Is my dell 4700 motherboard fried and if so what next?

petrolhead28

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
My dingly Dell was chugging along and then one day it wouldn't boot and ran a very high fan speed.

From other posts I think that it may be the motherboard, and yes it appears that I have a 4700 that has the fan blowing the wrong way given the fluff mat that I found on top of the heatsink nicely insulating it.

I have over the years upgraded the ram, replaced the sound card and the HDD.

Is it worth repairing?

petrolhead28

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
Is no one able to help me? When I fire her up the fan runs at turbo speed and nothing boots. I have taken the side off de dusted the interior and reversed the fan. What is uner the heat sink that the fan blows onto and would motherboard replacement be easy enough for a spanner money like me?

petrolhead28

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
I have found a refurbished motherboard on ebay for £50.00. I have looked at e how and think I can do the job, so I will order one. If it all works then fine and i will feel well chauffed that I have fixed my broken machine. I will be back asking for the bios settings as I never had a chance to collect them from the machine before I could weffect the repair. Any sugestions on better cooloing would be helpful. :wahoo: