can't surf using router

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Came back from vacation and found no one could access the
Internet (using our home ADSL line) thru our Linksys
wireless router. (Error msg 678: remote computer won't
answer.) I can easily surf using same ADSL line if I
bypass the router. I've tried everything...had the router
checked by the vender (while I watched him), swapped out
the cable I use between the modem and the router, and the
modem works fine. What's left???? My ISP is Earthlink.
They won't answer any questions about router connections
without charging a whopping markup for using a home
network, but I've been running the network for two years
without any problems. We hardly ever use it.
Do you suppose Earthlink has started denying access to
those of us who use home networks? Please help. I've
been working on this for days shutting down every
combination of hardware. TIA.

1. Connect PC to the router (You don't need to hook up
the modem)
2. START -> RUN -> type CMD
3. On the DOS prompt, type IPCONFIG
4. What Is the IP and Gateway?
5. Run IE, type the Gateway. What do you get?

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

I did it and got the IP Address and Gateway, but when I
tried step 5 while hooked up without the router (while
actually surfing), it just said Page Cannot Be Displayed.
(First I had tried step 5 while hooked up to the router
but NOT using a modem, and that gave me a Linksys window
asking for my name and pswd but it wouldn't accept them.)
I finally gave up and called Earthlink. Some Pakistani
said they don't support turd party networking. Guess I'm
going shopping for an ISP that will, but I really hate to
leave Mindspring. They've been a great ISP. Sad.

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

Finally fixed. The router vendor, PC Warehouse, had their
local techie call me. He said since the router works at
his store, but not at my home, it needs to be Reset, and
he walked me thru that procedure.
Note, the initial reply to my question by Mr. Anonymous
was helpful, too. It took me to the same place the hard
reset did. I just didn't know the secret Linksys username
and pswd, or what to click on in the key drop-down box.
Now I do. Thanks.