Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Radeon 6870 not recongized

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 7, 2011 10:10:13 PM

Hello, this Radeon 6870 isn't working properly. I am 100% positive that the card is seated properly, and that the PCI-E connectors are in. I've made sure that the BIOS loads PCI-E graphics first instead of Intel HD. The card's fans will spin when the computer turns on, and they'll continue to do so even when in Windows. Now, I cannot get the damn drivers to install. I've installed and uninstalled about 5 different types of the Catalyst software, and every time there is no entry for the start menu and nothing pops up after a restart. I uninstalled the Intel HD drivers, and yet I'm still getting nothing. Windows doesn't seem to know the card name either. I guess it knows that something is in the slot but it is treating it as a standard VGA adapter. I don't know what else I can do.

Someone help, I don't want to have to deal with taking back the card. Is it dead or something?
Mobo is the Asus P8Z68-VLX, processor is the Intel i5 2500k.

More about : radeon 6870 recongized

November 4, 2011 2:29:23 PM

Did you ever get it working? I'm seeing the exact same symptoms with my Diamond 6870 on a new motherboard (ASRock Z68 Extreme4).
Score
November 4, 2011 9:41:43 PM

What brand is your power supply and how many watts does it have?

Also which 6870 did you get?
Score
Related resources
November 5, 2011 12:51:59 AM

Hey. I have a Corsair HX 850, so plenty of power. The card is a Diamond. I've had it for about a year and was using it successfully on my old motherboard.

Score
November 27, 2011 3:27:22 PM

In case anybody's interested, I did an extensive amount of debugging and concluded there was incompatibility between my motherboard and the 6870. I switched from the ASRock to a Gigabyte Z68XP-UD4 and haven't had any troubles.
Score
!