Best CPU configuration for VMWARE

jeevanbobba

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Hello,
i am looking for best configuration for VMWARE ESXi 5 which support for meany Virtual machines

i am looking to install sharepoint2010 cluster, Storage using Openfiler or freenas, Active directory configuration

plesase suggest me best configuration

which one is good AMD or INTEL
my plan was to buy
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition Processor, 880 motherboard
with 16GB of memory, 1 tb HDD

Please suggest me with best configuration

For highly threaded work that can use six cores, AMD Phenom II is probably better for low budget systems and Intel is better for mid-high budgets.

Need to realize that Intel will use less power, but for six threaded performance, AMD wins in the sub $300 USD market. The cheapest Intel CPUs that competes in highly threaded performance would be the i7s and they aren't really cheap. However, AMD has no competition against i7s and i7s aren't too expensive for their performance.

If you want to spend less than $200 on the CPU then the 6 core Phenom IIs are the best option, if you want to spend around $200 then the FX-8120 is the best option, and if you want to spend around $300 then the i7-2600/2600K is the best option.

If you were willing to spend even more than $300 then you should look at the i7-3930K, Xeons, and Opterons.

I have no idea what performance level you need nor how much RAM you need, but that's a run-down of the processors by price and performance for highly threaded work.

The i7-2600K is often the same price as the non k version so you might as well get the k even if you don't overclock. They perform identically without an overclock anyway so it's not a problem.

Non k 2600 offers more vitualization options, and will probably do much better than the 2600k in vmware.