Sign in with
Your question

XFX 6850 no display

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
September 8, 2011 12:06:52 PM

So when I first started up my card it worked fine.. even when I restarted it after installing drivers it worked fine.. but then when I powered down for the night it would not work anymore! Everything powers up but the monitor just tells me no signal :/  the weird thing is when I plug in my old card it'll boot fine.. and most of the time (not all) if I plug the 6850 back in it'll boot up again.. but if I power it down or if the monitor goes into power saving mode it wont work and I'll have to try plugging the old card in again.. any idea what could be wrong? I can still send it back for a replacement, but it doesn't seem like the card is faulty.. and I don't want wait for a replacement just to find out it's compatibility issue!

Also i've tried uninstalling all drivers and running driver sweeper.. I even updated my bios for my motherboard (p5n-e sli)

please help

More about : xfx 6850 display

September 8, 2011 12:18:32 PM

can you try a different monitor cable? are you using dvi, vga, or hdmi? I have a monitor that actually crashes sometimes. I have to unplug the monitor and plug it back in and then it will work fine. If none of those are the problem, then I would try to run some hardware diagnostics while the card is working.
m
l
September 8, 2011 12:20:36 PM

Hi Baysid, I'm having a similar issue but with a different board using intel P8P61 chipset (see my post). Please let me know if you have any luck with this or find the solution, I will of course do the same :) 

Are you getting the beeps as well? I get one long and 3 shgort beeps from the motherboard, indicating a GPU or BPU memory issue. The card works fine on another system
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
September 8, 2011 12:31:26 PM

baysid3 said:
So when I first started up my card it worked fine.. even when I restarted it after installing drivers it worked fine.. but then when I powered down for the night it would not work anymore! Everything powers up but the monitor just tells me no signal :/  the weird thing is when I plug in my old card it'll boot fine.. and most of the time (not all) if I plug the 6850 back in it'll boot up again.. but if I power it down or if the monitor goes into power saving mode it wont work and I'll have to try plugging the old card in again.. any idea what could be wrong? I can still send it back for a replacement, but it doesn't seem like the card is faulty.. and I don't want wait for a replacement just to find out it's compatibility issue!

Also i've tried uninstalling all drivers and running driver sweeper.. I even updated my bios for my motherboard (p5n-e sli)

please help

I had that issue with my old monitor, except the problem persisted through changing my gfx from a 4870x2 to a 6950. I realized it was my monitor after a while. Beyond that a temporary fix could be turn off your screen saver + sleep mode and just shut off your monitor when you walk away from your pc.
Edit: Assuming windows 7, go to power options -> Start bar, type Power > change plan settings > change advanced power settings > check out pcie setting // display
m
l
September 8, 2011 2:40:20 PM

but it only occurs on my 6850.. Using my old card (7900gs) I don't incur any issues. Therefor, I don't think it's an issue with my monitor
m
l
September 8, 2011 2:40:51 PM

but it only occurs on my 6850.. Using my old card (7900gs) I don't incur any issues. Therefor, I don't think it's an issue with my monitor
m
l
September 8, 2011 2:50:01 PM

sorry about the double post.. can't delete or edit them for some reason.. anyway I've tried multiple cables and an HDMI through the tv with no avail

@oddbodx

I don't have any beeping.. but i'll let you know if I fix it
m
l
September 8, 2011 7:14:40 PM

Hi Baysid.

Have resolved my issue; it turned out to be a dodgy PSU.

I was having the same thing, the new card wasn't working (no display) while the old card was. Neither card uses a separate power connector, and both are listed as having the same power consumption - so the PSU was the last thing I thought of. Also note that the PSU was a brand new 750w monster my friend (who's PC I was trying to fix) had bought to replace his old one which he thought was the source of the problem.

Can't promise it will fix your issue but would say it's definitely worth a try. If you can borrow a PSU or even better have another lying around this just might help. AMD suggest using a 500w power supply for the 6850 (although a lower, quality unit will do just fine).

And of course, the HD 6850 uses the extra 6 pin power connector, which I'm sure you already have connected :) 

Another thing that was suggested to me was to enter the bios and ensure that the PCI-Express Graphics (PEG) device was set as the primary display.

