Wireless signal not reaching other PC.

PJeronimo

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2005
I bought a wireless Linksys Broadband router, to allow my father to share my net connection. But after installing everything and configuring it on both PCs, the signal doesn´t seem to reach the other PC. My PC is on a basement, and the other PC is directly above, on the ground floor. Shouldn´t the signal be able to get through the concrete ceiling? Both PCs are seperated by less than 20 feet on a straight line. Our house is made of concrete and bricks, not wood. But shouldn´t the signal be strong enough to get through? They say on the manual that the signal is ok for a good 60 meters, and the ceiling/floor of the basement is only about 20 centimetres thick. I would expect it to be strong enough to go through, or go around it, but...
In case i can´t get the signal through, is there a way to boost it, so that it reaches the other PC?

riser

Illustrious
20cm thick concrete?? Roughly 8 inches thick?
That's a tough one. You might want to try moving your AP somewhere else than directly under the other PC. Maybe move it across the room to see if the PC above you was falling into a dead zone.
But 8 inches on concrete.. that's probably what the problem is. I have trouble getting a signal through 3-4 walls of just wood/metal/drywall.

The only option you have is to move that AP around. You can probably do something to strengthen the signal, but I'd side with it not working. You can't run a cable anywhere?

Even if you could just run a cable to the upstairs and put the AP there, then you might have a chance.

palmerg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
I agree with riser, that much concrete is a pretty good barrier to the 4db gain signal most Router/APs generate. Yes, moving it is good. I would place it as close to the stairway access to the basement even on the wall of the stairs if possible. They do generate signal in a spread spectrum so line of sight is not needed but getting enough signal past that block of concrete is.
Another alternaltive is adding one of <A HREF="http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=38&prid=629" target="_new">these extenders</A> but now you are adding cost with no guarentee of success. You could also add higher gain antennas to the linksys unit (if its a model that will take them). They retail for about $50.00 and get you 3-4 additional db gain. Again no gaurentee.
One thing's for sure a wire will work.

PJeronimo

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2005
I could run a cable, but the idea was to use the wi-fi, because cables are a pain. And since i bought the thing, i wanted to put it to use.
That extender would probably work. Now all i need is to find one...
Thanks for the replies.

palmerg

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2005
Did you try moving the router first? That may work too.
<A HREF="http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16833124037" target="_new">Here </A> is a range extender at newegg. At $80 its pricey.