Sign in with
Your question

New computer built but have ran into BSOD

Last response: in Systems
November 5, 2011 12:35:12 PM

Hey guys i finally got all my parts and built my new computer however after it running fine for a day i suddenly have a BSOD showing up. it seems to show up at random and i can expect the computer to be running fine from anywhere between 1minute to 1+hours.

The computer doesnt seem to be having an issue in safe mode which made me think it was a driver issue however i ran a program called "Who Crashed" to help identify the code that appears on the blue screen as it isnt up for me long enough to read it. Here is what Who Crashed found:

On Sat 5/11/2011 1:01:11 PM GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\110611-18735-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: hal.dll (hal+0x12A3B)
Bugcheck code: 0x124 (0x0, 0xFFFFFA8007F47028, 0xF601A000, 0x136)
Error: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\hal.dll
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: Hardware Abstraction Layer DLL
Bug check description: This bug check indicates that a fatal hardware error has occurred. This bug check uses the error data that is provided by the Windows Hardware Error Architecture (WHEA).
This is likely to be caused by a hardware problem problem. This problem might be caused by a thermal issue.
The crash took place in a standard Microsoft module. Your system configuration may be incorrect. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver on your system which cannot be identified at this time.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

This program is telling me it is an actual hardware issue which is rather disturbing. I reinstalled windows thinking this may fix the problem as it suggested it may be possibly be cause by another driver however the issue still stands.

Any advice or help would be really great as right now i really dont know what to do.

Cheers,
FenrirWC

a b B Homebuilt system
November 5, 2011 1:16:07 PM

Quote:
This problem might be caused by a thermal issue

I would download speedfan and monitor your Temp's. If thats not it I would run Memtest.
m
l
November 5, 2011 1:32:58 PM

temps dont seem to be an issue cpu is on the stock cooler but is still sitting around 40-47 degree. My initial thought was hard drive or RAM. as i have a sabertooth 990fx board popped the side of the case and took a quick look. i tried to run prime 95 blend test. with 4 workers running worker 4 failed on test 2 O_o and then the other slowly found errors as they went.

Would i be right in thinking this is a ram issue? im gonna pull out one of the ram sticks (2x4GB g.skill ripjaws f3-12800CL9D-8GBRL) and run the test on the sticks individually
m
l
Related resources
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
November 5, 2011 1:58:36 PM

In my experience, a lot of BSODs result from messed up video card drivers like if you install one that is for Windows 7 if you are using Windows XP, for instance.

I would If the Windows 7 version of the drivers had some function that XP doesn't recognize it would crash and BSOD if the graphics card tried to use that function.

While you are trying to sort all this out, I would at check into that possibility as well. Also, the newest drivers aren't always the most stable. Rolling back to an earlier set of drivers could make things more stable.

Many people like to stay with the "latest and greatest" drivers, but systems are more stable if you stick with what you have until you notice problems and then only go forwards enough to get rid of the errors.
m
l
November 6, 2011 12:01:53 AM

so i have plugged both sticks of ram in and there doesnt seem to be a problem anymore however sometimes when i start the computer it does not detect the 500gb seagate barraccuda hard drive that is installed. does anyone have any idea why this might be happening?

trying to figure it out as quickly as possible so if i do have a defective part i can send it back to where i bought my parts from.
m
l
November 6, 2011 1:12:36 AM

here is a list of my computer parts if it helps any sorry for not making this thread very detailed till now as i was short on time not knowing when my computer would have its next BSOD. I have now set up my old computer again. Here are the specs for my new comp that is having the issues:

case: bitfenix shinobi (no window)
cpu: AMD Phenom II x4 960T BE
MoBo: Asus Sabertooth 990fx
RAM: 2x4GB g.skill ripjaws f3-12800CL9D-8GBRL
GPU: Sapphire 6950 2gb
Optical: asus dvd rw
HDD: Seagate 500gb
PSU: silversonic 1000w 80+ silver

Fans:
CPU:stock cooler
bitfinex 120mm x2 intakes front of case
bitfenix 120mm x1 rear exhaust.

CPU temps:
min: 32 degree celcius
Max 51 degree celcius
monitored by cpu temp

just ran seagate tool for checking HDD and the hard drive failed on on the short test DST. i have thrown in the windows 7 disc to do a repair and am now running chkdsk to see if it will fix the issue
m
l
November 6, 2011 9:57:55 AM

so i was talking to my friend who helped me build my comp and he said he plugged the HDD in into the sata 3gb/s port and ran the power cable through so if there was a problem it must be in the hard drive. after looking on the net i found that my hard drive ST500DM002 is actually 6gb/s. so i have opened the case and swapped the cables over from 3gb/s to 6gb/s and ran sea tools again. The short DST test has now passed where it was failing before. the generic short passed as well (haven't ran generic long yet).

Is it really possible that swapping the SATA ports has fixed the issue? or is this more likely just a temporary solution? Surely 3gb/s wouldnt of caused all the problems ive had?
m
l
a c 78 B Homebuilt system
November 12, 2011 10:05:05 PM

Hard to tell, I am not familiar with the internal workings of hard drives as much as some others.

One thing I do know, though, is that computers can be very picky.

DDR2 ram slots may not work too well with DDR1 or DDR3 ram, for example.

I could see hard drives working the same way.

If your computer expects 3 and you give it 6, that could overload things.
m
l
November 26, 2011 1:35:41 AM

well its been 2 weeks now since i swapped the sata ports and so far i havent had any issues with the computer. BsoD has gone away and never come back and hard drive hasnt failed any tests and seems to be working ok now.
m
l
!