PS2 Digital Audio Question

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Okay, I'm new to the PS2 and consoles in general. I just bought a PS2 and am
hooking it up tonight. What I'd like to know is this:

- Do I need to connect the digital audio output to my AV receiver to get
Dolby Sound?

I don't plan on using this to watch DVD movies, but I've noticed that some
of the games support Dolby Surround Sound and I just want to be sure to get
the most out of these games.

Thanks!
Ken

Ollie T wrote:

> You can get Dolby Pro Logic I and II surround without the optical
cable.

I don't believe this to be correct. In order for your reciever to
decode the surround sound signal (Dolby, DTS, etc.) it must be a
digital signal. The regular cables are only RCA which is not digital.
So in turn your reciever will not be able to decode the signal
properly. Don't get me wrong, it will attempt to create surround sound,
but its only using sound wavelength to do it.
With some units you will get a read out or some other que (light) that
the reciever is getting a true digital signal with the proper encoding.
So far the only way to get digital audio out of the PS2 (AFAIK) is with
a fiber optic cable.
Hope this helps...

<Ken> wrote in news:lcGdnfxo09eFaazfRVn-tQ@speakeasy.net:

> Okay, I'm new to the PS2 and consoles in general. I just bought a PS2
> and am hooking it up tonight. What I'd like to know is this:
>
> - Do I need to connect the digital audio output to my AV receiver to get
> Dolby Sound?

You need to connect the optical out on the PS2 to your AV receiver and
enable Dolby on the PS2 (consult the manual).

Ken wrote:
> Okay, I'm new to the PS2 and consoles in general. I just bought a PS2 and am
> hooking it up tonight. What I'd like to know is this:

> - Do I need to connect the digital audio output to my AV receiver to get
> Dolby Sound?

Yes.

> I don't plan on using this to watch DVD movies, but I've noticed that some
> of the games support Dolby Surround Sound and I just want to be sure to get
> the most out of these games.

Surround sound only works on certain games during the cutscenes.

What I ended up doing was connecting the PS2 with the stereo connectors to
my TV, and then ran an optical cable from the PS2 to my AV receiver. If
I'm feeling lazy, I'll just use my TV speakers. Otherwise, I'll turn the
TV volume down, and turn on the AV receiver for better sound, as well as
the surround sound cutscenes.

<Ken> wrote in message news:lcGdnfxo09eFaazfRVn-tQ@speakeasy.net...
> Okay, I'm new to the PS2 and consoles in general. I just bought a PS2 and
> am hooking it up tonight. What I'd like to know is this:
>
> - Do I need to connect the digital audio output to my AV receiver to get
> Dolby Sound?
>
> I don't plan on using this to watch DVD movies, but I've noticed that some
> of the games support Dolby Surround Sound and I just want to be sure to
> get the most out of these games.

You can get Dolby Pro Logic I and II surround without the optical cable.
Just make sure your receiver supports it. Some games do have cut-scenes in
DTS or 5.1 but not during game-play. You would need the optical cable to
hear that. You can see which games support what sound mode at
http://www.hdtvarcade.com

"Arcane Hayter" <arcane.hayter@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Ollie T wrote:
>
> > You can get Dolby Pro Logic I and II surround without the optical
> cable.
>
> I don't believe this to be correct. In order for your reciever to
> decode the surround sound signal (Dolby, DTS, etc.) it must be a

dolby surround decoding is done by a processor in the receiver itself, it
takes 2 channels and adds rear/center from the stereo source. it does not
require optical/coaxial input. "digital" and dts are what require
optical/coax

"Arcane Hayter" <arcane.hayter@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Ollie T wrote:
>
>> You can get Dolby Pro Logic I and II surround without the optical
> cable.
>
> I don't believe this to be correct. In order for your reciever to
> decode the surround sound signal (Dolby, DTS, etc.) it must be a
> digital signal. The regular cables are only RCA which is not digital.
> So in turn your reciever will not be able to decode the signal
> properly. Don't get me wrong, it will attempt to create surround sound,
> but its only using sound wavelength to do it.
> With some units you will get a read out or some other que (light) that
> the reciever is getting a true digital signal with the proper encoding.
> So far the only way to get digital audio out of the PS2 (AFAIK) is with
> a fiber optic cable.
> Hope this helps...

You only need regular RCA cables for Dolby Pro Logic I and II, no optical
required. Take a look at the Gamecube, no optical cable available yet many
games support PLII.

HDTV games lists and discussions
http://www.hdtvarcade.com

user

Splendid
Dec 26, 2003

Thanks for all the input. It appears there is still confusion with many
people on this issue... perhaps Sony should be a bit more explicit in their
manual!

Ken

<Ken> wrote in message news:lcGdnfxo09eFaazfRVn-tQ@speakeasy.net...
> Okay, I'm new to the PS2 and consoles in general. I just bought a PS2 and
> am hooking it up tonight. What I'd like to know is this:
>
> - Do I need to connect the digital audio output to my AV receiver to get
> Dolby Sound?
>
> I don't plan on using this to watch DVD movies, but I've noticed that some
> of the games support Dolby Surround Sound and I just want to be sure to
> get the most out of these games.
>
> Thanks!
> Ken

i say just hook up the optical out to the reciever and be done with
it... (make sure you enable the optical out in the system menu of the
PS2)

This way if there is any digital audio you get it... IIRC isnt one of
the GTA's in DTS???