Sandy Bridge price drop?

goga44

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
How much would the sandybridge prices go down? I think I will be wating untill april to buy my sandybridge because from my guess it will be very cheap. Well im not sure which prosesor was hot before sandybridge so if u guys know, do u remmeber how cheap they became when SB came out? also im somewhat worried that they might go out of sale after a while, or maybe even before the release of IB, so again what happened at the release of SB? and maybe just maybe someone has some inside info lol

look to the price drop in the high end gpu's now that the 79XX are here. Not much happening. The retailers hav brought stock at a price, they will shift as much as possible at thier normal price. IVB will have a premium when new, then once sb is sold out or competition forces it prices will come down.

rage33

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
There is no reason for Intel to drop the price unfortunately, not really a lot of competition in the high end CPU market right now, and probably not in the future.

goga44

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
ok heres a question, Intel core i7 SandyBridge or i5 IvyBridge? Mainly for gaming, but might need to become good all round

it will have taken about 6 months to drop, are you willing to wait only to find that there is no stock and you have to buy ivb anyway.

rage33

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
I'd wait an see how much better the i5 IB is compared to the i5 SB, for gaming the i5 series has proved dominate in gaming. I'm not sure how much better the IB will be over SB.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

Just wanted to say that the word dominate is a little misleading. The i5 is not the most dominate cpu out there. The 2600k is better and will overclock higher in general. In some games ht will give problems but that can be turned off.

I think what you mean is the i5 is the best cpu when price is a factor.

rage33

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010

I suppose, specifically: gaming to price to performance the i5 dominates MOST chips. Although in real world gaming (specifically) the difference between i5 and i7 wouldn't be very noticeable IMO...... lol

cbrunnem

Distinguished

Haha yes your right i suppose. It looks like i was being a little anal that day too lol.

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009

Unfortunately Intel doesn't follow the same laws of economy that corporations that face competition do. The demand for their previous generation chipsets and processors unequivocally decline with the introduction of newer components. However the supply is typically still very high initially. This would indicate that price should fall, however it does not. Look at cpus today that are still purchasable retail from prior generations. The i5-750 didn't drop in price when 1155 was introduced. it's just as expensive today as it was two years ago.

We're also watching as nVidia holds its ground in the gpu wars. The 7970 and especially the 7950 should have increased supply of upper-tier gpus thus creating a demand vacuum for the 580. Yet its price has remained rock solid. The 570 isn't dropping either.

The fact that AMD felt as though they could release a card at the $550 pricepoint should tell you all you need to know about the pc-part manufacturing process: When the competition is limited to a small easily controllable group, then price variation will be limited as well.

sac_cb

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Sorry to bring the subject on again, but let me take another route, please.

The most likely reason for a sb price drop would be a real difference in value of the products.

So, 5 to 15% raw processing power matter for the mainstream buyer,when the alternative dominates the market today without the prospect of losing ground?

One scenario for such a reduction could involve the possibility of integrated pci-e 3.0 prove to be significant in some way, something that experts are still afraid to at least guess...

a4mula

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
There's no need to guess at what pci-e 3.0 will utilize. Next generation SSDs. As it stands today SATA 6Gb/s has already been saturated by drives like the Revo. We're about to see a format war between Thunderbolt and SATA Express and guess what, they'll both utilize pci-e 3.0 lanes.

This really has nothing to do with pricing however. The bottom line is that Intel has never shown a propensity to drop their prices, it's not going to happen this time around either. As a matter of fact Intel does the exact opposite. They take current chips, they bump their multiplier and then sell them as rebranded higher end chips for pure profit. Look at the 2700K. This go around has seen something even more underhanded, it's taken the chips that had bad apus and rebranded them as models like the 2550K.

Nobody is suprised by this, it's how Intel has always operated.