend 3k+, but that doesn't mean that you have to. You can switch your CPU to an i5-2500k, as that i7 won't have any noticeable and realistic impact over the i5 in terms of gaming, which I understand is your only primary purpose for this rig, and save yourself around $100. Or you can wait for SB-E.

For a cooling solution, the only one I know of is the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO, although at your budget you can certainly do better, not that the Evo is by any means crap. It's just that you can fit in more overkill solutions for OC'ing, such as water or some gigantic heatsinks. Overall, cooling depends on how high you want to push your OC.

RAM is overkill at 16GB, and I would do 12 at the most. But 16 is fine if you really want to.

For HDD, I would say a Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm or a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB.
m
l
Related resources
November 5, 2011 12:54:25 PM

bennaye said:
^ That, and switch your mobo to a Z68 chipset. A recommended one is ASRock Extreme7 Gen3.

Granted, you can spend 3k+, but that doesn't mean that you have to. You can switch your CPU to an i5-2500k, as that i7 won't have any noticeable and realistic impact over the i5 in terms of gaming, which I understand is your only primary purpose for this rig, and save yourself around $100. Or you can wait for SB-E.

For a cooling solution, the only one I know of is the Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO, although at your budget you can certainly do better, not that the Evo is by any means crap. It's just that you can fit in more overkill solutions for OC'ing, such as water or some gigantic heatsinks. Overall, cooling depends on how high you want to push your OC.

RAM is overkill at 16GB, and I would do 12 at the most. But 16 is fine if you really want to.

For HDD, I would say a Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm or a Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB.

Yep I agree - I have no desire to spend money just to spend it. So I will look at the i5. For the RAM I run 2 virtual machines and since it was ~50$$ I thought this would avoid any footprint issues.

In the case of the MB - won't it likely have some kinks to work out and it will cost more? Plus do we know its going to be out in a couple of weeks? I have no interest in being on the bleeding edge (I leave that to you guys who know what your are doing), I just want a machine that will handle BF3, Skyrim etc and will do some basic overclocking. However, if the community thinks that this new MB actually gets rid of significant issues and I will end up with a faster gaming system with it then I will certainly consider spending the money. One thing I should point out is that I don't typically upgrade my components, my old computer goes to my wife and hers goes to my son and so on ... The machines typically stay as is.

The GTX 580 doesn't perform as well as two GTX 570s and if I was to buy 2 of them then that would improve the performance but for hundreds of $$ I wouldn't think it is worth it right now. I also need the two cards for Nvidia 2D Surround.

The case I picked for the PS as I indicated. Is there another case you think is better that fits the PS .. or do you think that PS with all of the positive reviews is not worth it? As well, I know nothing about water cooling but there is a Antec P193 that says it supports water cooling - is that what is meant by a better case? I thought Antec's were good based on forum posts around here. If the P193 makes sense that should work since it already allows the PSU I want and I will look up your Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO.

I added the Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200rpm as you recommended.

Feel free to correct my assumptions above - I came for advice so I don't take any offense.

**Note : My current price of the components above is ~2k. Recall I still need to purchase the 3D monitor etc plus the other components I am asking you guys about. My budget is not unlimited and I typically don't buy the leading edge stuff for both reliability and $$/performance reasons.
m
l
November 5, 2011 2:25:52 PM

the cp 1000 is trash compared to other psu's on the market. at only an 80 plus rating it makes sense to get this psu- http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681... only 50 watts less which is enough to run 2 580's let alone 2 570's. also it is a little cheaper with shipping included and it has an extremely long 7yr warranty that should last you through 2 builds.

The evga z68 ftw motherboard is a great board- http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=13-188-0... but it is out of stock. it has much better reviews on newegg than the p67 ws revolution and here is a professional review- http://www.guru3d.com/article/evga-z68-ftw-review/25 the only nock they had on it was for not enough usb 3.0 and sata III ports.

for gaming stick with the i5 2500k or i7 2600k. you will see no performance boost over the 2600k if you get the sandy bridge-E processors. it will be a waste of money.

16gb's of ram is almost ridiculous for a gaming computer considering games right now can only use up 4gb's at most. here is a good 8gb kit- http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...

for your hard drive... with the recent price jump i would only get a 500gb- http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682... . the prices will go down if you can hold out with the crucial m4 for a while i would.
m
l
November 5, 2011 10:24:31 PM

Thanks, I will look at the z68 (see where I can get it from). I will also change the PSU. I will keep the i7 2600 and the ram since I do run 2 virtual machines and they definitely benefit from the extra ram (12 would be marginal).

For the Harddrive perhaps I will not add one for now. I have plenty of external ones and a network one so I dont really need one until I start frapsing which won't be for a couple of months.

Thanks for the advice. Does the cooling that bennaye mentioned make sense?
m
l
November 6, 2011 1:04:28 PM

Judo said:
Thanks, I will look at the z68 (see where I can get it from). I will also change the PSU. I will keep the i7 2600 and the ram since I do run 2 virtual machines and they definitely benefit from the extra ram (12 would be marginal).

For the Harddrive perhaps I will not add one for now. I have plenty of external ones and a network one so I dont really need one until I start frapsing which won't be for a couple of months.

Thanks for the advice. Does the cooling that bennaye mentioned make sense?

it depends how high will you overclock the 2600k?
m
l
November 6, 2011 5:38:33 PM

I figured that if I got a good cooler I would be able to get some extra frequency out of the device while still remaining relatively cool. If the one above is a "good" fan then I will work with it and then find an appropriate frequency. If there is a significantly better one thats within 30-50 dollars then I would rather get that to ensure I have more temperature margins.

m
l
!