Not enough RAM for UT?

G

Hey fellas,
I bought Unreal Tournament this week (yeah I know, it's about f****** time!) and my system hangs for about 10 seconds every once in a while and finally freezes after a couple of hours. Nothing left to do then but hit the reset button. What could be the problem? I figured RAM could be it.
I've got a P3 600 (Katmai) running Win2k on 128Mb PC100 CAS3 along with a GF2 MX (Detonator 3) and DirectX 8.
I'm expecting a new RAM module soon (Crucial 256Mb PC133 Cas2). I'm kind of hoping this will solve the problem.
Thanks for your help and input.

- Better go Green than Blue!

Arrow

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
128mb should be adequate RAM for UT.

Rob
Please visit <b><A HREF="http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048" target="_new">http://www.ncix.com/shop/index.cfm?affiliateid=319048</A></b>

G

Could be overheating, Quake causes them to grunt quite a bit

G

-"128mb should be adequate RAM for UT."

Even under Windows 2000?

The red HDD Led is ON when the system hangs and the HDD is working as hell.

G

It could be the mobo your using i had the same problem on mine. At first i thought it was the memory.. i bought new but the problems persisted (random freeze and hanging). Turned out that my mobo (DFI) needed a bios update to correctly recognize the KATMAI p3 600 any other p3 would have worked right away.
So check your manual and/ or see if you need to upgrade / patch your bios..
Off course this was my particular case. i know have 256 rAM instead off the initial 128mb i had and it works perfectly now.. no more hangs..
Also th het could be an issue .. these katmai tend to run a little hot. If you have the possibility to check the cpu temp. i would reccomend you do. The Katmai is known to run a tad hot in full operation. Also the fault i am talking abou only occurred in UT and other demanding 3d games like quake 3

BTW are any of the people here in an ut Clan looking for a clanmatch ?
lemme know so we can set it up sometime?
I`m in clan F$F... F$F_Drunk_bastard.. You can find us in irc:
irc.quakenet.org #F$F

dont flame me fo the above.. this is the first and last time i will do this just out of curiousity . Im not trying to spam . Nor will i reenter above in another message.

Hey man i dont know .. i just think i do !!

G

I doubt the problem is the mobo. I flashed the BIOS of my P2B to v1012 when I updated to the P3-600 Katmai last year and it has proven quite stable and reliable.

I'm running demanding apps (3Ds) with the case open.
When touching the heatsink, it doesn't seem to me like it's running too hot. I checked the Power Manager of the BIOS to see if the fan was running slow and it wasn't. It still running full speed at 5000rpm (still according to Power Manager).

I'm now waiting for my new Crucial 256Mb PC133 CL2 module (expected this week) to see what happens.

G

Hey shazam,
I had exact same problem with UT.Eventually after countless re-installs I found out it was DX8 having an attitude with UT.The good news is though that EPIC (I believe)have just released a fix addressing the DX8/UT compatability issue.
Happy fraggin'
:)
TTM.

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Here is a story for you, but stay with me, it will all make sense in the end.

My friend got a SB Live X-gamer. It comes with UT. He has an A7V and a Duron at 850, 128 MB Crucial Ram, and Windows Me and a GeForce2 MX with all the right drivers. I know all this because I put it all together for him and it is almost identical to my system. I have never had a problem with my system and UT.
Anyway, when he put on UT, he had frequent stuttering and hangups. And like you said, it always corresponded to the HD light coming on. I thought it was a ram problem. Tried adding some of my ram temporarily, tried both DX7 and DX8, and tried different versions of VIA drivers and different versions of Det3 drivers. Nothing seemed to help.

Then one day, we uninstalled his version of UT and put on my version of UT which I believe was the original and the stuttering when away. Then later, we put on the Game of the Year Edition and it still remained stutter free. I firmly believe that it was the version of UT that we originally tried that caused the problem.

My advise to you would be to find some patches to update your version of UT or if possible, try and find a lower version and put that on. Or exchange your version for the Game of the Year Edition.
If you are using the GOTY edition, then I don't know what to tell you.

I hope this helps.

*Warning*
This was posted solely to increase my post count and may not contain any relevant info

G

What you said all made sense, but I should have told you earlier that I am running the GOTY version with the 436 patch downloaded from the UT site. So I guess the version of UT had nothing to do with it, well, for me that is.

I got a brand new 256Mb PC133 CL2 RAM module from Crucial yesterday and I put that in my machine and ran UT flawlessly for several hours. So I guess RAM really was the problem. During that play time, the system never hung, not even for a fraction of a second. The red HDD led never came on (at least I never noticed it). Problem solved!

My config is the following :
P3-600 (Katmai)
GF2MX (Det3)
256Mb PC133 CAS222 Crucial
Win2K
DirectX 8

Thanx to all for your replies!

TRENDING THREADS