Computer Shuts itself down

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Graphics Cards
  • Computer
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
November 5, 2011 5:11:21 PM

So a year and a half ago i built a computer and it worked fine for awhile. then i tried to install a 2nd antivirus program and then it all went to hell. my video card stopped working and i just gave up on it. yesterday i bought a new video card and installed it. it would not display until i added 2 screws into the mobo (an act of desperation). so finally after it started to display, the system would shut itself down after a couple minutes. if you tried to start it right after it shut down, then it would shut down right away. sometimes it actually stays stable until you go to restart windows, then it shuts itself off again. I greatly appreciate any input. Also my on board sound isn't being recognized.

System:

Case: Antec 900
Mobo: Asus p5n-d
Video Card: Saphire Radeon hd 6570
CPU: Intel Core 2 duo 2.2
PSU: cooler master 600w
Ram: 2.5 gigs (have tried switching out ram sticks)

More about : computer shuts

Best solution

November 5, 2011 10:15:18 PM

I am no expert but those are sure signs of a bad motherboard on laptops. It also sounds like it might be overheating, but if you or anyone else has not opened the case then this is not likely the problem. I would remove the CPU's heatsink and fan the CPU then clean and install fresh thermal paste.

The best way to test a motherboard without spare parts is to detach everything, except for CPU( and cooling) and RAM and leave it on for a bit. Turn it off and on several times. This would not rule out a bad PSU though.
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
November 5, 2011 10:57:35 PM

Not enough clear info.

The PC is 1 1/2 years old and worked for a while. 1 1/4 years? or what?

You gave up on it. For a while? How long was it idle?

What made you think adding two screws into the motherboard would help? How mayy screws were missing? Still are missing? Or were these extra screws really extra screws?

Without the screws it "would not display". Nothing at all? Not BIOS load screen?

After the screwing, it started to display. Display what? Did it get into Windows (presuming that's the OS you are using)?
m
l
Related resources
November 5, 2011 11:52:11 PM

Twoboxer said:
Not enough clear info.

The PC is 1 1/2 years old and worked for a while. 1 1/4 years? or what?

You gave up on it. For a while? How long was it idle?

What made you think adding two screws into the motherboard would help? How mayy screws were missing? Still are missing? Or were these extra screws really extra screws?

Without the screws it "would not display". Nothing at all? Not BIOS load screen?

After the screwing, it started to display. Display what? Did it get into Windows (presuming that's the OS you are using)?

It is 1 1/2 years old. it has been sitting under my desk for a year. i added the screws because i thought it might complete a circuit somewhere. 2 screws were missing. my screen would just be black, and then it finally worked after the screws and i was able to get into windows until it shut off. i just tried booting again a few times and now it shuts off
alot sooner. maybe 10 seconds in.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2011 12:10:20 AM

I assume you mean it has been unused for a year. If it was not plugged in, or if the psu was turned off, you could have (small chance) a bad CMOS battery.

In any case, try clearing CMOS. Unplug, remove batter from mobo, press case power on a few times, wait 5 minutes, restore/replace battery, plug into wall.

Power on and go directly into BIOS, load defaults, save, and exit into Windows.

If the PC doesn't stay on . . . I'm still guessing PSU.

What made you think to go back in after one year and insert two screws? I'm looking for some clues here that might indicate something other than psu.

When you looked inside, anything else look "wrong"? Lots of caked dust, rodent excrement, stains, anything at all?

One more thought: Remove side panel. Watch the cpu cooler fan when you press "Power On". Does it spin?
m
l
November 6, 2011 12:30:09 AM

Update: I ran the pc bare and it runs without any problems. but when i add the video card it shuts down. heres the thing though, i bought a new card yesterday and it still shuts down. I have 2 pci-e slots and it does it in both slots.
m
l
November 6, 2011 12:35:42 AM

Twoboxer said:
I assume you mean it has been unused for a year. If it was not plugged in, or if the psu was turned off, you could have (small chance) a bad CMOS battery.

In any case, try clearing CMOS. Unplug, remove batter from mobo, press case power on a few times, wait 5 minutes, restore/replace battery, plug into wall.

Power on and go directly into BIOS, load defaults, save, and exit into Windows.

If the PC doesn't stay on . . . I'm still guessing PSU.

What made you think to go back in after one year and insert two screws? I'm looking for some clues here that might indicate something other than psu.

When you looked inside, anything else look "wrong"? Lots of caked dust, rodent excrement, stains, anything at all?

One more thought: Remove side panel. Watch the cpu cooler fan when you press "Power On". Does it spin?

i went back to fix my desktop because i was tired of hooking and unhooking my laptop up to my monitor and i just happened to notice the 2 screws missing. there was alot of dust but bestbuy cleaned it out. they hooked it up there and it ran fine, but they didnt try to restart it. perhaps the psu isnt strong enough? newegg says i only need 350 watts, i have 600.
m
l
November 6, 2011 12:36:46 AM

and other than the screws nothing else looks odd. and all fans spin.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a b U Graphics card
November 6, 2011 1:35:16 AM

If they didn't try to "restart it" at Best Buy, how can you say it ran fine?

Are you saying it runsOK on the onboard graphics? But doesn't run if youinsert a video card?
m
l
November 6, 2011 2:01:41 AM

Twoboxer said:

Are you saying it runsOK on the onboard graphics? But doesn't run if youinsert a video card?

Nevermind Mr. 20 questions. Your kinda being a dick.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 373 U Graphics card
November 6, 2011 2:15:22 AM

Twoboxer said:

I took it to mean it starts fine ....cold boot ...... but doesn't work after a warm boot.

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
a c 373 U Graphics card
November 6, 2011 2:19:53 AM

I'm not worried about two screws missing .... I'm worried about where the original two screws went and what they may be shorting.

Go into BIOS and reset everything to defaults.

Im confused about 2.5 gigs of RAM .... How many sticks of what size and how are they arranged ? Are the arranged in the manner proscribed by the MoBo manual ?
m
l
November 12, 2011 11:04:21 PM

I got my computer to work last night and it has been on for a full 24 hours. i have restarted it with no problems. the only other thing i did was instead of plugging my molex connectors for my fans 2 sets of 2 together, i plugged all 4 piggybacked to each other. after that everything worked. weird i know.
m
l
November 13, 2011 2:18:06 AM

Best answer selected by hilyar007.
m
l