Matching a new GPU With 73 Inch DLP TV Television

Evarin

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
Hello all,

I have a 73 inch Mitsubishi DLP television which has a native 1920x1080 resolution. I am currently using a GTX 295 graphic's card, which does an ok job at rendering at that resolution, but isn't DX11 capable, and is rapidly showing it's age.

I'm looking at getting a card (or cards) which can handle playing at this resolution at pretty much max settings for any game out now, or coming out in the near future. I have an i7-920, an ASUS mobo capable of SLI, and 12 gigs of DDR3 Corsair Dominator ram, and a Corsair HX1000w power supply for reference. More detailed specs can be provided if needed.

The two card setups i'm currently considering are running 2 GTX 560 Ti's in SLI, or 1 580. Cost is a factor, but not too much a concern. 2 580's, however, are out of the question. I'm trying to keep my choice at/under 600 dollars. I was considering all of the major brands (EVGA, GIGABYTE, ASUS, MSI, ETC) for both cards, but for the SLI option, I definitely want to go with 2 cards that wont dump hot air into one another.

I'm perfectly willing to consider other options, but one of those two seems to be the best way to go. I'm also willing to try to overclock the GPUs and/or CPU, but I have no experience in doing so, and the guides I read never seem to match up to the options presented to me by my BIOS.

Any help, suggestions, recommendations, etc would be greatly appreciated.

ram1009

Distinguished
The size of your screen is not a consideration, only it's resolution. Any of the GPUs you mention will work fine as will many more less expensive. Current PC games are dummed way down so as to be able to run on 5 year old consoles. Therefore nearly any GPU you can buy today will play any game available today at reasonable settings. Those you mention will allow maxing the settings. I doubt you'll get much from overclocking anything.

tomskent

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010

What "current issues" are you talking about?

The GTX295 should run games extremely well at 1920x1080, although not direct X11.

Evarin

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2011
The problem are basically that I can't max out the settings. With this large of a screen, you tend to really notice if textures are blurred, or aliasing of images. I ended up opting for this beast.

EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3072 MB GDDR5 PCB PCI Express 2.0 2DVI/Mini-HDMI SLI Ready Limited Lifetime Warranty Graphics Card, 03G-P3-1584-AR"
Electronics; $569.99
In Stock