Sign in with
Your question

Asus M5a88-M System Restarts

Last response: in Motherboards
December 9, 2012 5:59:13 PM

Hello everybody.

First of all, I apologize if this is posted under the wrong section, I've been looking for the adequate place but couldn't really find one that suits very well, so if anyone with the ability to move the thread to a proper section, I will really appreciate it.

My PC specifications:

AMD FX-8150 3.6 GHz
Asus M5a88-M (with integrated graphics ATI Radeon HD 4250)
8 GB DDR3 Corsair Vengeance (2x4) in dual channel
750GB SATA II Western Digital
ASUS DVD Sata Unit
Windows 7 64 bits
Thermal Master Case TC-101B with 500 w PSU (supposedly designed from cooler master)

I just bought that new rig a week ago for using in Graphic Design (3d, photomanipulation etc) and as you can see I didn't added any dedicated graphic card as my budget was kinda limited so that's why I choose a MoBo with integrated graphics but thinking to buy a decent card in the future.

Well, my problem is that since the first day I started using my new pc, I notice that my system randomly crash, shoot down, restarts or reboot (not sure how to name it but the screen goes black and then pc restarts as if I had turned on the power and continues to boot, also known as POST screen as I just learned from this forums) but that screen show for more time than the usual, then another screen says something about "power supply surges detected during the previous power on, ASUS anti surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit" (so as far as I understand that's a feature from the Mobo

Now there's 2 scenarios from when the system crash:
1.- The screen goes black and then nothing else happens and I need to do a hard reboot (the screen power button blinks as a warn that no signal is being transmitted from the cpu) and then just boot normally.
2.- This second scenario is the worst I think and the one that does occur with high frequency compared to the scenario one; screen goes black and then show the post screen more than usual (as I have stated previously) and then after showing me the anti-surge message and committed to start windows normally, then it boots apparently normal but when I look carefully, the usb devices are not being detected as if they were nothing plugged to the motherboard (I have an usb mouse and a wacom tablet plugged to the pc, the mouse has a led which is on, the tabled also has a led but it is not on but either way none work at this point)

So I had t restart the pc at this point using the keyboard which is the only thing that works pretty fine, but then again I face problems because when the system is shooting down, it keeps shooting down for more time than usual and then through the speakers I can hear a high pitch noise which lasts as long as the system is trying to shoot down, just to end with a BSOD BUGCODE_USB_DIRVER and stop 0X000000FE . Then it reboots safely an nothing else happens.

So far the first thing I do is to contact my vendor to notify the problem, but since I couldn't take physically the pc until yesterday, I've been searching a lot to see if theres a solution to my problem but unfortunately without luck

At first I thought it was a PSU fault as I have read on this forums that those PSU units aren't good enough (no real watts etc) so yesterday after let the guys to do some test with my pc, at first they thought it was a MoBo malfunction so they replaced with a new one which unfortunately showed the same behavior after more tests so they came to the conclusion that the provided Fan with the processor wasn't enough to cool (I registered 55 °C when i was doing my own tests, 48-50 °C when normal)

One of their solution was to distress the processor from loads (because I notice the reboot happened when using programs like photoshop and watching youtube videos on HD at full screen and transferring high amount of data through USB all at the same time.) so they said i had to buy a dedicated GPU to distress the processor from those processes.

The second solution was to install a cooler big enough to cool the processor whom overheat (caused for the stress) would probably will be causing the reboots) so I ended buying a cooler master Hyper 212 plus wich cools the processor to 48 °C according to bios data. However today I just experienced the same reboot issue even with the new cooler installed so that's a clear sign that the heat was not the fault. I'm still tinking its the PSU unit which somehow is not delivering enough power to the components and when exceeded causes the crashes, however although I insisted to them, they said the PSU failure chances were minimal.

So now I'm gonna call again and tell the that their solution didn't work, and still going to insist about the PSU but I would like to have some advice from you guys, who have a lot of knowledge for this stuff, as the PSU I think could work, its $130 US (CX600 Corsair with 480 real watts) and that's a lot of money :( 

Thanks a lot in advance.
a c 150 Ĉ ASUS
a c 558 V Motherboard
December 9, 2012 7:07:45 PM

Hi, It might be an issue related to an USB device (mouse or tablet). Try testing the system with a different mouse and no other USB devices installed than the keyboard.
m
l
December 9, 2012 9:51:52 PM

Hi alexoiu, thanks for your kindly reply.

