Sign in with
Your question
Solved

No Prompt to install OS

Last response: in Motherboards
December 9, 2012 6:18:24 AM

I've recently built a computer using a AsRock z77 extreme 6 mobo and am having a problem I've never seen before:

-When I boot, where the computer normally prompts you to install an os (and says something like "to install an OS insert disk"), there is just a blank screen with the _ flashing in the upper left hand corner of the screen. I can get into the bios, and I have tried inserting the cd with the os install package, doesn't matter - the computer will just go to that blank screen and sit there.

Any ideas as to what is going on?

More about : prompt install

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
December 9, 2012 7:36:41 AM

The flashing _ is telling you the OS is not installed. Have you selected the DVD drive as the boot drive? It seems like to me the bios is trying to boot from the HDD by default and there is nothing on it. I know on my MSI 890FXA-GD70 I can press F11 during the post and I will get a menu of all my devices and then I can choose witch one I want to boot from. Have never used AsRock but I am sure there is a way to do the same thing on it.

On my MSI if I try to boot from a drive that is not bootable all I will get is a blinking _ so that is what I think is going on with yours.
December 10, 2012 1:28:03 AM

Yeah, seems like that was it- the simple stuff. Guess I took it for granted that I already made the bios change. Thanks.
m
l
Related resources
December 10, 2012 1:28:18 AM

Best answer selected by boddole.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 11, 2012 6:18:54 PM

boddole said:
Yeah, seems like that was it- the simple stuff. Guess I took it for granted that I already made the bios change. Thanks.

Glad I could help and that you got it solved.
m
l
!