Sign in with
Your question

Slight graphics hiccup?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 8, 2011 8:10:20 AM

Hello all, thank you for any advice on my issue.

I just built a new system, and I rather like it a lot. The issue i'm seeing is when I play games, I get a slight hiccup often.
I run with FRAPS going to check fps rates and see if they drop during a hiccup, and my frames don't drop. I recently bought Dead Island to play and i'm getting 100-150 fps, but at random times it seems to lag slightly (frames stay the same) and it goes back to normal fluent play. I'm rather picky about smoothness so it irritates me a bit. :(  It happens in every game that i play. WoW, Black Ops, League of Legends (sometimes), Dead Island. Everything is on max settings and my resolution is 1920x1080 60hz. I am on SATA 2 still, and have not changed them to SATA3 yet.. if that is a possible issue. Or am I just crazy and seeing things?

My specs are:
Win 7 64bit
intel i7 950
EVGA X58 FTW3 motherboard
2 EVGA 560ti SLI
6 gigs Corsair Dominator
AX750w corsair (I believe it's gold)
1 TB HDD with a 64gig SSD. Operating system is on the HDD, not SSD.
Everything is stock, no overclocking

WoW is on the SSD and Dead Island is on HDD. They both hiccup.

My nvidia drivers randomly also disappear, so I have to re install them. (this issue continued after a clean reformat) I posted this particular drivers issue on nvidia forums and didn't get any help.

Thanks again for any assistance provided! :D 

More about : slight graphics hiccup

a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2011 8:39:07 AM

I suspect antivirus or other background app. What apps load up with windows? Skype can be a b*tch too.

I reckon that your "hiccup" is another app very briefly putting great load on your CPU, interrupting your game.

More info would help.
m
l
September 8, 2011 8:46:52 AM

I use AVAST anti virus, and for background apps I use skype a lot, Steam is running, FRAPS, Chrome, Realtek HD audio manager, desktop window manager, csrss (not sure what it is), nvvscv (not sure), nvxdsync (assuming nvidia something)

m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2011 9:48:48 AM

There seems to be a bottleneck in the system someplace.......
Another possibility could be when you press too many keys too fast..... it's got something to do with that too , maybe.
Also windows backing up background programs could cause it.
Try installing an earlier version of the Nvidia drivers and see if they keep disappearing too.
Try disabling a few of the programs running in the background and see if it still gives the lags.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2011 6:27:10 AM

I would try just exiting skype when you play a game. See if it makes any difference. What they don't tell you about skype is that it works like a P2P platform. So even when you are not actually talking to anyone, it can grab a whole bunch of your bandwidth and help "manage" other peoples calls.

Especially bad if you are palying an online game. But can hog CPU time too. Again, most people don't notice it in general use, but when you need your PC to run something intense it is really easy to see.
m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 9, 2011 6:52:26 AM

i honestly think even the best rigs will experience a hiccup/fps drop every now and then. It is the nature of PC gaming. Unfortunately its not like a console where it only has the processes it needs running, a whole lot of crap is going on in the background with windows processes.
m
l
September 9, 2011 9:11:45 AM

I tried turning off skype and other programs and none of it helped, could this be a bottleneck of some sorts? Or maybe a one of my 560s going out? One thing in WoW was turn Vsync on and it seemed to help a small bit.. not sure if its relate-able to anything.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
September 9, 2011 9:26:21 AM

Err..... Are the HDD's connected to the SATAIII Ports.....
If So, Try connecting them to the SATAII ports and check again
m
l
September 9, 2011 9:44:10 AM

My HDD and SSD are both SATA2 right now, i'll try them in SATA3.
m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
a b Ý World of Warcraft
September 9, 2011 10:49:48 AM

even something like automatic updates for windows and various other programs can cause problems, a particularly bad one is Itunes, i wish my GF never installed it on my PC, it pops up wanting an update at the worst time.
m
l
!