I have tried your solution, in fact I did boot without any usb device plugged and only used my keyboard to do some tests. Unfortunately my system keeps crashing/rebooting. :( 

Also, I failed to mention that it only shows this behavior 1 time after I completely shoot down the pc in the normal way (like i.e when I finished my work and shut down the pc and then turn it on again some minutes later) after it crash and reboots it wont crash anymore (at least has not happened me but couldn't be sure)

I also updated the MoBo Bios today to the last version but still have the issue. What I'm trying now is to install windows 7 sp1 but for some reason I'm getting a strange bug (windows related) that prevents me to install sp1 :S

This is driven me crazy =/

m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
December 9, 2012 10:20:55 PM

You may be getting a power surge into the input of your power supply. Put your computer on a surge protector. Some old buildings with large electric motors, (elevators, old air conditioners, refrigeration, air compressors ...) can cause power spikes if they are on the same circuit. The spike can travel thru the power supply to the motherboard and trigger the motherboard protection.

cheap power supply can spike when they are first turned on. There should be a delay circuit to indicate that the power is stable before the motherboard is powered.

do you ever get a crash dump code?
m
l
December 9, 2012 11:51:25 PM

Hello John

Well, the only dump I get is this one related to the USB, which happens after the first random reboot when my usb devices are not recognized. Here's the 2 screens I get:

Also, your point about the cheap power supply has a lot of sense. But how can I test if it is a power supply malfunction without having to buy new one and if I have no other PSU unit to see if my pc has the same behavior?

Note. Those screenshots were taken the first time I got the reboot issues, in that particular case I had an external Seagate Hard Drive unit transferring files when the reboot happened, but later I discarded the Hard Drive as the issue keep happens without the unit being connected to the USB 3.0
m
l
a b V Motherboard
December 10, 2012 12:27:09 AM

-the first problem could be related to a power surge.
-the second problem could be related to a bug in AMD south bridge controller sb850
here is a link and potential fix for the second problem
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/982091
you can select the fix it button or follow the instructions

apply the fix and see if your problem goes away. I suspect it will and you will not have to worry about your power supply.

if the fix works it is a known bug in the AMD USB chips on the motherboard.
The error from the BIOS would be a side effect from the chip bug.
I would guess your power supply, graphics, memory, motherboard and hard drive will run fine after you apply the fix to disable the hardware bug
m
l
December 10, 2012 3:52:55 AM

Hi again.

I've tried the fix tool you provided John, with a lot of expectation but after installing and rebooting, then turning off the power and turning on again, I still experiment the same issue (pc reboots and then no usb devices detected and when trying to turn off again the BSOD appears)

I have only one last thing I would like to try before going for the new PSU, I will try to install windows 8 and see if it has the same error, just to discard software issues but if you or someone else has some more ideas, they will be more than welcome.
m
l
December 16, 2012 11:46:34 AM

Hi Megalomania, am nnkdvl am also experiencing the same problem my PC works for few hours and reboots automatically some times it gets shut down but i don't get any error message. I have tried all possibilities give here except flashing the bios, am using :
Processor : FX6100
MB : M5A88-M
HD: Seagate 2TB 7200rpm
RAM : 4GB Corsair 1333 MHZ
PSU : Zebronics Platinum Series 600 watts
m
l
December 18, 2012 12:36:30 AM

Hello

I was able to fix my problem but I forget to come back and tell about it.

Basically what I did was just setting the Bios under the overclock settings (AI T weaker) and change the CPU Overclocking from manual to D.O.C.P (which allows you to select an overclock profile from the DRAM) and it automatically tells that it would adjust my DRAM speed automatically, changing to 1600 MHz (before it was at 1333 MHz) and that fixed my problem, no more reboots.

I must say that I really didn't known exactly what I did, I was just messing with the Bios trying to see if I was able to fix my problem since I read on the manual that using FX series, uses 1600 Mhz natively and since mine was at lower, then I decided to give it a try and it worked.

Hope it helps you or somebody else :) 
m
l
December 18, 2012 12:43:46 AM

nnkdvl said:
Hi Megalomania, am nnkdvl am also experiencing the same problem my PC works for few hours and reboots automatically some times it gets shut down but i don't get any error message. I have tried all possibilities give here except flashing the bios, am using :
Processor : FX6100
MB : M5A88-M
HD: Seagate 2TB 7200rpm
RAM : 4GB Corsair 1333 MHZ
PSU : Zebronics Platinum Series 600 watts

Hello

I posted the way I was able to fix my problem, but looking at your specs I noticed you have 1333 Mhz Ram, in my case my Ram was meant to work at 1600 MHz speed, so I'm not sure if you can fix your problem using my solution. You can always give it a try but be careful when you messing with the bios, you have to take note on what settings you have before you tweak something.

Also, just as me at first thought, I would try to check if your PSU is working correctly.
m
l
!