GTX560 or HD6879 - 1680x1050

Status
Not open for further replies.

xzap042

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
Guys,

which one is better for gaming at 1680x1050. card should be below 200$, i'm looking at the two mentioned, current setup is E8400, 4GB DDR3, but will upgrade in future.

are the two cards mentioned overkill for the current setup?

I need to buy GPU and motherboard for current setup, or should i sell these processor and ram and get a new setup altogether.

recommendations?

Solution
Bottlenecking will vary depending on the game in question. Games that run fine on dual core CPUs won't likely get bottlenecked by your CPU. However, the more CPU heavy titles that don't perform well without at least 3 cores (Battlefield Bad Company 2, GTA IV, Deus Ex Human Revolution) may be bottlenecked by your CPU.

You have enough RAM for gaming, the vast majority of games can't use more than 2GB of RAM due to addressing limitations in the 32 bit exe files, and only a small handful of games have shipped with 64 bit executables. (off the top of my head the ones I can think of are Crysis, GTA IV, Left 4 Dead) Even with 64 bit exes, most games still won't go above 2GB. You only need to worry about RAM if you have a lot of applications...

COLGeek

Cybernaut
I assume you mean HD6870. Both GPUs would perform quite well at the resolution you are using and are not overkill (arguably there is no such thing.....).

What are you using now? Also, what games are you playing (plan on playing)?

da305kratos

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Personally I can gladly recommend the 560 non ti..the thing overclocks great. I got the MSI twin frozr ii for $180 a couple months ago. Also, this version of the card brings custom cooling which is needed when overclocking. Overclocked, this card is right there with the 560ti and challenges the the 6950 on certain games/benchmarks.

http://www.overclockers.com.au/article.php?id=959736&P=2

If you are curious as to how it runs any particular game let me know and i'll benchmark it for you if i have the game. That goes out to anyone curious in regards to this card.

xzap042

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
my concern is that if i pair it with E8400 and 4GB DDR3 would the processor bottleneck the GPUs?

i play mostly FPS games and only the most well known ones.

Bottlenecking will vary depending on the game in question. Games that run fine on dual core CPUs won't likely get bottlenecked by your CPU. However, the more CPU heavy titles that don't perform well without at least 3 cores (Battlefield Bad Company 2, GTA IV, Deus Ex Human Revolution) may be bottlenecked by your CPU.

You have enough RAM for gaming, the vast majority of games can't use more than 2GB of RAM due to addressing limitations in the 32 bit exe files, and only a small handful of games have shipped with 64 bit executables. (off the top of my head the ones I can think of are Crysis, GTA IV, Left 4 Dead) Even with 64 bit exes, most games still won't go above 2GB. You only need to worry about RAM if you have a lot of applications running in the background while you are playing.

Solution

COLGeek

Cybernaut

The bottom line is this, you will be fine for most games. This is what folks have been saying. Don't sweat it too much. Good luck!

personally I saw a huge jump in performance in BFBC2 going from a e8400 to a p2 955, much better minimums at least with the extra cores imo but it is true that only some games will use the additional cores but hey were heading into the future right~!?

Status
Not open for further replies.