Hi everyone!

I need help with building my desktop. The softwares that I'll be using are

■Visual Studio 2010
■Eclipse
■Adobe Photoshop, After-effects, Illustrator and Dreamweaver

and some games like

■Virtua Tennis 4
■NFS: Hot Pursuit
■And some online games which as far as I know isn't that much demanding when it comes to video card.

My budget is around $720 but I already have a psu in mind which is Antec True Power New 750watts ($107 at my country) because next year I'll upgrade it to become a decent gaming rig. I'll OC everything but SLI/Crossfire isn't exactly on my mind since I'm not that sensitive when it comes to graphics, as long as its playable and look good I can live with it :)

I could stretch it a bit and preferably Intel-rig but I'm also open to switch to AMD.

Sounds like you only need a very basic graphics card, that saves money on the PSU and possibly the case too. Might be able to free up some cash to get an i7.

I would aim for something like this, it should be possible if you can use and old HDD and OS:

i7-2600k
8GB G.Skill RipjawsX
ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3
XFX HD 6770 1GB
Fractal Design Core 1000
Samsung DVD Burner

That comes to $650 on Newegg before shipping and a $20 rebate. If you can afford it you could try to fit a SSD in there too, I'm sure that would speed things along. Something like the Intel 310 Series 40/80GB or Crucial M4 64GB is good.

EDIT: Haha forgot the PSU, I'm too hung over -_-

I'd grab something like the Antec Earthwatts 380W at $45

kopikopi

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
Forgot to mention that I have a Toshiba external usb DVD Drive. I believe I can use it to do OS install as long as I make it to boot first, right?

I like the motherboard, does newegg allow shipments to asia? specifically the philippines.

kopikopi

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
ASRock Z68 PRO3 GEN3 isn't available here but how about this

MB: Asus P8Z68M-Pro
CPU: i5-2500K
RAM: 4GB G.Skill RipJaws 1600 DDR3
PSU: Seasonic X760, 80+ Gold
Case: Cougar Solution
HDD: Hitachi Deskstar 500GB

VGA: I'll pass on this one for now. As far as I know Virtua Tenni4, StarCraft 2 and MMORPG are playable with Intel HD3000 but not sure with Adobe software. I'm thinking between Sapphire HD 6950 2GB and Palit GTX 570.

And Cooler Master 212+ when I start to do a mild OC.

I think either of those GPU's would be massively overkill, the HD 6770 is fine for those games and it means you won't have to play on integrated graphics for a while.

The PSU is also overkill, it's a nice PSU but expensive. Also 760W is way more than you need.

The motherboard also looks a bit overkill, I'd get a cheaper Z68 board.

I would save money here and spend it where it will benefit you. Perhaps you would consider the i7 overkill but it would speed things along. 8GB RAM though is a no brainer, RAM is cheap and most of those programs are RAM hungry.

kopikopi

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
The motherboard do have more feature that I'll need but its the only Z68 motherboard that I could find here that has 4 memory slots. Ram is actually not a problem as I'll be adding another 2 or 3 sticks of 4GB.

And how much watts will I ever need if I do a major OC on the CPU and GPU?

Yup, I'm considering the i7-2600K but that'll really stretch my budget so it'll take time but I'm willing though.

Christmas is coming so I need to save on it first :)

You don't need 4 slots, just get 2x4GB imo.

On my build I'd get 450W+ for major overclocks.

The money you could save on a cheaper PSU, motherboard and GPU will be more than enough for this. I think it will be worth it too to be honest.

Which site are you using for pricing? Also, do you need to factor a hard drive in the cost?