How to Overclock my AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 4000+

aeonz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2012
Hello,

I was wondering if anyone knows about this Processor and what are it's capabilities in Overclocking it. I've managed to go into the Bios and Overclock it from 2.4Ghz to 2.6Ghz. I was maybe thinking up 2.7 or 2.8Ghz if possible?

Computer Spec:
Cpu: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 4000+ 2.4Ghz - 2.6Ghz
Motherboard: A8N-SLI Premium Motherboard
Ram Installed: 4 Gigs
Software: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

I'm not sure how to really spec my computer only what I know above :\ But would really appreciate it a lot if I can get somewhat of a help in hand.

Maxor1

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
Ok you have an older single core 64 bit processor, that amd rates as safe up to 72c. As far as I know they didn't make a black edition of that cpu so you are only sort of unlocked. I haven't personally worked with that particular CPU but have worked with others in the Athlon series as long as you have a good cooler on it you should be in theory able to get around 2.9 to 3.0 with air cooling unless you are in a warm environment.

Oh here is the links to your processor specs. http://products.amd.com/(S(4gpleyvxgj44vm45jejotq45))/pages/DesktopCPUDetail.aspx?id=60

locki433

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2012
I just overclocked my opteron 175 on the same motherboard. Got from 2.2 up to 2.8, but was running a little hot so backed it down to 2.65 and running like a champ. What core is it running?

Aeonz,

If you're still interested in overclocking your current CPU higher, then you'll most certainly need to get an aftermarket CPU cooler. Check out www.frozencpu.com for some prices and info. You could also go to www.newegg.com from prices and info.

Some of the more popular brands are:

1. Mugen
2. Noctua
3. Cooler Master

There are a lot of brands out there; just look around in the forums here at Tom's, as there are a lot of user input/experience. Also, if you're going to replace the CPU cooler, you should pick up some Artic Silver 5 thermal paste. Applying AS5 will help keep the CPU temp down.

As for the OC process, you seem to have a basic understanding of it. One thing to note about AMD CPUs is that they all have the same base clock, 200 MHz. Therefore, anything you read on OCing any non-Black Edition CPU can be applied to your CPU. That said, here are some pointers:

1. Increase your bclk by 5 MHz at a time. See if Windows will boot. If it does, reset the system and go back into the BIOS. Increase by another 5 MHz and repeat.

2. If/when Windows will not boot, get back into the BIOS and lower the bclk by 1 MHz, and then try again.

Once you've found that sweet spot, you can advance your OC by changing the Northbridge multiplier or frequency (if your BIOS allows). RAM and NB are synchronized to the blck; therefore, any change to the bclk will equate the same change to the RAM and NB.

3. Try to keep your NB as close to stock as possible.

4. Reduce the RAM frequency to regain stabililty.

These steps may seem like gibberish to you now, but if you provide what you see in the advanced pages of your BIOS, we may be able to assist you further.