MSI z77A-G43 vs AsRock Extreme4 Z77

brbk

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
I am building a gaming rig and I am having difficulty deciding between the above motherboards.

Info: The MSI is about $100 cheaper for me than the asrock due to where I live.

I want to know which one you think I should buy, if the MSI will detriment performance and the pros and cons of each one.

My other components will be:

-CPU:Intel i5-3570k 3.4hgz (ivy bridge)
-GPU:EVGA GTX660 2GB SC
-Case:Antec 200 V2, black, no PSU-R570, ATX
-Network Adapter: D-Link DWA-566 Wireless N300
-RAM: Corsair XMS3 2x4gb DDR3-1600mhz Desktop Memory

P.S ask if you need more info

If you want the option of running two graphics cards in SLI, only the Asrock board will do. The Asrock board may overclock better, but probably not by much.

With such a big price gap, I'd generally recommend the MSI board.

Do note that MSIs closest equivalent of the Asrock Z77 Extreme4 is the MSI Z77A-G45.

brbk

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
Not running SLI and haven't thought about OC'ing anything so...

But I'd still like a couple more opinions

By saying that maybe the G43 vs G45. G45 is about $50 more

Don't forget. H77 motherboards CAN NOT overclock the 3570k. If you want to overclock you must buy the Z77 motherboard. I linked a MSI Z77 G43 that can be overclocked.
http://www.wootware.co.za/msi-z77a-g43-lga-1155-atx-intel-z77-desktop-motherboard.html

For the price, it looks good. You will get a good overclock out of it. Just play with the overclock and you'll be happy. The Z77 Extreme 4 is really expensive where you live.

You are buying a 500W PSU, right?

It says Z77 in the title. That board is the one he was looking at.

PS: OP, remember to get a decent cooler for the CPU. Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo for example.

brbk

Honorable
Dec 5, 2012
I was planning on getting that cooler, exact model. However, is it necessary to get that instead of the stock. I have never OC'd and don't know the technicalities of it so I probably won't 'risk' it. But I guess that's another thread :p

mystilez

Honorable
Sep 27, 2012

Sorry for the Late Comment Bbrk... but MSI g43 is a horrible overclocking board... I have the same set up as you but different brands
I5 3570k (OC to 4.0 ghz @ 1.104v) <- voltage not really sure due to MSI BIOS not registering correctly which is the problem for overclockers with this board.
Gigabyte 660ti 2gb, 750 modular psu, x40 kraken nzxt cooler. I too am a beginner overclockers but this board is a horrible board to start with. Asrock does have the better BIOS/UEFI set up than MSI and overclocking is something you should learn especially with the set up you have or your wasting its potential. there is a thread here by Mr. Face easy step by step set up only thing is you dont need to reinstall windows.