Sign in with
Your question

Is amd quad core better than i5

Last response: in CPUs
February 5, 2012 4:22:53 PM

Hello,
I have an AMD Phenom II P960 quad core with 5400 rpm HD and 4GB ram. I do mostly web based stuff with several things going on at once. Will switching to I5 dual 2450M processor with 6GB ram be faster?

More about : amd quad core

a b à CPUs
February 5, 2012 4:44:26 PM

Hi :) 

Not much faster considering the cost....not worth it...

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
a c 152 à CPUs
a b À AMD
February 5, 2012 4:51:18 PM

There really is no AMD CPU right now that is as fast as or faster then the Intel I Core processors right now.
m
l
Related resources
February 5, 2012 5:05:20 PM

would not recommend to upgrade to intel since you are doing web stuff mostly.
you will need a new motherboard too if you switch to intel.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 5, 2012 5:23:21 PM

rds1220 said:
There really is no AMD CPU right now that is as fast as or faster then the Intel I Core processors right now.

But a quad phenom II will be faster than a dual i5 in many situations. Multitasking suits a quad, but with web browsing you won't notice the difference.

For general use, the most important speed factor is the storage because this affects boot and application launch times. An SSD upgrade would have a transformative impact on your computer but it's an expensive upgrade.
m
l
February 5, 2012 5:38:27 PM

I'd reccommend buying an SSD rather than upgrading your motherboard and CPU.

If you buy a 64GB SSD, that will be more than enough for the OS, all your programs and a few files if you wish.

You can keep your HDD, and use that for your main file storage, music, films etc.

You can pick up a 64GB SSD for about £80/$100, about a third of the price of a new CPU/Mobo and the difference in speed you will notice will be incredible.
m
l
February 5, 2012 5:48:21 PM

Since these are notebook procs, I imagine you're talking about buying a new laptop or not.

I'd go with not. You can almost assuredly switch out the existing HDD for an SSD for far cheaper than a whole new unit. That said, you have to question performance vs. capacity vs. price (SSDs are usually much smaller than HDDs capacity wise).
m
l
!