Apart from that all I can suggest is the things I've tried today which didn't work:

Update BIOS
Reset BIOS via jumper or battery
Try changing as many different pieces of hardware as you can (including trying RAM one stick at a time)

That said, your issue sounds similar to mine and I suspect that the PSU will be the issue in your case too.
m
l
September 8, 2011 11:07:12 PM

Did your card ever start tho? I can get mine to work randomly so i'm not sure if it's the psu... either way i'm going to check if it runs on a friends computer tomorrow. Until then i'll try the thing things you suggestions and hope for the best!

thanks for the help and congratz on finding the issue for your friends computer :p 
m
l
September 8, 2011 11:24:57 PM

Even if it has worked a few times, it could still be your PSU. What PSU do you have?
m
l
September 8, 2011 11:29:39 PM

NZXT 500watt.. I had no issues while playing games and putting the card under a full load, you think it could still be the psu?
m
l
September 9, 2011 2:40:32 AM

Well now it seems to work if I unplug and plug the 6pin, also making sure to discharge any extra power on the board.. So I guess I should try getting a new psu. I've installed a psu before but I don't really know what compatibility issues to look for when buying one.. any recommendations?
m
l
a c 171 U Graphics card
September 9, 2011 4:56:25 AM

you have a p5n-e SLI like me. They are well known for not supporting many new amd cards. I managed to get my 6850 going properly by doing the following. First update BIOS to newest and reset bios to defaults save and exit, if you dont do this the PC can sit there blank screen for 3 minutes before it displays. Another thing i had to do was remove the SLI selector then install the card. this drops it to pcie 1x speed and must have reset something to make it boot. Then boot it through and install drivers, shut down. Now remove the card and re-install the sli selector (i had to re-seat mine a couple of times to bring it up to the full 16x pcie speed) and install vid card and all should work.
m
l
September 11, 2011 3:55:16 AM

baysid3 said:
Did your card ever start tho? I can get mine to work randomly so i'm not sure if it's the psu... either way i'm going to check if it runs on a friends computer tomorrow. Until then i'll try the thing things you suggestions and hope for the best!

thanks for the help and congratz on finding the issue for your friends computer :p 

Hi Baysid and sorry for the long delay in replying! Yews, I had the same issue, card worked fine the first use, then randomly worked after that (usually after chaning some components around). In fact, I had it running for a full night and managed a full windows 7 install, plus driver installs and associated restarts - but on turning off the computer and powering back up, it stopped working again. Trying with another power supply resolved the issue.

Hope you manage to get it fixed buddy!
m
l
November 11, 2011 6:01:43 AM

I also had the same problem... I bought an XFX 6850 Black Edition... and had nothing but problems... and tech support was terrible for me. They first suggested I buy a new Power Supply Unit.. but when I told them there was nothing wrong with my current unit, the tech person closed out my ticket... eventually, another tech read what happened and reopened it back up... and I did end up buying another Power Supply... which ended up being a waste of money... Still had the same problems...

Skipping ahead... I went thru 3 XFX cards and all had the same problem... I sort of figured out what the problem is... my motherboard uses an older NVidia chipset... and it seems to be incompatible with this particular card. I read that other people have had the same problem... older Asus motherboard with NVidia chipset and XFX graphics card. It kind of sucks for me... because I never had any problems with my 8800GTS, which is currently inside my computer right now.

The thing now is... XFX will pretty much not provide any more support... so much for their lifetime warranty... so all I can do is take a LOSS on my purchase... and stick with my 8800GTS, which isn't really that much slower than the 6850...

m
l
November 11, 2011 6:10:37 AM

actually, this may sound stupid but I sometimes have a similar issue w/ my monitor(using a radeon HD 6870) and out of dumbluck i just re-plugged it and it worked fine.
give it a try!
m
l
November 11, 2011 6:21:49 AM

Done that... doesn't work... the sad thing is... I have 2 xfx 6850's sitting under my desk that I can't even use...
m
l
May 4, 2012 12:43:35 PM

Hi,

I'm having exactly the same issue. I've just purchased a XFX 6850 1GB(version with 2 pcie power connectors). Initially when I do swap my old VisionTek 4850 for the XFX6850 everything works. I get the drivers installed, I do a reboot and everything looks good. I shut down the machine for the night and the next time I start up, machine starts up but the monitors stay in standby mode. I do NOT see the POST, I get no error beeps from the MB and the HD light show activity(windows actually loads in the back ground). I left it on 4 minutes and nothing. I shutdown the system and put the original 4850 back in and every thing works again.

I read the thread. I tried changing power supplies(Cooler Master Silent Pro M 600w to XFX XXX 850W) and I get the same problem. It works when I remove 4850 and put the 6850 .. but then the next I time i do a cold start .. nothing show up.

Have I missed something? Any suggestions/help would be gratefully .. I still have a week to return the card(minus a 15% restocking fee .. better than having a card I can't use)

Here is my current system:

Asrock A780GXE/128MB (bios 1.8 - latest one)
AMD 920 Phemon II
Kingston Hyper X 4*2gb DDR2 800
WD Black 640GB(Boot drive)
WD Green 1TB
WD Green 1.5TB
Pioneer DVDRW(ide)
LG DVDRW(sata)
Cooler Master Silent Pro M 600W ---- Upgraded to XFX XXX 850W
m
l
!