Cheap 600w+ Power Supply

m82a1fx

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2012
Hi i'm trying to find a good cheap power supply for my PC build. I have ran a few power supply calculators and it says i need about 550w to run everything that i want. I right now have selected and i5 2500k processor, GTX 550 ti GPU, 8 Gb of ddr3 ram. I will be doing duel GPU later on so i need about 600w. I would like a modular one and hopefully under $60. I know i probably cant get one that cheap that's good quality so what do i need to spend(i'm on a tight budget). The original power supply that i had was this but everyone is saying don't get it cuz it sucks. What do you think?

andrewcarr

Distinguished
The Silverstone Strider Essential 600W is the same unit as the OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W. The differences between them in terms of functionality, besides modularity, are the MXSP 600w only having two PCIe connectors and having shorter cables (45cm vs 50/55cm).

I would have called this the best non-modular PSU for the price (below $60, after rebate):
XFX Pro 550W Core Edition 80Plus Bronze $70 ($15 rebate, $6 shipping)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207013
Actually has 528W on it's 12V rail vs 504W on the SST-ST60-EF / MXSP 600w.
The 650W version would also be acceptable.

This is the best PSU below $100:
Rosewill Capstone 650W 80Plus Gold $90 (10% off promo code - ends today)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182071

Another good option:
NZXT Hale82 650W 80Plus Bronze Modular $100 ($30 rebate, $2 shipping)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817116014
Fan spins above 1600RPM when under a 400W load.

I hate multi 12 volt rail supplies as they don't do anything at all useful, just cause extra problems and would therefore avoid the seasonic 620w, especially since it looks like the 12V is rated at 570w. But those are more personal issues, and shouldn't REALLY diswsy you. Its a good price and brand and will be plenty for 550ti SLI. I just like to dream if we all stop buying these types of designs they'll stop making them, hence my grumbling :)

on a side note you don't need to spend as much as that rosewill, I just want to link a review of the Capstone series as rosewill seems to have stepped up their PSU game. I was expecting to find poor ratings for it from my own rosewill PSU experience and was.very pleasantly surprised.
www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story5&reid=266

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
Except that the higher the wattage, the better cause for a multirail system... even the XFX Easyrail becomes a multirail at the higher end of the line.

The Capstone is a great unit. I have one for one of my systems and love it. I will probably be replacing two other units with Capstones when I get around to upgrading them.

In my experience its the opposite. Unless a PSU has 2 completely separate 12 volt sources (almost none do, except a few high end expensive servers) multirail supplies are useless. They all connect to the same source, they just have current limiters on chains of wires, and the only point to that was to not pull enough power to burn the wire insulation.

The 2.2 ATX12v specs listed the Max as 20 amps which is right for the wire gauge. Because of GPU power requirements and the cost of current limiting circuitry they already go past this, like that seasonic, with groups of wires.the theory being the load per wire will be reasonable because the components on each wire group arent on one singlewire. But if you Daisy chained off it (or had a fault) you could pull enough power through one wire and still burn it without the limiter kicking in, so the safety standard part is meaningless.

You wouldn't do that of course and in the case of a short the actual 12 volt supply current limiter would shut it down before the wire burned. again the rail limiter is unnecessary. add in the hassle of balancing loads and the fact that the 2.3 specs removed this outdated safety requirement entirely, and there is no reason to still make them.

All of this "safety" stuff is easily done simply by not Daisy chaining a ton of stuff from the source, and having the highcurrent stuff (gpus, CPU) have enough connections going straight to the source. it has its own over current protection already.

The thing that really grinds my gears is marketing departments slapping lables like SLI/Crossfire ready and having "rail" races, and having a 12V 40A source but advertising it as 3 12V 20A rails. and even saying its a 650W PSU. till you look at the label and see its 500W on the 12V and they are counting 125W on 5V and adding other rails. I find the whole thing distasteful/deceitful.

chosen12k6

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2012

M82A1FX,

although it would slightly help you know your mobo i would suggest this psu Antec Green Energy-Efficient Power Supply EA500D its 500w but it should definitely handle the job and if not at least you could resell or save for another build. Going with a cheap 600w psu at $60 is highly risky in my opinion because they tend to market a 430w psu as a 600w when its really not bc of how it was built. Cept for the crossfire future upgrade you speak of i would say since your on a tight budget now to get the Antec and upgrade the psu later.
Also why dual gpu with a tight budget get a better graph card if thats the case also what is this build for ex. gaming, photo editing etc.

randomkid

Distinguished

You already have the RAIDMAX HYBRID 2 RX-630SS 630W ATX12V V2.2/ EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Modular Modular LED Power Supply. Is it broken?