Sign in with
Your question

Motherboard start up problems, memory not fully reading.

Last response: in Motherboards
December 9, 2012 6:05:08 PM

I've had this system for a month or two, and I've never really cared for this issue as with SSDs the boot-up is insanely fast. But now, I think it's about time to start troubleshooting.

First off, here is my build.

CPU: Intel i7 3820
GPU: GeFroce GTX 670 4GB
RAM: Mushkin 8GB DDR3 1600 7-9-8-24 CL 7, 1.65 V
SSD: Mushkin 120GB SSD
Mobo: ASRock X79 Extreme6

That's the main parts, so now for the problem. First off, this one should be an easy fix. Where in the world does ASRock keep their memory stored in the BIOS? My ram is reading 1330 and I can't find the silly thing to take it off of auto read so that I can manually type in 1600.

The not so easy fix, my motherboard has a problem at start-up. It always boots up three times (unless I take off the ACHI mode). Depending on where my SSD is (which holds my OS), it will say No Device Found, No Device Found, MKNSSD (My SSD). It boots all the time unless I change the order where my SSD isn't the last choice. So it's still playable, runs perfectly, no freezing, glitches, or anything else. Other than the start-up.

I think this should get us going. And yes, I know I spent a crazy amount of cash that I'll probably never see.
Related resources
December 11, 2012 4:38:02 PM

I guess this isn't an easy fix. That or I'm in the wrong forums.
m
l
December 26, 2012 2:33:48 PM

Sheesh, such a small problem and nobody knows what to do. O.o The memory I an fix later whenever I find the manual, it's the multiple boots that I'm concerned for.
m
l
December 27, 2012 10:32:39 PM

200 views and no responses. Yeah I'll probably get banned from all these bumps.
m
l
December 28, 2012 5:49:02 AM

FlyingSheep said:
That's the main parts, so now for the problem. First off, this one should be an easy fix. Where in the world does ASRock keep their memory stored in the BIOS? My ram is reading 1330 and I can't find the silly thing to take it off of auto read so that I can manually type in 1600.

RTFM: See the portion (starting at pg 77) about the UEFI BIOS, Overclocking settings and DRAM timings. http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X79%20Extreme6GB/?cat=Ma...
FlyingSheep said:
The not so easy fix, my motherboard has a problem at start-up. It always boots up three times (unless I take off the ACHI mode). Depending on where my SSD is (which holds my OS), it will say No Device Found, No Device Found, MKNSSD (My SSD). It boots all the time unless I change the order where my SSD isn't the last choice. So it's still playable, runs perfectly, no freezing, glitches, or anything else. Other than the start-up.

Sanity check: always make sure your primary boot device is plugged into SATA port 0
m
l
!