Pci express question

bestlink101

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
My motherboard goes to x8 mode if i put two graphics cards that run at x16. if i put one gpu that runs at x16 and one ssd that runs at x4 will it slows down my performance? I do not have any x4 slot except a x16 slot that downthrottles with x16 sli/crossfire. I will get the ssd for the 9 hundred and something transfer rate! But if it slows down gpu performance i will not, so will it slow down the gpu and ssd performance.

I have been told by a tech support person at Evga that there is very little difference between 16x and 8x , there is a difference but it is not noticeable to the average person. On the SSD are you taslking about the RevoDrive? What MB do you have? Nothing will happen to the SSD and the gpu will already be at x8 if in sli and it will not go lower so you would be fine. I would know more if you post the MB.

holdingholder

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
Once you put anything in that other pci express slot both will be throttled down to 8x speed, it doesn't matter what type of device you put in the slots your motherboard only has 16 lanes of pci express in total and putting anything in the second slot will result in your motherboard defaulting to 8x/8x. Even though, you probably won't notice any real performance decrease.

bestlink101

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011

GA-Z68X-UD3-B3