Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Upgraded some parts, now it won't boot up.

Last response: in Systems
November 5, 2011 3:41:10 PM

Disclaimer: I am not a computer whiz, so it is very possible this is user error and/or parts incompatibility.

Quick background: I built an IDE computer years ago. I just replaced the motherboard, CPU and RAM but kept everything else with the intention of upgrading later. The new motherboard is SATA but there is 1 IDE plug on it.

Now for the reason I am posting here: I can power up and get into BIOS and that is all. When I try to boot up I get this message:

"We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.
If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders, choose Last Known
Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.
If a previous startup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or Reset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what
caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.
Safe Mode
Safe Mode with Networking
Safe Mode with Command Prompt
Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)
Start Windows Normally
Use the up and down arrow keys to move the highlight to your choice.
Seconds until Windows starts: 30"

I've tried safe mode, last known good configuration and start windows normally but it always goes back to the same screen when it restarts. I've put the new motherboard's driver disc, XP install disc and XP SP2 upgrade disc in my burner drive but none of them load. I have 40 and 80 wire IDE cables and have tried every combination of them and their connectors, both with and without the DVD drive and it will not go past that apology screen.
If I use 1 80 wire cable to both drives BIOS sees the HD as Master and DVD as Slave. My old computer used an 80 wire for the HD and a 40 for the DVD but as stated earlier I only have 1 IDE plug on my new board.

So, now what? Could my new motherboard be defective? I have no idea how to figure that out. Is the fact that I'm using ancient IDE items on a new SATA board be causing a conflict? I have no problem upgrading to new drives, I was just hoping to use these until funds are more in my favor.

My new parts are:
motherboard MSI 880GM-E43 880G R
cpu AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz
ram G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

Old drives are LG DVD burner, ExcelStor Technology J8160 hard drive

I put my old system back together and it is working, that is how I'm typing this right now. I also burned some discs, so I know both drives and the cables are functional.

I would appreciate any help I can get with this. My work hours are screwy so it may take a while for me to try something or reply to a post but I will acknowledge everything. Thanks in advance.

More about : upgraded parts boot

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
November 6, 2011 1:30:32 AM

ok are you using the old installation of windows to run the new harware, or did you start with a clean (formated) hard drive? I would try to change the boot order and boot from your cd/dvd instead of your old harddrive.

mac
November 6, 2011 7:26:46 PM

I was trying to use the old one but eventually did exactly what you suggested: format/change boot order/reinstall. Thanks!
m
l
November 6, 2011 7:26:52 PM

Best answer selected by Beachy69.
m
l
!