Sign in with
Your question

Buying my first ever graphics card.. A little help please

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 7, 2011 8:53:05 PM

You guys are great. You helped me build my current setup (intel i-5 2500k + 8 gig ram). Now I am falling into the temptation of getting a good graphics card to top the system off.

I've been trying to play Dead Island with my GeForce 8800 GTX and it's just not happening. I went to CanYouRunIt.com and it says that my specs pass the recommended with flying colors, but I'm a little skeptical of this for a few reasons. The first thing is what it says my gfx card specs are.. Here is the list.

You Have: GeForce 8800 GTX
PASS

Required You Have
Video RAM 640 MB 4.0 GB
3D Yes Yes
Hardware T&L Yes Yes
Pixel Shader version 3.0 4.0
Vertex Shader version 3.0 4.0

I highly doubt that these specs are correct.. again I'm completely new to graphics cards but these specs don't seem to match up to the ones given on Nvidia's website.

One thing that I am doing is using some kind of converter from my psu to my gfx card in order for it to work, could this affect it's performance that drastically?

I'm looking to spend about $130 for the best card that I can get. I don't want to buy a top of the line card because I don't think it's worth the $. I'm just looking for something to run Dead Island and Battlefield 3 smoothly on medium settings. Could I get a card good enough with my budget? Any suggestions would be helpful, like if I should go nvidia or amd.

Thanks!

More about : buying graphics card

a c 104 U Graphics card
September 7, 2011 9:07:11 PM

Imo the geforce 8800 gtx should be able to handle it on low settings anyway, though not sure about dx needs actually, maybe there is a problem.
For round $130 you can have an gtx460 wich will be better or for 20 bucks or so more a HD 6870. ( i would go for the 6870 )
m
l
Related resources
a c 104 U Graphics card
September 7, 2011 9:09:07 PM

Your's has a PCI-E 2 port so no problem. Ram is no issue for a GPU.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 7, 2011 9:34:05 PM

Yeah, you should look into the mid range cards. Hd 6770 or gtx 550ti, or paying more Gtx 460 1 gb or hd 6850/6870 great cards. Why did you put a i5 2500k in a h67 mobo?
m
l
September 7, 2011 9:42:40 PM

Just a bit of info, but the new Dead Island release is extremely bug ridden at the moment. Even people with high-end video cards are experiencing frame rate issues, stuttering, tearing, pretty much all the above. I fully support getting a better card, you will be happy you did. But don't be surprised if Dead Island still has problems, until Techland fixes their unfinished release and updates code for it.

This is a nice upgrade right around your budget.......

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

m
l
September 7, 2011 9:42:57 PM

did I mention the game is worth 50 bucks so if you wanna sell it on Ebay go for it.
m
l
September 7, 2011 10:21:52 PM

Wow thanks for the replies. After a little craigslist searching I could get an ATI Radeon HD 5870 for $200. It's a little above my budget but seems like a steal at that price.

Any thoughts?

Also could my Mobo be slowing down my gfx card? One of my friends proposed that idea (I really hope not)
m
l
September 7, 2011 10:40:52 PM

Ah.. Wow Taco that looks like a much better deal than I had even found.. That might be my answer.

Thanks!!
m
l
a c 172 U Graphics card
September 7, 2011 10:59:01 PM

a 6850 or gtx460 isnt that much of an upgrade over an 8800gtx, performance increase will be noticeable, but it wont be significantly faster.
m
l
!